Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the bike yesterday evening from the dealer and rode it home on a beautiful NYC spring day (60 degrees +). My wife drove behind me in our car in case the absolute worst happened (I'm a newbie). I have to admit, I was terrified at first. However, when I took off from the dealer's lot and started riding, I began to feel really comfortable. The ride home had a little bit of everything; twisting and bumpy roads (Arthur Kill Road), some wet spots from previous rain and finally a 6 mile stretch of highway that I had to take. After we got to our condo complex, I told the wife that I would be back in a while, then took off riding on my own. Here are my impressions:

The bike is extremely comfortable. I felt that I could go for a long time on the seat. The exhaust note is very "sweet" sounding, like a tenor voice as apposed to a barritone (wierd description, sorry). It did not sound like a scooter at all (that lawnmower sound that small displacement scoots are famous for). The sound it produced was reminiscent of a larger displacement motorcycle.

On the twisties, I took some wide turns, but it was definately my inexperienced riding that was to blame (forgot to look through the turn as my MSF instructors kept yelling at me to do). Won't happen again.

On the highway, I got her up to as high as 60 mph. The engine did not seem to be working very hard at that speed. I did forget to check the tack meter though. She felt very smooth. I didn't want to push it beyond that, since it is still in the break-in period. The highway experience was sensational. At 55 mph, I was passed by three cruiser riders, who must have been doing at least 75. I wonder if they passed me on purpose?! :wink:

On the busy streets in my neighborhood, I was a little more uncomfortable with all the stop and go vehicles around me, but the scoot is very forgiving and I was able to deal with my fear and focus on my riding.

The bike takes off very smoothly and gently and slows down guickly when rolling off the throttle (I flashed my brake lights, as many of you do on this forum :lol: ).

The underseat storage is amazing! It is very well thought out and functions nicely.

My only complaints:

1. Mirrors could be bigger and are tough to adjust. I will be looking to replace them eventually.

2. The bike takes the bumps kinda harshly. I've heard that time and again with these big scoots, so I was expecting it.

Biggest surprise:

I found the stock windshield to be adequate. I repeat. I found the stock windshield to be adequate. :shock:

All in all, I fell in love. Wits I could ride a Burger 400 and give you a comparison. Anyway, these scoots rule! They are certainly a terrefic way to enjoy 2 wheeled transport and above all, they are fun, fun, fun.

Talk to you soon.

-Willy

·
Registered
969 Posts
Congrats Willy!

See you on the road. 8)

Steve

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Congrats on your new scoot. Take it easy and enjoy your new ride.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Congrats Willy, you sound pretty happy.
Yamaha makes good stuff.

You'll be happy with your majestic Majesty. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Willy Mo,

If you get a chance, do a speedometer check. I'm courious if it's off by 5%-10% like Suzuki.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim said:
Willy Mo,

If you get a chance, do a speedometer check. I'm courious if it's off by 5%-10% like Suzuki.

thanks in advance
While my wife was behind me, she also noted my speed to be 55-60 mph. She was surprised that I would go "that fast". At the very least, it seems to match the speedo on our 90 Cutlass. However, I couldn't tell you that the Cutlass' speedo is not offset.

-Willy

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Congrats on the new scoot. Can't wait for more reports.

City streets made you nervous but IMHO the most dangerous place to ride bikes is in a parking lot. No one seems to look where they are going, they drive too fast and cut between parked cars to get to the next lane.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
There are two kinds of parking lots: Busy ones and empty ones. I have a park nearby with the highschool football stadium in it. Large parking lots are empty all the time except when there's an event in the stadium. I've taken all the scooters I've owned over there to ride them around and practice with them. Much safer than practicing in the streets.

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Dave

I was talking about ones like you find at a large mall, almost full, people rushing all around, talking on cell phones etc. For some reason I find people much more careless in those places than on city streets.

Again only my opinion but I find interstates to be the safest places to ride. Go with the flow of traffic and you are generally fine.

