Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally took the test at the local zoo of a DMV for my motorcycle permit on July 12th. Yesterday was my first time out riding with the public on main thoroughfares and wow was it fun! I was a little nervous, because I'd only been on the nearby residential streets twice on my own and riding two-up for eight years. When I got home from work yesterday, I told my husband okay, I'm ready to ride now! He suddenly got nervous and thought maybe I should stay off main streets. Only problem is then, how to graduate from residential to the main streets in the city. So our compromise for the first ride was for me to ride our old trusty scruffy Honda 250 while he followed me in the new Burgie 400, and we drove that way for the several miles to the local dealer for the 600-mile service. I was really surprised to find out that I was quite comfortable going the normal street speed. I guess riding two-up for all those years prepared me pretty well for the sensation of driving highway speeds with only air around me! What fun to pull my own throttle and balance the bike! I drove it to work this morning under the condition that I call my husband as soon as I got in. Well, I'm not complaining. It's nice that that ol' protective feeling is on strong for his wife, right?

I'm taking the MSF course in early September and looking forward to learning more about staying safe on the roads. My big challenge right now is that I can't get the bike up onto the center stand yet. Guess I got weak in my old age, or something. Maybe practice will help? Meanwhile, I LOVE riding and didn't imagine that it could be so much fun! Yippee on being solo!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Congrats Chris! Well done!

Don't be too cross w/hubby about his protective nature, my wife, God bless her soul, used to fuss at me when I was being protective, then fuss more when I wasn't. That woman used to drive me crazy trying to keep up w/her moods.

I wish she was still here driving me crazy.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Congrats! :eek:

Enjoy and Stay Safe!

By the way, you'll enjoy the MSF course and will learn a lot.

Bill

·
Registered
74 Posts
riding solo

Hi Chris. Glad to hear you are having a good time. I've been booting around on my Burgie too and I love it. I had a chance last weekend to take it out on some back highways - not really high speeds - 80 kpms here - which translates into about about 50 mph. My first experience doing a few curves and twisties - ah - its like ballet on wheels. I read the speed signs like they are religious edicts - lol - if it says slow to 30 in the curve - I'm slowed by the time I get there.

One thing I would suggest (call me a nervous nellie) but since you haven't taken the course yet, and if you haven't already, get out to a parking lot with hubbie and practice your quick stops and emergency swerves. Especially the "panic stop" - it is a whole different sensation bringing 400 lbs to a quick stop - the brakes will stop the Burgman as fast as you want - no problem - but there is a lot of momentum and gravity and stuff happening when that happens - stopping it is easy - keeping the bike and you upright at the end is - well challenging for a small, light woman and not fun and I hate practising them - but feel a lot better knowing I can if I have to, so I keep practising and increasing my speed gradually.

So now I will get off of my soap box and say good for you (us) for getting out there. And I can't get my Burgie on the centerstand either - sigh. I've read the techniques in here - but at 129 lbs I just don't seem to have the weight to get her over. But I keep trying.

Take care - have fun - stay safe.
Patti

1 - 4 of 4 Posts