Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the sake of science, I rode Burgie until she ran out of gas. (Carrying 1/2 gallon under the seat) :) .

Conditions:
Started with full tank- burped several times to fill to the brim.
The needle hit the bottom of the red zone about 200 miles.
Ran out of gas at 236.4 miles.
Filled at 236.8 miles with a total of 3.678 gallons.
Refilled and burped to refill to the brim.

Conclusions:
There is a lot of reserve left, once you hit "Empty". (The OM sez that the tank holds 3.7 gallons.)

Peace

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Someone on this forum said that doing what u just did isn't a good thing to do. I will pose the question now in the Tavern section.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wow, the reserve is much bigger than you would think. I usually 'bottle it' by 200 miles, I had no need to worry.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I am surprised it would draw down the tank that low, to within 0.01 gallons of dead empty.

It is never a good idea to run a liquid pump dry, however doing so once in a while in a monitored situation so that it can be shut down when it goes dry will not harm anything...

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Did the same with mine once, 243 Miles I think it was so about the same.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Interesting; it is nice to know the usable capacity is about what the spec says.

Now combine that with paying close attention to how much gas you (you in general) put in at different points on the fuel gauge. Also, how far off the MPG readout is from the real mpg. The mental calculation then tells us how far we can expect our range to be on that tank.

My range can be wildly different depending on road, traffic and weather.

Chris

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
On my 2010 400 when the gauge says half it is ie it's good for another 120 miles,
and there's a gallon left at 1/4 full I usually look for fuel once it touches the red.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Regarding running a tank dry, with possible damage to the fuel pump, when the thing started to die, I shut it off and coasted to the side of the road- a wide shoulder fortunately.
Yes gasoline keeps the pump cool. But it was a cool day here. :D
RIde on!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Last night - fill up cost $12.89 - fuel price - $3.85 per ye olde Imperiale Gallon (US Gallons!)

Context:

Fill up for this tank was around $14, when fuel was a bit more expensive. This was including a few of the infamous "burps" - which I dont get that many of...

I was going to fill up in downtown SF (yes, even at $4.15) as I was halfway into the Red E section of the fuel gauge.

For some reason, the machine did not take the other half's card. Rather than try some of my other cards in my wallet in the seat, I decided to chance it after reading this thread. I had 158 miles on the trip odometer. That, and the *OVERLY* frakking chatty guy harassing people to clean their windows and trying to make conversation, presumably before a shuck and jive segue into some begging - which convinced me I needed to take the risk.

So, back onto the white tub of lard.. and off across the bridge... slowly, and resisting the urge to press on like normal (I have now 12k miles on it, and it is only getting around 54-56 mpg average - including my weight, and a full height AN266 Givi screen). I only hit 60 mph on the down sections of hills and inclines. My revs do not go over 6k. My average mpg goes from in town 49mpg slowly creeping up to 53 by the time I hit my suburb town, 26 miles or so later. A lot of the ride is up hills, and for half the ride, the needle was at the bottom of the red Empty section.

Going up the hills towards the Oakland Hills tunnel was nervous, not as much as going through the tunnels with the bike showing fully empty - as there is no place to stop.

I covered 181 miles before the lovely Chevron hove into view. The fill up was 3.26 gallons or thereabouts, after burping the fill up a couple of times, and brimming up to the bottom of the fuel cap.

I would not like to push that again, so for where the bike is at in terms of fuel efficiency and use in this weather temperature, I think its refill time at 160 miles - its not sensible to push it much beyond this unless you know your fuel efficiency is well over the 59-60mpg range. You need to be prepared that that fuel station may be closed that you were banking on getting to - or some other situation arises.... you never know!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Was it Imperial or US gallons? Imperial gallons are 1.20095 US gallons.

Those of us that grew up with the 35¢ Black Label GIQ (Giant Imperial Quart, 40 oz US) will never forget that...

·
Registered
345 Posts
I accidently run out of gas at the 210 mark and since a buddy of mine was getting about 70 mpg on his Burgman I figured that was the range. Generally speaking I know I'm getting about 60 MPG on my bike so I start to look for a station about 180. I know I can get to 200 if needed but I don't like ot push it. Lucky for me I live in urban and suburban areas so gas stations are pretty plentiful.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How do people get 60-70mpg on theirs, do they weigh nothing at all? Is this on a hill going down? At a steady 45mph on the flat?

How do I increase mine (having done 12000 miles, mostly commuting on highway) to over 60 - does this come with wearing in the components better, and a fair wind behind?

:lol:

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Do we weigh nothing? I wish. :roll:

Two things seem to contribute the most to good mileage.
1. Steady speed.
2. # of miles per ride.

Every time you stop, idle and start again drops your mileage. From my house to the freeway is about two miles. There's several stop signs and traffic lights along the way. I will hit the freeway at about mid-50s. It'll stay there like that for about 10 miles then inch up. At 15 miles, it begins climbing much faster. At 30 miles, I'm up to mid-60s. It takes it that first 10-15 miles to make up for the wasted gas in that first few miles for all those stops and the acceleration from them.

There's actually another thing that has a big impact. Your throttle hand. Every time it moves, you waste gas.

I maintain about a 3-4 second spacing from the vehicle in front of me. It allows me to keep my speed more steady and not be twisting the throttle back and forth. I've watched zoom-splats ride less than a bike length away from the car in front of them. They are constantly hitting their brakes...and using their throttle...to maintain that spacing. They are wasting gas each time they do that. Even if you don't consider yourself a zoom-splat, if you're tail-gating, then how often are you hitting your brakes and a second later, using the throttle?

Chris

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
colder weather = less mpg.
more weight = less mpg.
with my 19g Dr Pulley sliders, riding at 60-70 mpg gets better mileage than 40-55 mph. Counterintuitive :)

Keep a steady throttle hand. Avoid stopping and restarting. Steady speeds :)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Mines better at around 55/70 mph about were it gets into it's highest gear ratio,
riding round at 30 ish will drop it by about 6 mpg.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Interesting that you managed to get 3.678 gallons from empty ( 13.922 Liters ). Are they a differant tank on the uk models? My UK spec book says the tank is 13 liters.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I ride with a mixed group on Sundays. We always try to start out with full tanks. Once a rider on a motorcycle with a side car ran out of gas. What a screw-up. One rider found a gas station about 10 miles back but they didn't have a gas can. Poor guy then had to find a store the sold containers. It totaly ruined the ride.

I have since purchased a legal portable metal fuel tank. It holds 1.5 liters. It's made by Primus for camp stove fuel. It looks like a portable fire extigwisher. I just store it in the back of the under seat stowage area. I do use it at least once a month or two to keep it fresh.

Never needed it again. But you never know.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
With the stock rollers I would only get high 50's to low 60's on the highway traveling at 70-72 mph indicated, after changing out the stock rollers to 19g DPS I would regularly get in the low 70's (twice 74mpg) on the highway in the summer. I don't even bother calculating MPG during the winter months because of the change in fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This morning I intentionally ran my '07 Burg400 out of gas to determine true tank capacity. The short answer is 3.55 gal (US) to first "shut off", that is up into the filler neck once, but I did not rock the bike or try to purge air to squeeze more fuel in (for anyone unfamiliar with this, see Mitch's youtube video "How to put more fuel in Burgman 400"). If I had, I'm guessing over 3.6 gal that my owners manual claims. The details: I ran out at 236.7 (almost identical to OP!), added 0.3 gal I was carrying, rode 4.3 miles to station, took 3.317 gal to fill with bike on centerstand, on level ground. There will always be some error, but I think I accounted for everything significant, particularly the est. 0.066 gal I burned getting to the station.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
This is good info. For years I thought my tank was 3.2 gallons, think I read it in the brochure. This definitely makes the 400 the long hauler range wise. 236 is amazing for most bikes. Not many can top it. Even the GW has like only 250 mi range.

I'm not sure if it is the range king, but my old ST1100 had a 7.5 gallon tank, something like 325 miles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts