Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,
Wondering if anyone knows of a Burgman riders group in the northeast Wisconsin area?
Probably in the Oshkosh to GreenBay area.
If not, is anyone interested in starting one?
Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Meetup is a good tool... And if you can't find a local group, just create one... Meetup will announce your new group to everyone who is in your area who has expressed an interest in motorcycles.
You might consider not "limiting" your group to just Burgmans or scooters. Our riding club we started via meetup has everything from Burgman to Harley to adventure/touring to super sport riders to my wife's Burgman with a trike conversion...
There is no animosity between any type of bike, but there is sometimes some good hearted ribbing, especially of my wife's Burgman trike. :)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Meetup is a good tool... And if you can't find a local group, just create one... Meetup will announce your new group to everyone who is in your area who has expressed an interest in motorcycles.
You might consider not "limiting" your group to just Burgmans or scooters. Our riding club we started via meetup has everything from Burgman to Harley to adventure/touring to super sport riders to my wife's Burgman with a trike conversion...
There is no animosity between any type of bike, but there is sometimes some good hearted ribbing, especially of my wife's Burgman trike. :)
Yes meetup is a great tool to find other riders. However, read the group intro before you sign up. Some groups are very particular about members and what they ride. If "club" or "dues" or "patch" are mentioned, they are more likely very restrictive. Some won't allow members to join other clubs; you must ride with them exclusively.

I once joined a group that advertised "all bikes welcomed". When I showed up, it was more like "all Harley bikes welcomed" and they looked at my bike like it smelled like bad cheese. No one would go near it either for fear someone would take a picture of them beside this interloper. Not one person asked me about my ride. They stuck me in the back of the pack, criticized my riding and didn't make me feel very welcomed.

No big loss, I've lots of riding opportunities here in Los Angeles. Just be wary.

·
Registered
68 Posts
@Liamjs
I was thinking more if the OP started a meetup group... He would get more riders if he didn't limit it just to Burgman riders.

He could emphasize what kind of trips (certain number of hours for typical ride, leisurely or spirited riding etc... We've found that for about every 4 who actually join, you'll get 1 person who becomes a "regular" that goes on most of the rides.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
@Liamjs
I was thinking more if the OP started a meetup group... He would get more riders if he didn't limit it just to Burgman riders.

He could emphasize what kind of trips (certain number of hours for typical ride, leisurely or spirited riding etc... We've found that for about every 4 who actually join, you'll get 1 person who becomes a "regular" that goes on most of the rides.
You're absolutely correct. If they start their own group, I highly suggest opening it up to all types of bikes and rides. I was referring to already established groups.

I find the group will generally take on the dictates of its leader or organizer. An open-minded, fun-loving, inclusive leader will lead to the same type of group. And the opposite is true as well.

Some leaders want absolute control of the membership, types of bikes admitted, rides that are done, activities attended, etc. That's not my preference, some like the it, but its good to know that its out there.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in starting a meetup group, let me know. I help run one of the largest scooter groups. I've seen many groups fail because of some pretty basic pitfalls. I can give you some pointers before you start.

And you're right again, its about one committed rider to every four that sign up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bill

I come up to Oshkosh June 1st and volunteer for EAA and usually stay thru Aug.if you like we can get together and ride. I have 08 400

Dennis Mangan
916 802 8409

1 - 8 of 8 Posts