No question empty lots are great to practice in. I did that yesterday to practice turning around at slow speed. After 30+ years of riding I still try and make it a habit to practice slow speed turns and emergency braking at least every 2-3 weeks. You never know when you'll need these skills.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
JerseyBiker said:
I was talking about ones like you find at a large mall, almost full, people rushing all around, talking on cell phones etc. For some reason I find people much more careless in those places than on city streets.
I know, Jersey. We have mall lots too. My dad recently came out from the local mall to find the front bumper of his van ripped off (damaged, not stolen). And the only damage my old pickup has on it was from sitting in a parking lot next to the car of a student who didn't know how to back up straight.

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I think the Majesty is one slick looking scoot. Also my Yammy-Hammer friends have had nothing but good things to say about thier bikes. The Taurus SHO was no slouch either.

Congrats!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Willy Congratulations on the new ride.
Don't get carried away with riding to much before you double check your dealer--Check air pressure, oil , make sure all your stickers and paper work are ok.
Then take the long way anywhere your going :lol:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Willy, what is your height and inseam? Because you found the windshield to be ok I'm just curious."

Dave,

I'm 5 ft. 10.5 inches with a 30 inch inseam. I felt some wind on the very top of my HJC 3/4 helmet with face shield, but, you know what, I find that to be OK. I have read many posts where people seem to not want any wind at all. Isn't the whole idea behind riding a motorcycle/scooter is that you are open to the world. The wind, sunshine, moonshine, smells, etc.?

At 60 mph, the stock screen was fine. I have no intention of replacing it. Maybe if I do a lot of winter riding, I would go for a Givi (for the hand protection). Or, if not, I would just bundle up. A lot of the forum members live in what I would consider the country, with miles and miles of open road and scenic routes. I saw a member's Pics as he rode through Mt. Rushmore and was amazed at that. I take my concrete jungle and scycrapers for granted, I guess. But anyway, the stock windshield is fine. Getting another would be experimenting, which I don't need to do. However, I understand why taller riders (well over 6 ft. would want the higher windshield), because it would serve them better. These machines were obviously designed for averaged height people, like me.

Anyway, I hope this answers your question. God bless you and be safe.

Willy

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took another ride today:

This bike is really special. I don't mean to sound sappy, but I truly feel that it is perfect for me. While riding, a car tried to keep up with me on the left side lane. I notice they do that alot. :roll: Anyway, I had enough, opened the throttle and passed him. It was no sweat. 8) I don't like showing off, but in this case it was appropriate.

Anyway, I'm getting more comfortable, as I logged in another 14 miles and change. I put the bike up on the center stand for the first time. A little nerve-racking, but turned out OK. As I drove home, I stopped at my closest convenience deli and picked up a half-case of Miller Lite. I stuffed that puppy right in the bike's "trunk". COOL. This is great stuff.

Thank all of you. God bless and be safe.

-Willly

·
Registered
806 Posts
You would like to ride a Burgman 400. I, the owner of a Burgman 400, would like to give a Majesty a shot. Honestly, with both sitting still I prefer the Burgman 400 (sorry!) because of the larger amount of storage in the dashboard amd the whole seat tilting up for access to the trunk. Of course, someone told me that if you strap down gear on the passenger seat, the Yamaha makes sense since you can still get into the trunk.

I do think they ave both good machines and much better than the oversized lardies (not true, but I had to say it of only to get a rise out of the 650 contingent).

What I am interested in is the fuel mileage of the Yamaha compared to the Burgman 400. I get between 59 and 62, with a low of 57 and a high of 65MPG.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Jim said:
Willy Mo,

thanks in advance
I also have a Majesty and just two weeks ago I check the speedo against my step-daughter's minivan and it was off 8% - 10%.

·
Registered
10 Posts
lilleyen said:
Congrats Willy, you sound pretty happy.
Yamaha makes good stuff.

You'll be happy with your majestic Majesty. :)

I noticed that you have the Executive version. How long has it been available in Canada? I just wonder if they are going to sell them in the US. I want the ABS but I don't want a Honda.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts