Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ride To The Light
(See pictures in gallery Ride To The Light)

It was a beautiful Sunday morning when I left my driveway to meet up with the local scooter club AKA: Space Coast Scooter Crew for a planed ride to the Ponce Inlet Lighthouse about 60 miles up the coast from where I live in Cocoa, Florida. The temperatures were in the high eighties and I knew it would be over ninety before this ride was over. The sun was bright with high billowing clouds and a slight breeze.

Heading up US 1 to Sandpoint Park in Titusville the traffic was light and it was easy to maintain the 55 MPH posted speed. Titusville is the county seat of Brevard County and sets on the Indian River across from the Kennedy Space Center. When I pulled into the park most of the riders had arrived. This is a dedicated bunch of riders and some of them had already traveled 50 miles or more to just go on this ride. The scooter crew is made up of Vespa’s , Stella’s, Burgman’s, Silverwing’s and any other type of scooter that may come along. After a round of handshaking and picture’s we headed north on US 1 to Daytona Beach.

As a scooter crew can only travel as fast as the slowest scooter the Vespas and Stellas lead the way while the Burgman’s brought up the rear along with one rider on a V star motorcycle because his scooter was not running. The trip was uneventful and the scenery along US 1 between Scottsmore and Oak Hill was a vista of oak trees and marsh land.

We all stopped so the smaller scooters could get fuel before crossing the causeway in South Daytona to get on A1A South to the inlet. We arrived a little after noon at the inlet and immediately proceeded to the Down The Hatch Seafood Restaurant located on the River that leads in from the inlet. There was a great view of the river and those rich folks were plowing those big boats up and down like gas was $1.00 a gallon. If you ever get to Daytona and many of us do try to make the trip down A1A to the restaurant it is well worth the trip and two wheel riders are always welcome. After a leisurely lunch and a couple of quick photos it was off to see the lighthouse.

Located 10 miles south of Daytona Beach, The Ponce Inlet Lighthouse overlooks Ponce Inlet and the Atlantic Ocean. Standing 175 feet tall this structure made of red brick was completed in 1873. It has a Museum, Gift Shop, and several other period building. For a nominal fee of $5.00 you can tour the buildings, lighthouse and if you are sound of body and heart can climb the 203 steps to the top for a spectacular view of the coast line.

We all met up back in the parking lot and said our goodbye’s. I rode with a couple of the scooter’s that had to go back to Titusville as far as the I 95 exit south of Oak Hill. As I work the midnight shift at the local hospital I was anxious to get home so I let the Burgie unwind down the interstate. After riding slow all day the wind passing through my Joe Rocket pants good. I arrived home shortly after 4 PM so I got a little rest before going to work. The trip was well worth the missed sleep and I recommend it to all.

If you live in the Central Florida area and are interested in becoming a member of the Space Coast Scooter Crew go the following link http://www.legendproductions.us/scsc/
Membership is FREE and this is a great bunch of folks to ride with. See you at the next meeting.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Nabob,

It sounds like you had a very nice time. The South East Florida Scooter/Motorcycle group will be riding up to Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral on October 8th. We will stay overnight in Cocoa Beach and head back home on the 9th. We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Cocoa Beach. It would be great to meet some of your members if you are riding in the area that weekend.

We have some members in your area. You can contact us at the Yahoo group link below my signature. I will suggest your group to our members in Central Florida.

Janine :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
ride to the light

Looking at your pics I see you parked in front of & I assume you ate at the '"scooter Cafe". Makes sense. Near me is a Suzuki dealer named "Burgers Cycles" , family name, makes sense. He also sells Hondas but I noticed he had no silverwings :shock: on display but did make use of the Burgman folding mirrors by packing the 3 scoots close together. Now I know the American reason for folding mirrors. 8)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts