Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm one of those who's giving thought to trading in my big bike (intruder 1400) for a burgie 650 next spring. Now, my wife and I ride with a goldwing group, and do weekly trips to dinner, and well as longer weekend trips. Partly because of a medical problem I have, and secondly because I'm lookiing for both comfort and more of a quiet ride, thats why I'm giving thought to the burgman. Now, power isn't that big of a deal with me, but I am concerned with the fact that when riding two up, will the 650 be powerful enough to be able to keep up with others?
It would be so nice to have a bike quiet enough that I can hear what my wife says to me, without having to shout at each other.
So, what say ye all, is the 650 got enough power to do two up and do highway speeds, even be able to pass others?

·
Registered
120 Posts
As a happy Burgman owner, this machne has no problem with 2 up at any speed. It has power to spare, even when passing. You begin to wonder if there is a stop to the throttle.

There seems to be a stigma of a so-called "scooter" not having the power to go you where you want to go, quickly. It's just a motorcycle in scooter clothing.

Like Nike say's....JUST DO IT

RIDE ON

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
One of the best priceless moments I've had is when me 6' 200lbs and with my passenger at the time my 14 yr old 6'2" son as a passenger we were cruising along the highway when 3 Harleys passed us and when we waved they snubbed us. Well it was at that time I realized we were running a little late :wink: so I pulled out and gunned it. We passed the Harleys doing 155 and climbing and as typical we waved once again with no response :D from the Harleys. So I guess to answer your question is that yes the 650 has lots of power to pull out and pass. We didnt need to take a run at them either as the power comes on real strong in the 5000-7000 rpm range. BTW FYI my Burgman cruises at 130 @ 5000 rpms

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Allwalk, how can your burgman go that fast? From what I've read and heard, the best they do is about 118?
Have you done some kind of mod to yours to get that speed?

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
I belive allwalk is talking about Kilometers Per Hour. Me and my wife can comfortably run 80 MPH indicated (72) with no problem.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I rode two up wtih my wife for the first time last night (thanks to forum member joezeff for the helmut loan). No problems at all re power or comfort.

·
Registered
355 Posts
allwalk said:
when 3 Harleys passed us and when we waved they snubbed us. Well it was at that time I realized we were running a little late :wink: so I pulled out and gunned it. We passed the Harleys doing 155 and climbing and as typical we waved once again with no response :D from the Harleys.
Actually while riding yesterday the first other two wheeler I passed was on a Harley and he waved to me first. Every other rider I passed waved or returned wave no hesitation.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
wilder days said:
Allwalk, how can your burgman go that fast? From what I've read and heard, the best they do is about 118?
Sorry I should have specified that those figures are indeed kilometers.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know your faster in Canada. WE go there for camping.
we love your country. You're parks are awsome, much better then the camping here in NYS.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Went on our Scooter Club's monthly meet two-up with my wife yesterday. Easily hit 75mph with plenty of throttle leftover in I-77 here in Charlotte on my 400. I would imagine the 650 would have no problem keeping up with anything if we didn't have any........

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
allwalk said:
...We passed the Harleys doing 155 and climbing.
...FYI my Burgman cruises at 130 @ 5000 rpms
wilder days said:
For those of us stuck in the past by the USA's refusal to use a more rational measurement system:

155km/h = 96.875MPH

130km/h = 81.25MPH

Also, see my recently updated thread "How fast will it go?" in the General Discussion forum.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
minnmax said:
My wife and I ride two-up with our local chapter of the Gold Wing Road Riders Association (GWRRA) on our Burgman 650. We have no problem keeping up with the Wings.
I always thought the GWRRA was for Gold Wing owners only (or spouses of Gold Wing owners).

Can anyone join, with any type of bike?

·
Registered
550 Posts
re: power for 2 riders

I had my '03 650 up 110 mph with my wife on the back going to Branson MO, it had more to give but she started beating on my back to slow down, cause the wind was really blowing her around up on the pass. seat. only mods to my bike are throttle meister cruise control and givi 52 box with backrest and tail-lights, and installed a greenlight device to change the stoplights for me, since then I've added a radar detector. I'm getting new clearview windshield with the vent as soon as i can afford it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
My 650 cruises comfortably 2 up in fast Texas freeway traffic (indicated 80mph), with enough gusto to manuever and pass. It doesn't pass nearly as easy as my 126hp Bandit 1200 - but my wife refused to ride that with me. I think your best comparison is going to be a Honda Pacific Coast 800. It made 60hp at the crank, but outweighed it. They should keep up fine with the Gold Wing crowd.

You know what though - let's compare it to your 1400 Intruder:

1) The intruder 1400 and the Burgman 650 weigh roughly the same.
2) Since 1998 the Intruder 1400 has been claimed by Suzuki to make 60hp at the crank, and the 650 Burgman is claimed to make 50hp at the crank. This seems to be advantage Intruder - but because the Burgman's transmission keeps the engine in the sweet spot for you, you are going to be in it's powerband all the time. Granted - the Intruder had a point in it's powerband where you could hit it and get more power than what the Burgman has - but with the Intruder you have to eventually upshift - and the power drops.
3) The Burgman has superior wind protection.
4) The Burgman has much more storage.
5) The Burgman is water cooled - so it can be ridden harder and longer without damaging it.
6) Which one is more comfortable is a personal question, but for me I'd pick the Burgman.
7) Style is also a personal question - which one do you think looks better?
8) The Intruder's larger wheels will roll over potholes and speed bumps more smoothly (hey - I have to give credit where it's due).
9) The Intruder's engine is easier to service because it isn't under the plastic panels.

Anyone else have anything to add?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brian,
Just looking over this old post, and saw your question. yes, I've been riding with Chapter W of the GWRRA for a few years now. I've joined the GWRRA as an associate member. $50/year for single membership.
Its a great group of people I ride with. Most of them are retired folks.. We do dinner rides every tuesday night, Montly meetings and many other planned rides throughout the season. Also, during the off season, we still do tuesday night get togethers, we just all are in cars or trucks.

As for the difference between my old intruder 1400 and my new burgman 650:
I do miss the nice rumble of the intruder as I'd be cruising about 50mph.
I'm still having a hard time getting used to the burgmans engine braking and the "jump" power when I give it gas going around corners.
I've only put 200 miles on the burgman so far, so I can't really give a good report back as to the difference.
I have been getting alot of good comments on it. People love the blue color. Its very unique, so its an eye catcher. My wife likes riding now that I have a trunk on it with a backrest. Even my son enjoyed a ride on it.
I'm sure, with time I'll completely forget the intruder and be totally inlove with the burgman. Part of my problem is, the intruder was the nicest bike I've ever owned, and I've been through alot fo bikes over the years. It was like saying goodbye to a old friend. I will say one thing, if anybody was looking for a nice trustworthy cruiser, I'd very highly recommend the intruder.
Sorry for the ramblings, I do tend to be a bit long winded.

Marty

·
Registered
33 Posts
Two Up

Having owned many cruisers over many years, most recently an Intruder 1500 and VTX 1800, I can say that the Burgman 650 is better two up than any cruiser I ever owned. Handles better, feels lighter, easier to get off the side stand two up, outstanding low speed manuverability, all the power you will ever need and my wife likes it better than any of the cruisers we have had.
Chuck

·
Registered
300 Posts
Two up riding w/ Burgman 650

We ride 2 up all the time w/ no problem. If you are trying to pass, it is a bit slower than other bikes - ie. my old Triumph Sprint ST but then again it wasn't made to be a crotch rocket or sport tourer.

I have categorized it as a "sport cruiser". Of course I was leading the pack in the twisties w/ it this weekend (wink wink).

Seriously, 2 up is no problem and it will pass as fast as most cars will. I ride w/ our church group in the sportbike pack and as long as no one cranks it open on a straight away, I keep up or ride in the center of the pack all the time. They don't want me to lead for fear of sport bikes being embarassed by a sooter leading them around. HAHAHAHAHA

Try it, you'll like it!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I ride 2-up with my wife on our 400 and we zip in and out of groups of other bikes on the freeway with no problem, so I'm sure the 650 would pace them without breaking a sweat. No worries. The real question is will they still want to ride with you after you embarrass them by being faster off the line, smoother in corners, more comfortable while riding and getting better gas mileage?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts