Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have ridden big bikes many years, last 4 were GoldWings - Had to quit due to bad legs - Ques: Is a 650 physically larger than a 400? Have been able to sit on a 400, felt I was on a "moped" (pls don't get mad, guys) Aware a Wing to a Scooter is a radical change...
No 650 around for comparison at present... Realize they're smaller, which I need, but....Local dlr may get one in later this month but it may be sold.
Unsure If I should pursue this thanks (not ready for a trike)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
The 650 is about 605 pounds wet. It has an 89 inch wheelbase (vs a HD Road King Cop bike of 91").
Yes it is bigger than a 400.
However, my buddy's GW seems to tower over my bike - though when I take a moment to ponder user space and layout, there doesn't seem to be that big of a difference. Any bigger and I might be turned off (except for bore and stroke :twisted: )

Norm has both (amongst many other members - lucky dogs!)...he should be able to give a VG comparo.

btw - WELCOME to the group!

pete

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums colorider. Glad to have you join us.

Coming from a Goldwing, either Burgman will feel small. The 650 is a bit more substancial. You'll feel less cramped on the 650 especially if you're 6 ft tall or more.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I am 6'6", 225 lbs. I've done 13,500 miles on my '03 650, including some 500 mile touring days. Frankly, I wouldn't do more than a 500 mile day on any bike. The Burgman 650 cannot equal the comfort of a Goldwing for Interstate cruising, but I've passed Goldwings in the twisties without much effort. For general errand running and suburban jaunts the Burgman is much handier & a lot less effort to ride. To me Interstate riding is boring. It is a necessary evil sometimes, but it's not fun. So where the Goldwing is king, is a place I'd rather not be anyway. When I need to, the Burgman will knock off a 500 mile interstate day at 80 mph speeds - and leave me feeling not too beat up at the end of the day. It is a very versatile ride.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Before getting my 650, I had to opportunity to test drive the 400 as well, and have riden one since. The 400 is quite a lot narrower. I went through the GL1100, 1200 and 1500 before being liberated by scooters, and I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to tour anywhere on the 650 that I did on any of the Wings. I think when you get the chance to try a 650 on for size, you'll like it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
colorider said:
Have ridden big bikes many years, last 4 were GoldWings - Had to quit due to bad legs - Ques: Is a 650 physically larger than a 400? Have been able to sit on a 400, felt I was on a "moped" (pls don't get mad, guys) Aware a Wing to a Scooter is a radical change...
No 650 around for comparison at present... Realize they're smaller, which I need, but....Local dlr may get one in later this month but it may be sold.
Unsure If I should pursue this thanks (not ready for a trike)
Colorider, except for the wheels (14 and 15 on the 650, 13 on the 400) physically the 400 and 650 are the same size. Overall lenth ect. are for all praticall purposes the same. The seat height on the 650 is a few inches higher, the wheelbase is less than 1/4 inch differance on the two models.
The biggest differance is of course weight and Power and the 400 ain't no slouch. :wink: I have seen them side by side and so I have to disagree with Pete the 650 is not phyically bigger than the 400. I think that Bill Meek is right you will feel a little less cramped on the 650 simply because of the few inches higher seat, since you are sitting up a little higher your legs will be streched out a little more.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
swstiles said:
...I have seen them side by side and so I have to disagree with Pete the 650 is not phyically bigger than the 400....
400:
Overall Length: 2260mm (89.0 in.)
Overall Width: 760mm (29.9 in.)
Overall Height: 1375mm (54.1 in.)
Seat Height: 695mm (27.4 in.)
Ground Clearance: 125mm (4.9 in.)
Wheelbase: 1590mm (62.6 in.)
Dry Weight: 184kg (405 lbs.)

650:
Overall Width: 810mm (31.9 in.)
Overall Height: 1435mm (56.5 in.)
Seat Height: 750mm (29.5 in.)
Ground Clearance: 130mm (5.1 in.)
Wheelbase: 1595mm (62.8 in.)
Dry Weight: 238kg (524 lbs.)

True, the 650 is only a couple of inches higher and wider than the 400; but most of the extra weight is in the "fullness" of its sections, something the measurements above just don't reflect. The 650 is just "beefier" than the 400.

In fact, I have a picture of my 650 next to several other bikes -- BMW, Ural, Harley-Davidson, etc. -- taken from the upper deck of a ferry, and the 650 looks bigger from above than any of the others. The wide passenger's seat, trunk area fenders, etc. make this a big bike by any measure, and having ridden both a 400 and a 650 I will say that the 650 seems bigger to me...significantly.

colorider said:
...Is a 650 physically larger than a 400? Have been able to sit on a 400, felt I was on a "moped"...
Because of the step-through frame, lack of control pedals, etc. the 650, like the 400, may feel like a moped compared to your time on the Goldwing, but I think once you try one you'll like it if you give it a chance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
LEG PROBLEMS

HI ALL--I went from a 1000cc Kaw LTD to a 650 BURG because
of leg cramp problems and truely love the BURG---Not looking back. The 650 is bigger and can cruise with less RPM,s at a higher speed. 70-85
no prodlem. 400= 95mph----650=115mph just doesn't have to work as hard. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
DonRich90 said:
The 650 does have a little more room for a larger rider. Sitting on a 400 and turning the front wheel lock to lock, the grips hit me in the legs. On the 650 this wasn't a problem.
Don
Ditto. I had the same problem sitting on a Honda Silverwing. The Burgman 650 was the only one of the three where the handlebar cleared my legs when fully turned.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Brian said:
swstiles said:
...I have seen them side by side and so I have to disagree with Pete the 650 is not phyically bigger than the 400....
400:
Overall Width: 760mm (29.9 in.)
Overall Height: 1375mm (54.1 in.)
Seat Height: 695mm (27.4 in.)
Ground Clearance: 125mm (4.9 in.)
Wheelbase: 1590mm (62.6 in.)
Dry Weight: 184kg (405 lbs.)

650:
Overall Width: 810mm (31.9 in.)
Overall Height: 1435mm (56.5 in.)
Seat Height: 750mm (29.5 in.)
Ground Clearance: 130mm (5.1 in.)
Wheelbase: 1595mm (62.8 in.)
Dry Weight: 238kg (524 lbs.)

True, the 650 is only a couple of inches higher and wider than the 400; but most of the extra weight is in the "fullness" of its sections, something the measurements above just don't reflect.

The question was not about weight it was about weather or not the 650 was phyically larger or not. :wink:
I too have riden them both and the 650 feels heavier "but not larger phyically" and because of the extra seat height on the 650 I seemed to have a little more leg room and it seemed to be a little easier to "pull" my feet up after I got moving, but I might not have noticed that so much if I didn't have so much trouble with my knees.

here is quote from original post.
Ques: Is a 650 physically larger than a 400?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
The 400 is Svelte, the 650 is a Lardy!! :lol:

Dimensions can be deceiving - using the people analogy - 2 people could be the same height and waist measurement - but one of them could have a huge ass - Lardy! :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Plain speak?

The 650 is SMALLER than the 400!

8)

oooooo - now........ I shouldn't do that now should I?

:tongue:

sigh,
peter peter peter..... :twisted:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
swstiles said:
The question was not about weight it was about weather or not the 650 was phyically larger or not. :wink:
... here is quote from original post.
I understood the original question.

Since the 650's measurements are only a little greater than the 400's in length and width, but it is MUCH heavier, there has to be a reason for this difference; namely, the 650 is fuller in section (a SIZE reference) in areas such as the seat, cowling, instrument panel, etc.

"Physically larger" doesn't just mean longer from nose to tail, or wider at the handlebars/mirrors.

The 650 IS physically larger than the 400.

And BTW, the question was never about the weather. :p

·
Registered
553 Posts
Brian said:
swstiles said:
... here is quote from original post.
I understood the original question.

Since the 650's measurements are only a little greater than the 400's in length and width, but it is MUCH heavier, there has to be a reason for this difference;
"
The 650 IS physically larger than the 400.

I disagree, and I would say that the only reason the wheelbase on the 650 is a little more is because of the 650's 14 and 15 inch vs 13 inch wheels for the 400 and even then it is only .200 inch (less than 1/4 inch) I would also say that is the reason for the higher seat height. A army tank is heavier than a hot air ballon but the ballon is Phyically larger.
The 650 is not phyically larger than the 400 :bootyshake:

And since you brought up the weather it seems to be slowly getting better where I am, how about where you are>

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
"Can't we all just get along?!" ;)

If the measure of 'size' is in terms of linear dimensions (i.e. inches, centimeters), then swstiles is correct in saying that the 400 and the 650 are essentially the same size. You could fit both of them in about the same size box.

If the measure of 'size' is in terms of volume, then Brian is correct that 650 is plumpier than the 400.

Sit on both and I think you'll immediately say that the 650 feels larger than the 400. I sat on a 400 today and remember the 650 that I sat on last fall did feel larger/heftier.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
swstiles said:
The 650 is not phyically larger than the 400
Yours seems to be a minority opinion.

Pete said:
...Yes it is bigger than a 400.
billmeek said:
The 650 is a bit more substancial. You'll feel less cramped on the 650 especially if you're 6 ft tall or more.
bwdbrn1 said:
Before getting my 650, I had to opportunity to test drive the 400 as well, and have riden one since. The 400 is quite a lot narrower.
Brian said:
True, the 650 is only a couple of inches higher and wider than the 400; but most of the extra weight is in the "fullness" of its sections, something the measurements above just don't reflect. The 650 is just "beefier" than the 400.
L.SKULSKI said:
The 650 is bigger and can cruise with less RPMs at a higher speed.
DonRich90 said:
The 650 does have a little more room for a larger rider. Sitting on a 400 and turning the front wheel lock to lock, the grips hit me in the legs. On the 650 this wasn't a problem.
pauljo said:
The Burgman 650 was the only one of the three where the handlebar cleared my legs when fully turned.
NormanB said:
The 400 is Svelte, the 650 is a Lardy!! :lol:
frugality said:
If the measure of 'size' is in terms of volume, then Brian is correct that 650 is plumpier than the 400.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
swstiles said:
A army tank is heavier than a hot air ballon but the ballon is Phyically larger.
Yes, but an Army M1 tank is bigger than a T-72 tank, and a Graf Zepplin is bigger than a Goodyear blimp.

Lets compare apples with apples, and oranges with oranges, okay.

Also, thanks for asking; the weather in the Seattle area has been pretty good the last few days, and I've been riding a lot, whether I need to or not. :wink:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.