Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a pair of riding pants for a long trip and having never owned a pair would like some advice for what to look out for. Obviously since it is in the summer I would like ventilation to keep cool and armor for protection but am also looking for comfort in long rides as well.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I have a pair of Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh pants
that I got to go along with my Joe Rocket mesh jacket,
that I bought to wear on my first trip to Minnesota,
back in July of '12....wore gym shorts underneath.
Been wearing them for 'road-trips' ever since.
(any trips out-of-town)
Nice long zippers..good pockets..great padding.
Not cheap...but medical bills are more expensive.
At 'retirement age', healing takes longer.
My money was well-spent.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Duster, I did look at that and considered it, but was unsure if it was a fit for me. Will go to a cycle store and try it on. Does color matter in hot weather? I have heard talk on the board that black helmets in the summer will absorb heat and make the helmet hot. Is it the same with pants? I have an Olympia Switchback jacket thats neon greenish-yellow and black but after losing 25lbs over the last two months, I wish I had gone for a smaller size so may get a new one with the pants.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Diamond Gussett makes a denim pant that is lined to help reduce friction... I wore a pair of them on my Saddle Sore a few years ago. They were quite comfortable!

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Thanks Duster, I did look at that and considered it, but was unsure if it was a fit for me. Will go to a cycle store and try it on. Does color matter in hot weather? I have heard talk on the board that black helmets in the summer will absorb heat and make the helmet hot. Is it the same with pants? I have an Olympia Switchback jacket thats neon greenish-yellow and black but after losing 25lbs over the last two months, I wish I had gone for a smaller size so may get a new one with the pants.
Yes...color DOES make a difference. My mesh jacket is silver,
& I was looking for matching mesh pants. Finding a 40% off sale,
I bit-the-bullet, & bought the only color available in my size...
black. I'm about 5'7"...220 lbs.....based on the sizing chart, I
bought a 3XL, to make sure that they were big enough for me
to wear over blue jeans or Dickies work pants. That size has
worked out perfect for me, so when wearing gym shorts, I get
a little extra room for cooling. Not disappointed in my purchase.
The present version of Joe Rocket Phoenix pants is a bit different
from mine....the leg zippers are on the inside of the leg...I'm not
too wild about that.
Check www.MotorcycleGear.com...they usually have several
brands of pants at reasonable prices...check for features that
appeal to you. That company has treated me 'right' previously.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Diamond Gussett makes a denim pant that is lined to help reduce friction... I wore a pair of them on my Saddle Sore a few years ago. They were quite comfortable!
+1 .. I have a pair of their Kevlar lined jeans and they are wonderful. The gusset really makes for a comfortable ride!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Icon mesh for me - cool and light - useless knee protection ( most are )

Just pull it and get proper knee protection to wear under them.

I use these,

Weigh nothing, stay in place protects your knee

How do I know???

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really like the Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 jacket and Icon pants. I went to Moto Liberty in Dallas and looked for a proper fit. They did not carry it, but I discovered another brand I had never heard of before: Taichi. The CrossOver 2XL was an awesome fit and only costs 179.95 while very few web deals can beat that. If I cannot find a store where I can try the Joe Rocket on, I will go ahead and get the Taichi CrossoOver. The sizing is based on Japanese build. Has anyone here used Taichi summer coats before?

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Come on over for a visit..www.MotorcycleGear.com
now has a showroom at their place in Shallowater,
about 5 miles NW of Lubbock on Hiway 84.
You can do some 'try-ons' there too.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Come on over for a visit..www.MotorcycleGear.com
now has a showroom at their place in Shallowater,
about 5 miles NW of Lubbock on Hiway 84.
You can do some 'try-ons' there too.
That would be nice, but a ten hour round trip would need a bit more purpose than a shopping trip :rolleyes: I am not sure there would be some place in the DFW area that carries them in their store. Have found a bunch listed on Joe Rocket and will check them out.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
That would be nice, but a ten hour round trip would need a bit more purpose than a shopping trip :rolleyes: I am not sure there would be some place in the DFW area that carries them in their store. Have found a bunch listed on Joe Rocket and will check them out.
Yeh, I knew that when I suggested it, but I figured that
the least I could do is be a gentleman & make the offer. :hello2:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just read of Cycle Gear having a shop in Plano. One guy said it was the WalMart of motorcycle stores. Will check it out when I get back from South Dakota (In a family car with kids but will stop by Sturgis :) ).

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I wear Duluth Firehose pants (http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-fire-hose-work-pants-92204.aspx?processor=content) for riding. Comfortable as my jeans. They are made of the material that is used on the outside of fire hoses and are super skid resistant. Cost about $65. I regret to say that I have even tested them. Got a little friction burn on one of my knees through the material. I keep thinking about adding some Bohn armor under my Firehose pants (http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/). This armor will stick with you and not displace if you go down. Besides, you can wear them with your Sliding Jeans too.

Doug

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
The Duluth Firehose pants & a pair of THOR
kneepads like MacDoc uses should work out
just fine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went to Cycle Gear and looked for a Joe Rocket mesh jacket to try on and they did not have any in stock, but a worker there told me Bilt had very similar jackets and was actually made in the same factory. I looked at the Bilt Techno mesh jacket and it fit great and was comfortable. Fortunately it was also on sale from $179.99 to $99.99 so I went ahead and got it.They did not have the AFX-FX55 and am still looking for a place that sells them so I can try on.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I went to Cycle Gear and looked for a Joe Rocket mesh jacket to try on and they did not have any in stock, but a worker there told me Bilt had very similar jackets and was actually made in the same factory. I looked at the Bilt Techno mesh jacket and it fit great and was comfortable. Fortunately it was also on sale from $179.99 to $99.99 so I went ahead and got it.They did not have the AFX-FX55 and am still looking for a place that sells them so I can try on.

I buy a ton of the Bilt products. Being I live in San Diego I need something that takes the slight cold out, nothing extreme. I have been impressed with their products.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yep, same factories and a better price at Cycle Gear usually. I believe in supporting them when possible because they have good customer service and are open 7 days a week. Good guarantees and the best place to try on and buy a new helmet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts