Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may have gathered from the 3 Pass Blast - May 4th topic viewtopic.php?f=13&t=60947 that I bought a new motorcycle. I thought it would be an "epic" trip to go pick it up in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho before I left. I'm not sure if it was...but it was at least memorable 330+ miles.

I had been looking at another bike to supplement the 2008 Burgman 400 for months. Mostly window shopping, not being seriously ready to do anything. One thing I noticed in looking at the Honda CTX700, was the "full" fairing was only about a 3/4 fairing, if you're used to Burgman standards. My question on several forums, was...what do you do in the colder months when the air is colder and the rain is coming down? How do you keep your feet warm and dry? One response was to the effect of "why wouldn't you take your car?". Another response was a lot more helpful and pointed me to a used 2010 Honda NT700V only a couple miles from home.

I liked it and was hooked on it, even though my rational mind said it wasn't necessary. :wink: I made an offer, and he left on vacation for a week. (I still haven't heard back from him.) In the meantime, I used SearchTempest to see what else was around. I found a brand new 2011 NT700V in black with ABS...for not much more than the used one was. If you know anything about these bikes, you'll know that one reason they didn't sell well, was the price. Like everything else from Honda motorcycles, they are expensive. A new one of these is $11,200. This one was selling for $7600. I got the go ahead from my wife, called and ordered the bike from Coeur d'Alene Powersports and made the arrangements to pick it up yesterday.

I woke up yesterday at a little after 2am, and was on the road by 3:30am after double-checking to be sure I had all the gear I thought I'd need. The last thing I wanted to do, was to show up on the other end without my helmet or something else needed. The trip over was totally uneventful. I rented a one-way rental from Enterprise, and they were nice enough to drop me off a CdA Powersports when I arrived.

The bike was ready and parked outside when I arrived. (Larger size images can be found here.)

Some salesman will just hand you the keys and that's the end of it. They don't know their product, and since you're buying a "scooter"...or in this case, a bike that isn't a crotch rocket or cruiser, they won't even bother to learn anything about it. The salesman, Kevin, went through the entire bike with me, even pointing out some things I'd never have thought of. He was a pleasure to work with.

I had a pile of things I'd brought with me in plastic bags that I'd normally carry with me on any trip. Things like extra tools, my Slime and Stop&Go plug kit. Some extra clothes. There's nothing worse than finding the weather changed and you now have three hours of riding to go as you cross a mountain pass, and you're cold that entire time. When I looked at the bike, I wondered where I'd put it all. Well, it all fit inside the two side cases. Those cases don't look big, and they are certainly not as convenient to stuff odds and ends into, but they worked well.

I left a couple hours later and headed up I-90 till I got through Spokane and then went off on US2. Eastern Washington is totally different than the Seattle area. To give you an idea of the population density difference...King and Snohomish County where I live can vote Democrat while the entire rest of the state votes Republican...and the Democrats will carry the state. It just goes to show you how many people are packed into that crowded I-5 corridor. Eastern Washington on the other hand has several (not a lot) of small towns that don't even have stop lights. Here's a Google Maps screen capture that'll give you an idea.
[attachment=0:1mko5ks2]Wilbur.JPG[/attachment:1mko5ks2]
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with small towns like that. For me, it was a feeling like moving back to the 50's of the last century.

It seemed like I had been driving into a headwind as I was driving to Coeur d'Alene, so I was hoping for a tailwind on the way home. It wasn't to be. :( One of the reasons I didn't take many pictures, was the wind. Wow! The bike stayed planted well. No problems with it at all. But especially when the wind was a side wind and not from the front where the fairing could take the blast, it felt like my helmet would've been ripped off my head if it hadn't been strapped on. I watched my gas mileage readout go from about 56 down to 50 before I got out of the winds, when it started climbing again.

I passed by Dry Falls, which I wish I'd had more time to take in. I've been there before, years ago. It is rather unique and something you just have to see to believe. Wikipedia gives a great description on their webpage for it. Here's the first paragraph of their description.
Dry Falls is a 3.5 mile long scalloped precipice in central Washington, on the opposite side of the Upper Grand Coulee from the Columbia River, and at the head of the Lower Grand Coulee. Ten times the size of Niagara, Dry Falls is thought to be the greatest known waterfall that ever existed. According to the current geological model, catastrophic flooding channeled water at 65 miles per hour through the Upper Grand Coulee and over this 400-foot (120 m) rock face at the end of the last ice age. At this time, it is estimated that the flow of the falls was ten times the current flow of all the rivers in the world combined.
I stopped alongside the road where you could see a portion of the Dry Falls and took this picture.

I kept going after that, trying to put some miles down...knowing that Dave_J had left earlier to meet me in Cashmere and I didn't want him to wait too long. A little farther down the road from Dry Falls, US2 falls steeply into a valley, then climbs on the other side. If you're interested, it is around Moses Coulee Road...now does that tell you anything? :lol: It's in the middle of nowhere in Eastern Washington, and if you're looking for peace and quiet, you can find it around here. I got a chance to leave the straight roads of US2 as it followed the terrain in this section.

US2 comes up against the Columbia River over by Orondo, WA. Just about a mile down the road and I came across this scene.

I was thinking to myself how beautiful it was, and how there didn't seem to be a good place to pull off...and then finally decided Dave could wait while I turned around and found one. I knew I'd kick myself in the rear later, if I didn't.

I made it into Cashmere at about 3:30pm. By then, I was tired and dehydrated. These NT700s don't have a good place to put a coffee cup! (I'll have to figure that one out this weekend...) We decided to sit outside with our BBQ. I should've taken a picture of the food, but we were both so hungry, we ate it all...and then I thought of the camera. Sorry. So you'll have to put up with a picture of our mugs instead.

This being a Burgman forum, the trip would not be complete without a picture of a Burgman...even if it was a 650. :lol:

And that's the trip. We left after spending a couple hours just sitting around and talking. Dave's headlights looked a bit dim on the way home, but he made it okay. It was a good trip. Probably not "epic", but a good trip with lots of great memories...especially the part about meeting up with a good friend.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Chris,

Nice trip report and nice new ride. I would be interested in how you like the NT700 after you put a few miles on it as it compares to the Burgman. So did the long ride home worry you any as it relates to staying within the breakin parameters?

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
Looks like you had a nice trip Chris. The NT looks good.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IntRunner40 said:
Chris,

Nice trip report and nice new ride. I would be interested in how you like the NT700 after you put a few miles on it as it compares to the Burgman. So did the long ride home worry you any as it relates to staying within the breakin parameters?
There's no real break in parameters. It looks to me like "ride as I normally do".

From page 216 of the Owner's Manual:
Help assure your motorcycle’s future
reliability and performance by paying
extra attention to how you ride during the
first 300 miles (500 km).
During this period, avoid full-throttle
starts and rapid acceleration.
Chris

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Stunning scenery. Thanks for the report and congratulations on your new Bur...er ah, ride! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I too have had the itch for a motorcycle again since selling the Harley project. Just for fun not to replace my spectacular 400.
I have my sites on a Honda Magna V45 that a local is selling. I like the Honda and wouldn't mind shifting gears again.
My only problem is throwing my leg over the seat but that shouldn't be an issue riding it only as a "Sunday" driver bike.
Congrats to ya and glad I finally got to see a good pic of DaveJ. 8)

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Like the pictures and the story Chris. Just wondering if you could keep up with DaveJ on his 650. :lol:

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He kept falling behind me till we stopped and I made him go in front. :lol:

Chris

·
Registered
704 Posts
for those of us that have never met you, who is who on the mug shot?

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave is the good looking guy with the Army shirt.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
OMG that extremely pretty country.

Congratulation Daboo !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts