Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a beautiful day here in Maryland. I had to run an errand this Sunday morning and decided to take the long way back. Had Ray's "Genius Loves Company" playing in my earphones, the Sun is shining, about 55 degrees, all back roads, only 1 light on the loop I had planned. Cruised behind a 700 sportbike on a pretty windy Woodstock road, had no trouble keeping up till we went separate ways. I'm just cruising about 40, see a little sparkle in the road, too late to miss, it hits the bottom of the bike. I keep on cruising, checked the front tire at a stop - no problem. About 25 minutes later, a couple of miles from home, my rear suddenly starts slewing back and forth. I've had a rear flat before, so I keep the bike straight up, feathering both brakes to stop. I come to a stop, figuring I had a flat. As soon as I stop, the oil light comes on and smoke is filtering up. I shut off the bike, and get off to inspect it. Both tires are up, but there is a telltale trail of oil for about 40 feet and my rear tire is covered.

I get mad at the Suzuki dealer, figuring they forgot to tighten something when they changed the oil a couple of weeks ago. I'm stuck on the side of the road, about 2 miles from my house, and a mile from the dealership. Too far to push it, but there are several local tow companies, so I use my cell to call. The first two don't tow bikes, the third doesn't, but gives me a name of someone who does. I call him - he's in New York for the weekend, suggests someone from Montgomery county, about 40 miles away.

I called my wife to come and get me and figure out how I'll get the bike to the shop. While waiting for her, I decide to look underneath to see where it is leaking. Surprise, surprise, that little shiny thing put a hole in the oil filter. It must have stuck there for a while, because I drove over a lot of windy roads before it started leaking enough to notice.

I don't keep any extra oil filters at home - that will change, and no motorcycle dealers are open on Sunday. Google found me a conversion chart for filters that fit and I found one at Salvo. Did my second oil change in two weeks down a little side street laying on the road, cranked her up, and rode home, no harm done.

I do regret 4 hours of riding time on this beatiful day, but did have the satisfaction of fixing the problem myself.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Glad you made it to a safe stop, wonder what that " little sparkle" was.
piece of chrome off a cage no doubt, I guess you can say you were lucky after all,
that could have shredded your tire real fast. :(
I caught the edge of a muffler tail pipe section on the express years ago. Cost me a new front tire and about 10 years off my life :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
drspencer48 said:
Surprise, surprise, that little shiny thing put a hole in the oil filter.
do you mean to say that the oil filter on a 650 is located on the outside like a car is? On the 400 it's inside a housing.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I think I'd buy a Lotto ticket after that one. One in a million chance, that.

Glad things worked out well for you, though. 8)

Steve

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
First off congrats on keeping your machine upright while riding on an oil slick. Also congrats on your roadside repair. You saved yourself a towing charge and dealer labour costs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts