Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Ridley motorcycle

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  pauljo 
#1 ·
Last night on 2 wheel tues they were testing the Ridley automatic, Bill put some info up or Norman :wink:

#7 ·
I watched the 2 wheel Tuesday show and saw the Ridely episode. They commented that the 750 Ridley puts out 38 hp. Now they didn't say if that was at the crank or at the wheel. If it's at the wheel than our own 650 Burgmans would out perform the Ridley's. If it's at the crank than our 650s would walk all over the Ridley as Suzuki reports our HP as 55.

#8 ·
The 3/4 size Ridley's have been around for a number of years. The full size cruisers came out lone or two model years ago, I believe. I toyed with the idea of getting a Ridley when I was doing my research, but the Burgman won out. Guess one of my main reasons is getting service - would be tough as there are no dealers any where near here.

I think the Ridleys look ok, but compared to the Volusia (I'm drooling over it right now) there is no comparison with looks or power.

Madonna

#9 ·
#10 ·
Yeah, I saw that episode last night and too bad those folks haven't discovered the wonderful world of the mega scooters. The Ridley looks rather dated and too much like rolling jewellery. Too much chrome like all the bikes from Orange County choppers and the like. Not much fancy engineering or thoughtful applications of the automatic transmission like the 650 burgman. I was rather disappointed in that program because if I was "joe" public I think I would think Ridley were the only manufacturers of two wheeled automatics. I was rather disappointed in the 2 wheel tuesday program.

It seemed to just go for the flash and dash. Sport bike, them low rider, then sport bike then...you know what I mean. Just my two cents.

#11 ·
I just watched it. TIVO recorded it for me (skipped the commercials 8) ).

Ridley looks pretty old school to me. But that KTM950 - schweeeet!

I believe the Honda Shadow 750 has around the same horsepower. I also believe the Ridley would probably stomp the Honda. I happen to know that the Burger King stomps the Shadow - at least it stomps a Shadow with $1300 worth of 'speed' equipment :D . I suspect the Ridley might make a slightly better showing, but not much.

Steve

#13 ·
allwalk said:
I watched the 2 wheel Tuesday show and saw the Ridely episode. They commented that the 750 Ridley puts out 38 hp. Now they didn't say if that was at the crank or at the wheel. If it's at the wheel than our own 650 Burgmans would out perform the Ridley's. If it's at the crank than our 650s would walk all over the Ridley as Suzuki reports our HP as 55.
I'm not at home now, so can't find the article, but Motorcycle Consumer News tested the AN650 and found the horsepower to be 55 at the crank and 33 (I think) at the wheel, so a little less than the Ridley's 38 if that's also at the wheel.

If the Ridley's HP is only 38 at the crank then they are having real problems with that 750cc engine!

#15 ·
NormanB said:
I would reckon that the 650 would be nearer 40hp at the rear wheel (27% transmission losses on a 400 is the 650 going to be worse than that?)
Okay, I'm home now and have the article.

I remembered wrong. The tests showed 58.6 lb. ft. maximum torque, and 37.4 HP, not 33 as I (mis-)remembered.

So that means we're virtually on a par with Ridley's 750. And I bet mine's more comfortable, too. 8)

#16 ·
Ridley test ride

A couple weeks ago my neighbor and I went to Sarasota, Fl and test rode a Ridley. Sticker price $19,000. It looks and sounds like a chopper and makes you want to run out and get some tatoos and some eye candy for the back seat. My neighbor, Don just sold his Harley soft tail and wanted to replace it with an automatic. He rode the Ridley and priced out buying a new one just the way he wanted it and it came to $20,000 out the door. The bike looks and sounds good and I am sure we will see other manufactures coming out with the same configiration. When it came to performance the Burgman 650 did everything better. speed, ride, comfort.
When we got home Don took my Burgman out and rode for a while and then came home and ordered a new 2005 Burgman 650. The dealer says its on the boat and should be here sometime in February.

#17 ·
Re: Ridley test ride

Dennis Gross said:
The dealer says its on the boat and should be here sometime in February.
Ya gotta love it!. Somebody should write a book. "Things Dealers Have Said". It would be entertaining at the least.

Now if the guy had given the exact latitude and longitude of the ship that the scooter is on... I'd be impressed!

Dennis,

It is interesting that your friend rode a Ridley and then your Burgman 650 and opted to buy a Burgman. When you factor in cost and practicality, the Burgman is the clear winner. But if you consider those factors when comparing a Corvette to a mini-van, the mini-van wins. At "mid-life crisis" time, or if you are shopping for a special "toy", the Corvette sure appeals, regardless of that.

Anyway, I'm glad he made that choice. We all know he will ride the Burgman more often, and get more enjoyment from it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.