Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know if this product has yet reached your shores but after trying out the 'RiderScan' blind-spot mirror (£39) to the German Black Forest and back my personal opinion is that it doesn't do what it says on the tin. The main view is a distorted one of oneself (looking quite silly with outstretched arms), and this view fills most of the mirror, and when it did show a blind-spot vehicle it appeared to come out of my neck and was gone in a flash - ie. there was no warning of a vehicle approach. My little mirrors mounted on the main ones showed approaching vehicles well before the RiderScan did. The RiderScan is mounted on the windscreen exactly as per instructions. As I said, this is my personal opinion and I would be very interested to know the reaction of anyone else who has tried this product. The picture shows my bike loaded up with my wheely suitcase on holiday somewhere in Germany.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bernabeu said:
assuming that your pic shows a mounting position as per mfgr. specs. ~ the concept is absurd
The mounting position is as it should be. I would be very interested if you would expand on the 'absurd concept' bit of your message.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I think the concept is sound and I was tempted to get one myself, so thanks for the feedback I will not bother.

I reckon the problem is in execution and specific to the Burgman where the distance between mirror and rider may not be as favourable as other bikes.

I wonder if it would be better mounted between the handlebars?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NormanB said:
I think the concept is sound and I was tempted to get one myself, so thanks for the feedback I will not bother. I reckon the problem is in execution and specific to the Burgman where the distance between mirror and rider may not be as favourable as other bikes. I wonder if it would be better mounted between the handlebars?
I don't think the distance has anything to do with it because it's much of a muchness on any bike. Mounting it between the bars (for which they provide the fixings) IMO would simply give you a view of a belly area with arms outsretched. No, I think the whole thing needs a rethink and the real answer lies in developing a suitable little camera somewhere - which I am sure lies not too far into the future. Meanwhile I have just fitted half-moon blind-spot mirrors and when the British weather improves! will try them out.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
It's beautiful down here at the moment - I'm off in an hour for a 4 hour bimble! :)

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I have the RiderScan and it's neat, cheap and gives a wide angle view but due to its position directly in front, it can't see behind you as well as wide-angle side mirrors.

I have had various wide-angle side mirrors over the years, but these are the best I've found so far, the Saeng Quick-scans. More expensive than most but give the best view: http://www.saeng.com/category.php?category=61

Possibly better than all is the Reevu helmets. I am a flip-front helmet guy and I've been waiting for Reevu (they who make the helmet with in-built rearview mirror) to come out with a flip-front model, looks like it is due for release soon: http://www.justhelmets.co.uk/index.php? ... ml&Itemid=

The Reevu gives an unobstructed view of the rear (assuming no pillion!), but until trying one I don't know how well it will work. The non-flip-front has been well reviewed in the past, see: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... eevu/msx1/

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mazon said:
I have the Riderscan and like it. Mine is mounted lower, just above the vent on my Clearview windshield. I find it very useful. It provides one more way to see vehicles next to you, it's not for seeing behind you.

My small blind-spot mirrors allowed me to see behind as well as at the side - which is what RiderScan fails to do. Also, with the RiderScan when you do see a vehicle at the side it appears to come out of your neck and is gone in a nano-second - I want MUCH more time than that. No, I think the RiderScan is a good try, but it needs a lot more design thought. I have now upsized my blind-spot mirrors to the half-moon type (untried as yet). Whatever - the riderScan is definitely not for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts