Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here struggle like I do at night with the oncoming headlights?
I'm considering buying full coverage safety glasses with an anti-reflective coating.

I wear prescription glasses. When I ride I keep the shield/visor open a crack. Air still gets behind my glasses and it tends to be a little distraction...not really a big deal.

What's more of a distraction is the oncoming headlights.
Has anyone tried to over come this issue with an anti-reflective coating on their lens?

Just trying to get some feedback from those who struggle with night time driving like I do.

How about those yellow ones you see advertised on TV that claim they reduce glare?...My thinking is they're probably junk...but, what do you all think?

Thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
What kind of problem are you having with the lights? Glare, "star" patterns, discomfort from them seeming just too bright?

I wear glasses too, and have the anti-reflective coating on them because I work in front of a computer all day. It really does help! Another thing I learned with oncoming headlights, is don't look directly forward, but look to the right at the white line along the side of the road. You still see the oncoming car with your peripheral vision, you can watch your position on the road by the line, and you're not blinded so much by having the lights hit the center of your eyes.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Ron,

I would describe it as an annoyance. Its more of a discomfort as the lights seem to be just too bright. I do just like you, I look at the white line on the side of the road. I was just wondering if an anti-reflective coating on my glasses might improve things.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I've used yellow lenses in my goggles at night snowmobiling and on my atv, number one, they are darker, NOT brighter, and number two, they have a horrible glare from oncoming traffic! Just terrible! Stay away from yellow.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I am very far-sighted, & have struggled with this problem
ever since my school days. My family can remember,
that even back then, I would wear a baseball cap
pulled down low on my forehead, & using the bill of the cap
to block the lights at night. All those years, I would wear
a cap at night, so I could tip it down to block oncoming
lights, & watch the white line along the edge of the road.
It got so bad, that I was disqualified for driving a commercial
vehicle at night. Driving my personal vehicle was left up
to my judgement....so now I try to keep it to a minimum.
Driving on a rainy night....miserable...I try to NOT let that
happen. For anyone else that has night driving problems...
I can sure understand.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Duster, have you tried getting a pair of glasses made for night driving lately? There are new features for lenses coming out all the time, so it might be worth asking about. Maybe a blue-blocker filter with some darker tint along the top?

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
At different times, I have tried different glasses,
with various tints. I have not found any glasses
that have helped with the problem. The bright-star
sparkly effect of the lights at night, are intensified
in the rain. It can be bad enough, to make me
nauseous.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've used yellow lenses in my goggles at night snowmobiling and on my atv, number one, they are darker, NOT brighter, and number two, they have a horrible glare from oncoming traffic! Just terrible! Stay away from yellow.

I have not had the same issues as you. Once it gets dusk or later I much prefer a yellow tinted face shield or glasses. Starting using them way back in the late 60's and have always found them a help to me. Everything seems brighter when I wear them and when driving at night that is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hi Dan. Here's a tip that won't cost you anything at all. Here in the States there's a white line painted on the far right-hand side of your lane. Technically it's called the "fog line" and it's there so you can look at it and keep your vehicle from falling off the road in poor visibility conditions.

When someone's coming at you with their lights too bright, just look over at that fog line and keep looking at it until the bright lights aren't in your face anymore. I work nights and I've been doing this for years; it works great.

·
Registered
197 Posts
1.Get checked out for astigmatism and get the best AR Coated lenses. Do not skimp if you plan to continue riding/driving at night.
2. Reduce or avoid riding at night. Looking away from the glare of oncoming lights may be okay for short periods while driving, but I would not do that while riding. There are way too many road hazards like dead animals and trash to solely rely on peripheral vision.
Simba

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Dan this may be a dumb question but have you discussed your problem with an Optometrist or Ophthalmologist? I was having problems with my night vision and all it was is I needed new glasses.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
1.Get checked out for astigmatism and get the best AR Coated lenses. Do not skimp if you plan to continue riding/driving at night.
2. Reduce or avoid riding at night. Looking away from the glare of oncoming lights may be okay for short periods while driving, but I would not do that while riding. There are way too many road hazards like dead animals and trash to solely rely on peripheral vision.
Simba
That's exactly the point. When I am forced to look at the white line on the side of the road, I feel like the odds go way up of not being able to stop soon enough if something unexpected occurs in front of me.
Normally when driving in the daytime, I can see a long way down the road an anticipate the unexpected. At night however, the distance that I can see down the road when lights are shining in my face is reduced dramatically.
If there were road debris, like trash or an animal, I'm concerned that I'd be almost on top of it before I can even react to it.

Btw, this problem is only an issue when I ride on a two lane road...one way traffic going in the opposite directions.
Four lanes...not a problem...if there's a divider not a problem...it's only when cars are coming at me, in the lane right next to me and especially when there's multiple cars coming at me.

The reason I started the thread was to see if anyone has used AR coated lenses and can recommend that they work in reducing glare.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dan this may be a dumb question but have you discussed your problem with an Optometrist or Ophthalmologist? I was having problems with my night vision and all it was is I needed new glasses.
Was it an updated prescription that improved your night vision or did you add
the AR coated lenses that help reduce the glare?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Yes it was an updated prescription that improved my night vision. They are bifocals and the lower part for reading was also changed improving my close up vision too. They did have a coating I thought to reduce scratching but I could be wrong and perhaps it was an AR coating. All I know for sure is it was definitely time for new glasses. I knew I was having a hard time seeing at night but I didn't realize that anything was wrong with my daytime vision until after I got the new glasses.
I was seeing the "star" patterns Ron mentioned and oncoming lights seemed bright the dash lights seemed dim to me also. After the new glasses the dash lights were bright again and I didn't see the "star" patterns and oncoming lights weren't as bright any longer.
If you haven't had an eye checkup lately you have nothing to lose by getting one. Well nothing but the cost of the checkup.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I work in an optometrist's office and the doc suggests yellow tinted sunglasses/ over shades for night time glare. But you may want to get checked out for cataracts. Glare and sun burst patterns from on coming headlights are two of the deciding factors. Anti reflective coatings can be a help as well. Hope this helps. Sally

·
Registered
857 Posts
I get the star pattern if it rains which is an inconvenience. My solution to oncoming car lights is a strip of dark green plastic film that I bought from Aerostitch that fits along the upper edge of your face plate. Just a simple tilt of the head puts the lights in the strip and the glare is no problem at all.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Kw...I went ahead and ordered Ar coated 50% TINT in yellow lenses from Zenni optical. When I get them I'll let you know how it works....if it doesn't I will probably try your idea. ;-)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have not had the same issues as you. Once it gets dusk or later I much prefer a yellow tinted face shield or glasses. Starting using them way back in the late 60's and have always found them a help to me. Everything seems brighter when I wear them and when driving at night that is much appreciated.
Maybe it has something to do with my glasses underneath?

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I get the star pattern if it rains which is an inconvenience. My solution to oncoming car lights is a strip of dark green plastic film that I bought from Aerostitch that fits along the upper edge of your face plate. Just a simple tilt of the head puts the lights in the strip and the glare is no problem at all.
That was the idea I've kicking around for a year. Just couldn't get my hands on the right film. If you had it to do over again would you still choose Dk Green?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I decided to order yet another pair of prescription glasses from Zenni optical.
This time I added an AR anti-reflective coating and a 50% yellow tint.
I was hoping this would help with my night time riding with glare of head lights that are driving towards me.
I received them yesterday...and used them early this morning. I have to say I am very impressed at the results. I no longer have to look at the white line on the side of the road. I can actually look straight ahead...I can even look right at the oncoming lights and there is no strain at all on my eyes like there used to be.

Btw...if you've never checked out zenni optical on the web..it's something you probably should. These glasses only cost me $53 and they also came with clip on shades.
I am very pleased with the results.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts