Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
As long you vary your speed/rpm you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Keith,

FWIW, when I took delivery on my new 650 I had to ride it 25 miles home on a freeway. I had a very "interesting" time trying to follow the "official" break in parameters. ( 4K rpm max and vary the speed for first 500 miles ) I understand some folks don't follow this and ride it hard but I went by the book. :-|

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ask because there is a 2012 Exec in my color located in West Virginia which I would have to get back to Brooklyn NY. How fast is the bike going at 4K rpm?

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
If I remember correctly it is 50-55 or so, depending on the terrain obviously. Folks here in Portland seem to usually run 60-70 in a 55 posted limit on the freeways and 70+ in a 65. The ride the day I was referring to had traffic at a good 70 mph most of way. For sure I was forced over the 4K rpm several times on that trip. I did manage to vary speed... that was annoying but doable.

sc

·
Premium Member
8,136 Posts
beats heck out of pushing it 350 miles

·
Premium Member
14,229 Posts
InfernoST said:
What are your thoughts on riding a Brand new 650 350 miles on the highway? Thanks
When Robin bought her 07 650 she did exactly that. She took a flight to the town where she bought it then rode it 340+ miles back home. She put 93,000+ miles on that bike before she purchased her current Exec. She still owns it and still rides it occasionally.

As others have said, don't spend long periods of time at a constant rpm and don't do a lot of hard acceleration that will strain the CVT belt before it seats in. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about the 4,000 rpm max. It won't hurt to go over that some. You can keep it between 4,000 and 5,000 and keep up with all but the fastest traffic.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Well 4K ain't fast enough for the whole trip.
Maybe plot your route off freeway for the first 100 and baby it a bit.
Then goose it for the next 100 and then get on the freeway for the last stretch and wring its neck. :wink:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the input and advice everyone.

I took the out of State dealer price and brought it to a dealer in my area and did some negotiating (which I stink at) and got my local dealer to come within $200 of the other price. Spoke it over with the boss and got the green light to get it here so I will be heading to the dealer to get everything rolling either tomorrow after work or Saturday. :cheers:

Wow, I thought this day would never come, I can't wait to pick her up.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
That's great Keith! Have many miles of smiles with the new Burgman 650. I really enjoy mine ! :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
InfernoST said:
I ask because there is a 2012 Exec in my color located in West Virginia which I would have to get back to Brooklyn NY. How fast is the bike going at 4K rpm?
My '03 is doing 65 indicated. I would assume you should be at 67-70 if your in overdrive.
But remember the spedo is about 10% off, so you are really doing 57-60.

·
Registered
704 Posts
When I got my '12 I used overdrive and got 69 mph at 4000rpm. I had just over 100 miles to home.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
How long before he jumps back to the 400? :blackeye:
Any takers out there? 8)

Hope you love your new ride Inferno! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scootereno said:
How long before he jumps back to the 400? :blackeye:
Any takers out there? 8)
We'll have to see about that one. The only thing that rots is I will be selling my 400 after I get the 650 so it would be difficult to jump back but stranger things have been known to happen.

scootereno said:
Hope you love your new ride Inferno! :thumbup:
Thanks.

In all honesty I'm a little nervous about riding it, there is going to be a bit of learning curve getting use to the bike.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Just Me said:
When I got my '12 I used overdrive and got 69 mph at 4000rpm. I had just over 100 miles to home.
Actual or indicated. That seems high if actual. I could be wrong though... you have me curious....This just gave me another reason to go ride this evening. :D

·
Administrator
18,352 Posts
Just Me said:
ibsteve said:
Actual or indicated. That seems high if actual. I could be wrong though... you have me curious....This just gave me another reason to go ride this evening. :D
My 08 is at about 69 MPH ON THE SPEEDO at 4000. If I go to 70 MPH it clicks up another bar. So if you have to ride 350 miles at TRUE 70+ MPH, I would not try it during rush hour as around here that is a true 75 to 80 MPH, or get in the slow lane and hope they don't try to make FLAT-JACK's out of ya.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Dave_J said:
[quote="Just Me":3fkicwx9]When I got my '12 I used overdrive and got 69 mph at 4000rpm. I had just over 100 miles to home.
ibsteve said:
My 08 is at about 69 MPH ON THE SPEEDO at 4000. If I go to 70 MPH it clicks up another bar. So if you have to ride 350 miles at TRUE 70+ MPH, I would not try it during rush hour as around here that is a true 75 to 80 MPH, or get in the slow lane and hope they don't try to make FLAT-JACK's out of ya.[/quote:3fkicwx9]

Yes, that is what is I remember from my 25 mile ride home from taking delivery from the dealer. I'm still checking it out on a ride tonight though. Wanna join me Dave, your not too far north of me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
704 Posts
ibsteve said:
Just Me said:
Indicated.

Good! Burgmans should never sit idle on a nice day! :cheers:

·
Administrator
18,352 Posts
ibsteve said:
Yes, that is what is I remember from my 25 mile ride home from taking delivery from the dealer. I'm still checking it out on a ride tonight though. Wanna join me Dave, your not too far north of me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I make it down to the PDX area about once a year on my Burgman. Easy ride of 2 hours. I rode it down to Dallas and back in one day. When Verizon sent me down to Tigard for two weeks of Fios training I rode it down and spent every night riding to Albany, Salem, Silverton and McMinnville, just to have dinner with a friend or family.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts