Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I purchased my '03 Silver 650 Burgman at the end of January 2004. I use it for commuting to work in Boston. I have ridden it almost every day to and from work (except for snow days).

The bike is impressive in its performance on drive conditions. The area that suprised me is its wet weather capabilities. I have ridden now in ligt and heavy rain showers (even wet snow that was melting on contact with the ground) and the machine stayed glued to the road, whether in a straight line or on curves.

Has anyone else ridden in the rain? Are scooters in general better able to handle wet conditions than regular bikes? My recollection of wet ridding (some 15 years ago) was that you parked your bike at the hint of rain.
Have the tires improved that much? :shock:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Riding rain

The book, "The compete Motorcycle Nomad", by Roger Lovins, says that riding in the rain is the same as dry weather unitl something bad happens.

But really folks....

Yeah, tires are way better, anti-lock is good in rain, but for us 650 riders being careful and watching your braking, being visible to the cage drivers is the most importnat thing.

You sir have joined the die hard ride hard club. I used to ride all weather, although I havent ridden in the latest bit of NE nastiness. Just getting to lazy. But I do specialize in cold weather riding, I have really worked on and tailored my grear for sub freezing weather.

Rain:

The first few min minutes are the msot dangerous due to raod grime and oil float....

Watch toll booth stops...for you and the car behind.

Highway exit ramps - dont roll off or brake too abrubptly, braking uses traction, keep it steady, use the superb engine braking.

Allow 4x following distance on the highway - ride highbeam on.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I ride in all weather as well. I'm heading out for a ride in about an hour, current temp is 0* with a wind chill of -2*.
I made a deflector out of .010 thick mylar doubled up and placed it in front of the left side cutout near the kickstand. I have no problem with spray up that side of the machine now and being a clear mylar it doesn't really stand out. You can't even notice it when it's on it's sidestand.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wet Riding

Thanks for the wet weather tips. I been avoiding riding in the wet-my old Yamaha V-Star with tube tires wasn't exactly a good handler, at least not compared to the Burgy. Y'know the burgy comes with Bridgestone Batlax tires? Hey allwalk-I assume it's 0 degrees centigrade, right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
abm,

Great tips! I do slow down and leave extra distance between me and the other vehicles. I also allow the machine to use engine braking whereever I can. I also thrown on my hazard lights (both blinkers) when using engine braking on the highway in the wet.

allwalk,

Do you use heated grips? If so where did you get them. Despite using snowmobile gloves, my fingers usually start freezing after about a half hour of riding at highway speeds.

·
Registered
308 Posts
propnut said:
abm,

Despite using snowmobile gloves, my fingers usually start freezing after about a half hour of riding at highway speeds.
Yo':

Aerostitch Electric vest keeps hands and feet warmer than heated grips.

·
Registered
308 Posts
propnut said:
Thanks abm, looking up info on Aerostitch now.
What's great about the vest is that you can carry it as your only inner cold weather layer. That and a sweater and a good all purpose riding jacket are all you need. Then light weight leather riding gloves, and set of better winter gloves, like the Alpinestars, pretty much covers it exceppt for boots.

But I have been carry an aerostitch all weather duffle with my Fist Gear mega suit , and I waer my Belstaff jacket for most; but its been cold lately. Probably when it gets warmer I'll put the 1st gear away.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If I still lived in Boston, I'd be looking at a Silverwing with ABS. However, since I've been living in Vegas for 13 years, I'll be getting a Burgman 650 soon.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Out here since rain is not all that frequent, I try to avoid it as much as possible and just enjoy the rides in good weather. Not only I do not like getting wet, but the reduced visibility is something I don't like to deal with unless I have to. Another factor that keeps me away from the rain is because Californian drivers that are so used to driving at higher speeds because of the open roads have a difficult time slowing down in the rain. They will just drive as if there was no rain at all, assuming the traction and visibility is the same - that makes a huge difference at higher speeds and just poses a greater danger to bike riders...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
propnut said:
allwalk,

Do you use heated grips? If so where did you get them. Despite using snowmobile gloves, my fingers usually start freezing after about a half hour of riding at highway speeds.
No I don't have heated grips. I have decent thermal golves but my fingers do start to feel it after awhile. I'm usually good for an hour then I stop to go to the bathroom and wash my hands really good with hot water :lol:
Hey allwalk-I assume it's 0 degrees centigrade, right?
You assume right Franklin :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I bought the Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves this year. They work great. Upper body, arms, neck, and hands - all heated. I rode 260 miles today wearing them. I also bought the thermostat switch and belt clip. Todays ride started out in the high 30's and ended up in the high 50's. Just a twist of the thermostat knob from time to time kept me comfortable for the whole ride. The thermostat control clips to the belt on my jacket, so I can easily adjust it while riding.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Allwalk...if it's not too much trouble, can we have a photo of your kickstand cutout wind deflector? The last muddy wet spot I rode through tossed a line of muck right up the passengers side of the scooter. I'd like to remedy this. Oh yeah, what are the dimensions of your deflector?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Maybe we have a different body shell in England as we don't seem to get a problem with road mess through the side stand gap. We have done 280 miles this last weekend, quite a bit in the rain, on country roads with warnings about mud, as the farmers are busy muck spreading on their fields and the drop the sludge from the trailers as they move from field to field. Back bodywork of the bike and inside of the silencer collected a lot of this, but nothing through onto the sides, or more importantly, Gail's left foot and leg.
Handling in these conditions was superb, only the smooth metal drain covers our country seems to like plonking in the middle of country roads have to be avoided, as there is no traction over them in any type of wet weather. I avoid them in the dry as well, but sometimes, road conditions force you over them - always with care.
Regards

·
Registered
308 Posts
ladnar said:
Handling in these conditions was superb, only the smooth metal drain covers our country seems to like plonking in the middle of country roads have to be avoided, as there is no traction over them in any type of wet weather. I avoid them in the dry as well, but sometimes, road conditions force you over them - always with care.
Regards
Such a British phoneme....

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
riderrich said:
Allwalk...if it's not too much trouble, can we have a photo of your kickstand cutout wind deflector? The last muddy wet spot I rode through tossed a line of muck right up the passengers side of the scooter. I'd like to remedy this. Oh yeah, what are the dimensions of your deflector?
Not a problem.....sun is shinning right now so I will run out and take a couple of picks for you all. Ok I ran out and took some pics and posted 3 in the Burgman Photo Gallery under allwalk. Quick connect link
http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/allwalk

I didnt have a ruler but it is about 4" wide . Basically it's a mini spoiler and it kicks up about 5/8" - 3/4" It seems to do the job. I noticed now its starting to get discoloured due to the weather. Maybe I will make up another one and Paint it metallic silver . Ya thats it.........fabrication time

·
Registered
85 Posts
Deflector

Hi Allan:
Does that really work? I mean have you tried it in a good rain yet.... and at Hwy speed. Cause we all need a simple solution to that problem... and yours looks like just the thing!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Allan,
thanks. Great photos! Is this a self-stick deal?...I didn't see any fasteners. I'll give it a try with some acrylic sheet (1/8th inch thick) and double sided automotive tape.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
riderrich said:
Allan,
thanks. Great photos! Is this a self-stick deal?...I didn't see any fasteners. I'll give it a try with some acrylic sheet (1/8th inch thick) and double sided automotive tape.
Yes I used an industrial double sided tape, as well as book tape.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts