Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I rode my Burgman 650 Exec from my home near Annapolis, MD to the Antietam Battlefield in western Maryland. The 205 mile roundtrip was well worth it. The Battle of Antietam was fought during September 1862, 151 years ago. This was the bloodiest single day battle in our nation's history. Today, the battlefield is one of the most beautiful spots on earth. This short YouTube video shows my ride across the battlefield on a beautiful September day in 2013. It was filmed using a GoPro 2 HD camera attached to my Givi windscreen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zINzXruzOhA&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
66 Posts
That was awesome, thank you for sharing!

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Great video, thanks for sharing. We used to live about 30 miles from there, very pretty area. We were in the car getting ready to leave from the watchtower when this lady in a S10 Blazer comes blasting in and hits a parking bumper and goes down the hill by the tower. No one was hurt so we left. Strange ending to a nice visit.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Go back there on the evening of the first Saturday in December and you'll see a mind blowing display. One candle is lit for each soldier killed, wounded or missing. They direct you in via an exit and you crest on hill after another until you can finally see almost all of the battlefield. You're awestruck cresting the first hill and absolutely numb when you see the full panoply of candles and realize what they represent. Just a few feet apart, the whole ground is just covered.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Was that the battle at which Washington and Maryland residents came to watch the battle and brought picnic baskets? I read that about one of the first battles of the Civil War and wondered if people were crazy or just stupid at that time. I am one of those people who believes that the Civil War should not have happened. After reading and researching it during college it just seems to me that the South was being pushed into a corner instead of everyone sitting down and discussing the problems...and trying to find a universal compromise. What most people do not know is that the slavery issue was not THE issue, just one of the issues. Too many good people died in that war for too many of the wrong reasons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts