Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I bought my Burgman, 2012 Executive, not quite aware of Californias crazy laws about titling a “new” bike, less than 7500 miles,no matter the age. I took possession in Denver on Sept 8.

Since then I have been riding with nothing more than the Colorado title signed over to me, the Bill of Sale, my proof of insurance card, and a prayer. I rode back to Cali over four days. I took a few days off then, as mentioned previously, did a one day “round the block” trip, of about 375 miles taking in the Big Sur Coast.

I just completed a four day exhausting ride. I apologize in advance for no photos. Also, I am violating my new rule of three hundred miles per day to get the needed miles on and bike titled within 30 days, as required by the state of California.

Day one: Boulder Creek to Crescent City, Ca via US101, aprox 455 miles. The worst part in the Bay Area through crappy Friday commute traffic, splitting lanes through Oakland. Skirted San Francisco by going over the Richmond Bridge, and once north of Healdsburg, could finally relax. I hate big cities. Very windy on that north coast.

Day two: US Hwy 199 from Crescent City to Grants Pass Oregon, south on I-5 to Red Bluff, west over CA 36, then south to Phillipsville Ca.on The Avenue of the Giants. Aprox 480 miles. 199 was beautiful and easy. CA 36 while great, and all it is cracked up to be, was difficult for me, in that it came at the end of my day after already having rode for over 5 hours. Best to do this in the a.m. right after a good breakfast and mass quantities of caffeine. Also, I am essentially a new rider after a break of 15 years, I ride slow and safe, pulling over for the much faster local drivers that know that road. There are sections near the summit of extensive road/mountainside repair where asphalt is totally missing.

Day three. Back onto US 101 south till Calpella, then across the state on CA 20 going around Clear Lake, a place I’d not been to, but want to visit again. Boring through the Central Valley portion of the state, more interesting from about Grass Valley onto its terminus at I-80, which I unfortunately had to use till getting off to go to Lake Tahoe, taking CA 89 over Monitor Pass to drop down to U S 395, spent the night in Bridgeport. Aprox 445 miles. ClearLake, Lake Tahoe were great, but Monitor Pass was unbelievable, coming as it did late in the day with beautiful shadowing due to waning sunlight. Aprox. 445 miles.

Day four: After a 35 mile jaunt down US 395 to Lee Vining, it was onto CA 120 and over Tioga Pass. This takes you straight through Yosemite National Park, but I did not take the time to ride the Valley floor. As I got high up the pass, a funny Snow-Flake looking light came on my dash. Alarmed, I pulled over, but the bike was running flawlessly, and after consulting my owners manual, found it indicates when the ambient temp falls below 38F, goes off when the temp rise above that. It was on for over an hour. I was dressed for the weather for the most part, my summer riding gloves being the exception. That Yosemite Valley, what can anyone say about that’s not been said? I hate the overused word “epic”, but it certainly is. A hair-raising ride on a portion of CA 49 to Mariposa, then the mostly-horrible remainder of the ride from Merced, Los Banos, Gilroy, Watsonville, up Hwy 1 to home.

I am now just less than 1000 miles short of the 7500 miles needed to get my bike titled in California. Riding dirty is my only only solution to replacing the speedo with a higher mileage unit from the same year. While I don’t like doing it, I see it as my only alternative, just need to not get caught now.

·
Super Moderator
801 Posts
I bought my Burgman, 2012 Executive, not quite aware of Californias crazy laws about titling a “new” bike, less than 7500 miles,no matter the age. I took posessin in Denver on Sept 8.

I am now just less than 1000 miles short of the 7500 miles needed to get my bike titled in California. Riding dirty is my only only solution to replacing the speedo with a higher mileage unit from the same year. While I don’t like doing it, I see it as my only alternative, just need to not get caught now.
It looks like a good ride you had and perfect for the Burgman. I hope you got some good pictures. I haven't been out there in years but as I recall, epic would be a pretty good assessment of some of those places.
Not being from the left coast (mercifully), what does the mileage hurdle have to do with titling a bike in sunny California? I am pretty sure the likelihood of me ever needing to get a bike or anything titled there is pretty remote but just curious now. No idea of the penalty for riding "dirty" as you call it but if I were within a thousand miles of the target number, I would gas up and keep riding. Probably like many others here, over the years I have went much further with far less correct documentation than that. One good weekend and you will be over the hump. Keep riding but that is from a guy in Texas so what do I really know about things there?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Well, you've done in 4 days what has taken me years to cover - although I take a more relaxed 250 miles/day. Have to agree with all your assessments: Monitor Pass is stunning (especially in late-Summer light), and always practically deserted; a couple of years ago, from Lee Vining I rode through light snow flurries on Tioga Pass in late June; the awesomeness of the Yosemite Valley floor is offset by the amount of vehicular traffic - the real thrill is Glacier Point; this summer I had a leg from Ashland, OR to Ferndale, CA that included 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City - what a nice road!; and I-5 in No.Cal / So. Oregon, all Interstates should be so nice; I hear you about Hwy 36 - it's a start-of-the-day ride. I did it once starting from chilly Mendocino and ended up in Chico in late afternoon 105 degree temps; that stretch Hwy 49 you refer to is called the Little Dragon - a renowned moto road.

Great ride, great report! Thanks for sharing.

For some awesome pictures, take a look at https://www.pashnit.com/ca-roads . You'll find 120/Tioga Pass, Hwy 36 and Little Dragon under the 'Roads List' button.

·
Registered
70 Posts
California

Only in California.........:serious
Enjoy your bike.

·
Administrator
17,656 Posts
This is one stupid law in California.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Strange that a 2012 Burgman wouldn't be imported as 50 state certified.
Well, what I found out is that they all ARE 50-state emissions compliant, since the manufacturers only make 50 state compliant bikes. It is simply that they don’t have the “California Emmisions Approved” decal, to have that adds some amount paid to the state of California. That is simply passed on to the customer by the dealer, so it isn’t any skin off the dealers backs. In fact, the dealerships like it, since it prevents people from buying less expensive out-of-state motorcycles, giving them a form of protection. Can you say “scam”?

This is how it was explained to me, correct me if I have been fed wrong info. Whatever, I will be chancing it for about another 900 + miles over the next two weeks. I have had behind me, since I took possession , highway patrolmen from a couple different states, Sheriffs Department vehicles, and a City of Merced police vehicle, plus about a half dozen LEO’s on the sides of roads stealthily trying to catch me speeding.

P.S. Dave, not sure why my use of the word for a frozen crystallized water-droplet caused my initial post to be censored?

BlackTruck, over 75 k miles, considered used, less than 75 k, considered new regardless of age. Thus, my seven-year-old “new” motorcycle.
I think since most used bikes are likely sold by individuals, the dealerships do not care much, and people would really howl if the State tried that.

·
Administrator
17,656 Posts
Snow and flake when all together is used as a rude political slur.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, not your fault, but their holding us innocent users of the English language hostage, I guess. Sorry , I know what the bad connotation is, but their oughta be a “context filter”, no?:smile It was simply my take on the shape of the warning light I saw.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I have had behind me, since I took possession , highway patrolmen from a couple different states, Sheriffs Department vehicles, and a City of Merced police vehicle, plus about a half dozen LEO’s on the sides of roads stealthily trying to catch me speeding.

That last 1000 miles might go quicker with a pillion - perhaps a Bonny to your Clyde.

·
Administrator
17,656 Posts
Well, not your fault, but their holding us innocent users of the English language hostage, I guess. Sorry , I know what the bad connotation is, but their oughta be a “context filter”, no?:smile It was simply my take on the shape of the warning light I saw.
I edited it above. Sorry, can not adjust the poo filters too much. There is no way to set a "Context filter" that I know of. It's like on some forums if you are talking about the cabin that you sit in it is Cockpit but it self corrects to "Thingy Pit".

"I am sitting in the Thingy Pit working on the controls" does not quite have the same meaning.

:frown

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree Glacier Point was a beautiful ride this past June especially with a little snow that hadn't melted yet in the 80+degree weather.
20190611_163051_1569387236868.jpg
Got to make time in the next month to ride through the Sierras to see the fall collage.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Jeff, I always ride solo. I am going to finish this by riding 100+ miles each of the next four days, and finally a 500 mile overnight run Sun/Mon, camping Sunday night in Pismo Beach.

Let us know where you were when the odo clicked over to 7.5k

1 - 15 of 15 Posts