Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going on rides here in Florida I see a lot of crosses along side of the road. It's very depressing. It means someone suffered the ultimate crash. It's usually right at the middle of a turn. That happened to a friend of mine recently but he survived. How come I never see a star of David for Jewish riders. Are they as a group more careful? When I pass one I say a prayer to myself. Rest in peace.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The crosses are set up by friends and family and they presumably use a symbol which is meaningful to them. The ones set up by the state (FDOT) are round, white with black lettering, and list the victim's name. More info can be found HERE.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
ChipDoc, thank you for the vary informative link. I hope my friends or myself never need to use it.
Marv, we all should use this post as a reminder to keep an eye out for any situation that my get our name on one of those markers.
I wish everyone a safe and happy new year.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I see many in the UK, one had a bottle of Vodka among the other stuff and one I
pass regularly usually as fresh flowers and a kids wind mill, it as been like that
for at least 20 years, it marks the place a baby had a heart attack and unfortunately died in a car no crash just one of those things unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
It's usually right at the middle of a turn. That happened to a friend of mine recently but he survived.
Your friend is lucky as curves/turns in Florida are rare. Next to the Midwest they have the straightest roads around with no hills either. :rolleyes:
My Jewish friend would not make a monument at an accident site and abhors them. I don't know if that holds true for all of that faith but it does for him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are a number of them out here is Arizona. My personal observation is that the names on the monuments are usually Hispanic. My assumption is the vast majority of the Hispanic population are most often Catholic. I do not personally know Hispanic people of Jewish faith. I put 1 and 1 together and believe I have arrived at 2. Your milage may vary.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
hey, it is interesting it also happens some states of the US, i thought it happened only in SouthAmerica, I haven't seen any in Europe but in the UK though.

over here they are doing this memorials for bikers dead in the city as well:

These are the kind for road memorials:

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
over here they are doing this memorials for bikers dead in the city as well:

We have these here in the States too. Friends of a bicyclist killed on the road spray-paint a bicycle white and build a little memorial around it. Here they call them "ghost bikes" and you see quite a few of them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I wonder just how many of these road deaths are a result of side effects of medication or butchered surgery. Our politicians are using road users as the whipping boy for their lack of action on real problems in our society especially when the number one killer in the USA and most countries using modern medicines is medical malpractice. It runs into the 100's of thousands yearly and outstrips the other illnesses created by our gm foods and chemicals added to it. Margarine for example has seen a major increase in allergies since its introduction, plus heart disease and cholesterol as well. given this product is one molecule away from plastic, stinks when made and looks sickly grey sludge till it perfumed and coloured golden yellow.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Though we have medical malpractice over here too, a horrifying number of our deaths are alcohol related. I don't think many of them are margarine related though.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think it dumb , I had a friend kill on the interstate, everytime I pass the spot I think of her,I don't need a cross to show me where she was kill, or how she was kill.......

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I know how you feel, PapaS. But I think of it a different way - perhaps someone driving by will actually think about it and thereby save his life or others down the road.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Cant say I like them much, have told those that matter not to do it for me
if I bite the dust.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The thing about memorials and funerals they are not for the dead but those left behind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts