Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
My first suspect would be the battery.

What is the battery voltage with no load? It should be 12.6 V if fully charged--anything less then it is either not charged or has a bad cell. If you have to charge it wait an hour or so before checking the no load voltage. If you have access to a variable load tester place a 40 A load on it for 15 seconds, it should hold at least 10.5 V.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
11.9, 12.2 are not good for a battery that should have been fully charged. Were you able to monitor the voltage while trying to start it?

The horn is a straight electro-mechanical interface/device--it is the stock horn right?--which does not require a whole lot of current making it odd that it would not sound assuming the fuses are OK. Dead/failing cells can be weird though, providing close to normal voltage under very light loads and then contributing nothing as the load increases.

My '03 400 draws an initial load of 58.4 A tapering off to 15.6 A while the fuel pump is priming, then 13.2 A with just the lights, ECM, etc. I am sure the 650 is not dissimilar, that big initial load could be pulling the voltage low enough to glitch the instrument cluster and ECM...

The lower trace (blue) was recorded using a 10 mV/amp DC current clamp. The upper trace (red) is battery voltage, you can see that the voltage dropped 2.8 V or so on the initial surge then recovered 2.0 V of that within 100 ms...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.