Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Next week I start a 4,000 mile round-trip journey from Raleigh, North Carolina to Yellowstone National Park and back.

So as not to have to get an oil change during the trip, before I leave I will be doing an oil change switching from:

Maxima Premium4 10W-40 Motorcycle Engine Mineral Oil

to

Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil SAE 15W-40

Is there any risk of doing so?

Are there any precautions I should take or concerns I should have?

I did an oil and filter change 1,200 miles ago, should I also replace the filter?

Thank you!

Justin

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Doesn't appear to have any issues, though I went to the Shell website and found only one review where a guy says his clutch is slipping (wet clutch) but all the other biker reviews only say good things about that synthetic oil. Can't think of an issue for the Burgman to use it. Just carry a spare top-up bottle in case you burn some.
Have a great trip,
Steve

·
Registered
113 Posts
That oil is Jaso MA and MA2 certified so as for your clutch it is within spec. However, the oil will be thicker when the engine is cold but same as spec (40) when hot. I would imagine your fuel consumption will be higher until the engine has reached operating temp. I just question the wisdom of using an oil engineered for heavy working diesel engines, in a small motorcycle engine. I think you will do better using Mobil 1 4T racing motorcycle oil. Also, synthetic oil is just better than mineral oil. It simply takes longer to break down the polymers and mineral oil has more ash which leads to more contaminants. Just my thought!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Should be no issues. I've done that after the initial oil change with a few new bikes I've owned, and at the first oil change for used bikes I've bought.
Rotella T6 full synthetic should be fine for a wet clutch setup like in the Burgman 650. It is NOT Resource nor Energy Conserving and it IS JASO MA/MA2 spec so good on both those points.
A great many riders I know use that with absolutely no issues and have used it in their bikes for many years. I've been using it since 2004 with no issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Steve_YYZ, @Kobus, @rjs987 - Thank you each so much for the prompt replies, very helpful. One additional question:

I did an oil and oil filter change 1,200 miles ago, should I also replace the filter this time too?

Justin

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
I have about 150,000 miles on Shell Rotella T6 5W40. Have not blown up yet. Nether has 10,000 of other motorcycle riders that use T6 in their bikes.

But a few
( * ) members will cry out it is not listed in the service manual as an acceptable oil.
* Sphincter Retentive

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Justin, that filter will be good till next oil change.

Never use any 'Racing' grade oil or filters on a street bike. Race grade oil is made to be dumped after every race and not good for 1,000 of miles. Race grade oil filters have huge 40 + micron size filtering as again they expect you to dump the oil after race day.
A street grade filter is nothing bigger than 21 Microns but will catch even smaller ones too.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Most of the Suzuki products I've seen call for a new filter every third oil change. I usually do every other, unless I lose count.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I go to any chain store and buy the least expensive semi- or full synthetic oil. NON-energy conserving for my wet clutch bikes and and anything for the Burgman. I have been known to gather all the half bottles of m/c oil I have accumulated, mix 'em up and do an oil change with that. Gasp! Never had a lube problem on anything from a ZZR1200 to a Valkyrie Interstate to a vintage Honda 900 and many more. I rarely even keep much track of how many miles the oil has, just change it when it looks black in the sight window. Listen to the $20+ per quart purists howl now.

·
Registered
113 Posts

I do not think Mobil 4T Racing is a racing oil, it is just the name, trade mark. It is a motorcycle engine oil for any motorcycle, but specifically designed for performance engines and as such it appears to be an excellent oil for the high revving Burgman 650.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts