Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
23,202 Posts
TwoWheelTim said:
PS. Is there a thread on updating the knowledge base? I would like to submit some additions for review. Tim
Tim, Colchicine (Kory) was heading up the knowledge base but he has not been on here in many months. No explanation to the general membership of why he left, Maybe a Mod knows. Between about 10 MAJOR contributors in the past, this forum has been one of the best in the WHOLE WWW.

Colchicine last visited: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:20 pm. He has 5991 posts logged. Sometimes a member walks away, some are BANNED and the general members do not hear why.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Funny part is that after I broke down I took my tablet out and started reading past threads and knew that the turn signal fuse was the main culprit.

As luck would have it I still managed to miss it even with pulling the fuse out.

I usually carry a voltmeter with me when I go on long trips which is bagged in a separate tool box, will have to add something to my
everyday tool pouch for around town riding.

going to stop by the auto shop tomorrow and restock a dozen 10, 15, 20 and 40 amp spare fuses.
Suzuki is nice enough to provide one spare 10 and 15 amp fuses in the fuse box.

a pic just in case people are wondering where that pesky fuse is:

[attachment=0:2g02zpo7]IMG_6862.JPG[/attachment:2g02zpo7]

I have started working on a DIY / FYI which I will add to my Burgman center.

The scoot is totally paralyzed when this little fuse blows and now that I have been through it, I think others should know what the symptoms are:

- Dash blacks out
- No fuel pump action when bike is turned on
- Starter button is dead, no action
- Turn signals don't work
- Horn does not function
- Clock stays on

One thing that threw me off a bit is that when you switch to the park position, the turn signals will work individually or in tandem when you use the hazard button.

Thanks again for the quick replies and help.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
LeDude said:
Funny part is that after I broke down I took my tablet out and started reading past threads and knew that the turn signal fuse was the main culprit.

One thing that threw me off a bit is that when you switch to the park position, the turn signals will work individually or in tandem when you use the hazard button.
Sounds like the prudent choice for anyone experiencing the problem, when in doubt swap it out.

In the park lamp position the ignition switch uses a different feed for the lights probably by design so if other stuff failed park/hazards would still work.

·
Administrator
23,202 Posts
I took LeDudes pic and added to it. The fuse has two metal test points that you can stick a test lead point on. If power is on only one side of the fuse, its blown. If power is not on ether side, it could mean that circuit is just not activated at that time, or the problem could be before that fuse.

[attachment=0:3hly79c8]Fuse's.JPG[/attachment:3hly79c8]

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
ErikDK said:
Could somebody please post a picture of the fuse box on a properly dressed Burgman?
Check the air filter DIY on burg man center it has plenty of pics of where the
fuse box is and a video

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Once again, thanks are due, Le Dude, and other valuable contributors such as Redbeard, for increasing my knowledge on this machine.
:cheers:

·
Registered
32 Posts
What an interesting thread by some good contributors. Sure wish I had found it yesterday before I completely dismantled everything electrical on my '03 650 looking for that dang fuse.(I checked the ignition fuse, but nothing else in the cluster, not thinking in a million years it would be a freakin' TURN SIGNAL FUSE.) Then I called Roy Ryall who remembered your post, and 5 min. later was back up and running. Sure am impressed by how many helpful folks are here on BUSA. You are all greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Glad to hear that you were able to find the problem and fix. I learned the hard way about this little design snafu which can totally paralyze the scoot and leave you stranded.

I now carry a lot of additional fuses and the right tool for checking them.

all the best....

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
A fuse blowing is a symptom not a failure. Fuses do not blow for no reason, they are telling you there is a problem. Unless you find it and repair it the problem will only get worse. I know intermittent shorts can be a PITA but at least you don't have as many places to look on a bike vs a car. :)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.