Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I own a 2003 Burgman 400 VIN #132100307 with about 15K miles on her. Love the machine and have owned it for over 17 years. The right Glove Box/Compartment door shared off recently just above the hinge. Not able to repair with glue.
Any thought on where I can buy/get a replacement compartment cover for my 17+-year-old? Connecticut USA based.

See attached pictures and why I believe is the part number. Thanks for any thoughts & help. TRomero
2003 Burgman Right Compart. door.jpg
2003 Burgman Right Compart. door.jpg 2003 Burgman Right Compart. door inside..jpg
2003 Burgman Right Compart. door.jpg
2003 Burgman Right Compart. door inside..jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Shame.
Also if you know how to use a solder iron and got some PP (or maybe its abs) plastic to weld into each other. Then use some fiberglass mesh to cover the area for support and gour it down with plastic 2 part epoxy im certain it could work.
Or try ebay for a used part. I im curious if youll need to open the whole body panel to access the mount connection

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
If you can not find the replacement part you could reweld the hinge parts back on if you have them.

In the picture, the >PP-T15< is PolyPropylene with 15% talc added. So to reweld it you just need some scrap PP and a small soldering iron/gun to melt the parts.

Adding talc to PP notably enhances its properties, including greater stiffness/rigidity; higher impact strength (particularly at sub-zero temperatures); better heat, creep and chemical resistance; and especially increased dimensional stability, even after molding.

Reactions: s-steel and Rusty J

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you can not find the replacement part you could reweld the hinge parts back on if you have them.

In the picture, the >PP-T15< is PolyPropylene with 15% talc added. So to reweld it you just need some scrap PP and a small soldering iron/gun to melt the parts.

Adding talc to PP notably enhances its properties, including greater stiffness/rigidity; higher impact strength (particularly at sub-zero temperatures); better heat, creep and chemical resistance; and especially increased dimensional stability, even after molding.

Power
I own a 2003 Burgman 400 VIN #132100307 with about 15K miles on her. Love the machine and have owned it for over twenty years. The right Glove Box/Compartment door shared off recently just above the hinge. Not able to repair with glue.
Any thought on where I can buy/get a replacement compartment cover for my 17+-year-old? Connecticut USA based.

See attached pictures and why I believe is the part number. Thanks for any thoughts & help. TRomero
Power-Etc Plastic Weld kit. Brilliant bit of kit.... Search eBay for it.
Peter

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Soldering iron and a zip tie :)
You can embed something for strength.

Practice beforehand. (I can never get as neat as Quantum Mechanic does it)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
... snipped ... I own a 2003 Burgman 400 VIN #132100307 with about 15K miles on her. Love the machine and have owned it for over twenty years. ... Any thought on where I can buy/get a replacement compartment cover for my 17+-year-old?
You've own a 17 y.o. scooter for 20 years? Arithmetic is not my strength but something seems a wee bit amiss here.

Reactions: s-steel and JRoss

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ha ha! I hadn’t noticed that! 😆

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
I changed it to 17 years. ???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Power
Power-Etc Plastic Weld kit. Brilliant bit of kit.... Search eBay for it.
Peter
Thanks Peter... I'll give this a try. What is the specific name of the plastic weld kit? Is it "Power etc. Plastic Weld Kit" or is there another name or manufacturer?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think I had a typo in my post, it should have read "Power Tec".

I've used this stuff as well on broken lugs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts