Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Burgman 650 suspension has been an occasional topic here. I had an unexpected chance to really depend on the Burgs legs this last ride.

Rt. 122 is an old rural rd that connects the westbound country lanes with the Quabin resevoir loop. Ever hear of the Quabin? In the early part of this century, the growing Boston Metro Area needed more water, and so the Metropolitan Distric Commision was formed to oversee the flooding of teh Quabin valley - which was well settled.

They said to the folks there, 'Boston needs water, here is some money, do you civic duty and move somewhere". Back then people did what the govt told them too, and they abandoned the beautiful valley. Nowadays, there would be legal battles for 50 years. Woods hole oceanographic sent divers down to the bottom of the town there at the bottom of the Quabbin, and still see evidence of past life as it once was, and a thriving marine ecosystem- icluding saltwater species that should not, in theory, be able to live there.

Anyhoo: Rt 122 has very broad sweepers, the kind we like. I was leaned way over on the inside line when the seemingly good pavement went into ripples. The bend tightened and was now going uphill, and I said to myself, 'this will be interesting'.

It was roungh at 90 slowing to 75 with engine braking only..and as I came to a more gentle bend back S exit, the whoops became really whoopsy.

I have to say that the Burgy's suspension is at least as good at high speed control and keeping the wheels on the ground, when it counts, as any larger road bike I have owned.

I ight say that the low velocity compliance around town over potholes might need improvement, but hey !

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
abm,

Gosh, you just sent me into a nostalgia loop. I lived in Connecticut for many years, and I've ridden all the good roads up in northern Massachusetts, Vermont & New Hampshire. Most of them anyway. I know that stretch up by the Quabbin Reservoir.

The stock 650 suspension is pretty competent at handling - I've ridden worse. Switching to the Ikon shocks improve the ride compliance a lot, and handling is great. Just went for a 70 mile ride with the Ikons AND the new Pirelli rear tire. Sweet! I'm running 41 psi in the Pirelli, and the ride is better than it was with the Bridgestone at 36 psi with the stock shocks. Feels rock solid in the curves too.

·
Registered
498 Posts
abm, that's the way - show it who's boss! I rode past a police speed trap at full bank last Saturday out in the unpopulated mountains at about 50mph. The limit on that road is 25mph. Thank god they were packing up. Heaven knows why they were there, but perhaps the fact that there was a marathon being run nearby is the key - I've never seen police in the mountains in 5 years over here...

Paul, how much were those Ikon shocks? I personally have to agree with abm that this suspension has no problems at all with sports riding, but leaves just a little to be desired over rough surfaces. This is the only gripe that the girlfriend has, and as I bought the thing to ride in tandem with her I suppose I better accomodate her on this one.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Lycheed,

Eurotech Motorsports in California quoted a price of $349.00 pr for the Ikon shocks. They are the USA distributor. They could get the price down to about $295.00, if they got 10 orders from the forum members at once. They had one pair on the shelf that they had bought back when the dollar was stronger overseas. I got that set for $225.00. Being in Japan, you might find different pricing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts