Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...left for work early this morning in winds 25-35 mph with gusts to 45 mph. Got pushed around a bit in the crosswinds but the 650 seemed to respond reasonably well. Tried to remain relaxed but ****, was my jaw clenched pretty tight when I got to work. Hopefully things will be less blustery on the ride home.

late,
Coz

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yeah = the Burgman is pretty stable in the wind but any bike can get pushed around. Using a truck as a wind shadow works but be careful of the vortex as that can really hit hard.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yes yesterday I used mine to commute & it was very windy.. Rush hour in Boston from the South Shore is a real trip as the breakdown lane is legal.. Using trucks is hazardous because all of the vehicles tend to flow to empty spots and my biggest concern is to not be in any one's blind spot.. so I tend to be pretty aggressive. I did notice yesterday at one point.. my speedo indicated speed was 93 MPH.. so that was about 84 MPH for real.. after all it is rush hour.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I learned a little trick years ago riding my GS from MA to VA on a windy day. If you poke your knee out on the side that the wind is coming from, assuming it's not head on or from the rear, you'd be surprised at how "catching the wind" can help to make things more stable.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just got back in from a ride up here in Maine. I think between the wind and the cold were pretty dumb to all of it. When is it going to be summer again ???

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
The wind just rips in the Tri-Citys. I have seen many Semi trucks blown over in Kennewick WA.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
paulcbrowne said:
I learned a little trick years ago riding my GS from MA to VA on a windy day. If you poke your knee out on the side that the wind is coming from, assuming it's not head on or from the rear, you'd be surprised at how "catching the wind" can help to make things more stable.
I use that trick myself. +1 :thumbup:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ernie M said:
I just got back in from a ride up here in Maine. I think between the wind and the cold were pretty dumb to all of it. When is it going to be summer again ???
Funny you should mention it. I was thinking just the opposite. When is Summer going to be over. In South Florida it was 91 degrees today.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Ernie M said:
When is it going to be summer again ???
Not sure but I think you have to finish Fall and then go through Winter and Spring.

65 this morning. Going to have to check out my cold duds soon. Getting chilly. :roll:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dave_J said:
The wind just rips in the Tri-Citys. I have seen many Semi trucks blown over in Kennewick WA.
Yeah, the wind farm turbines were pretty happy yesterday. I can't imagine what the gorge was like yesterday as I'm sure it was just ripping up the river.

late,
Coz

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Why do people expect not to be blown around when cars get blown around during windy weather?

·
Registered
806 Posts
paulcbrowne said:
You're right. It worked! I tried it today in strong cross winds and it seemed to steady the bike.
Amazing what you can pick up on this forum.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Wait til these two cross

The cold storm front is just moving through here now in Toronto- very well defined. Heading South East where it will dance with Sandy

latest from NOAA

Gonna be fun in the North East this coming week. Practice your wind, rain, snow techniques :D

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I find sticking to the speed limit seems to work well.

For example, think of what happens while you're waiting for a traffic light to change. You have no forward movement and the crosswind can move the bike back and forth a lot.

Add some forward movement and now you have the crosswind affected by the forward movement. A physics person can quantify it better, but for instance if you have 30 mph gusts and 60 mph forward movement, the crosswind won't have nearly the effect it would have on you if you were only doing 30.

But you need to ride at whatever speed you feel comfortable with.

Chris

·
Premium Member
8,122 Posts
Marv said:
paulcbrowne said:
You're right. It worked! I tried it today in strong cross winds and it seemed to steady the bike.
Amazing what you can pick up on this forum.
don't try it going commando in a pair of loose shorts :shock:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts