Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on my 1st group ride Saturday with Ohio Bike and Scoot. We had 6 bikes, 3- 650's, my 400, a Tmax 500, and a Harley.

It was an awesome ride through amish country. I'd never been down there so it was all new to me. All said and done it was 250 mile day for me. A the start of the trip I had no clue if I could (or had the desire) to do 100 miles, let alone 200. Overall I was tired but no problems with the burg or the seat.

Join us if you are in Ohio..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYvGDHkZkfI

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
beautiful scenery, thanks for sharing it!

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I like the way that you guys handle
a group ride....I'd ride with you anytime.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 of the riders have racked miles together. Myself and the guy on the Harley were new to the group.

I'm the bike right in front of the camera guy. Funny thing, I noticed my leaky exhaust was as loud as the Harley. :) Everyone thought it was custom:D

This is the 1st time I had seen 650's in person. I was really surprised by how quiet they were. Riding behind one all day.. sounded like I was following George Jetson.

On the way back one of the riders let me ride his 650. I told him he was crazy but I was NOT going to refuse his offer. I had a 15-20 minute ride on it. Although I think I still want one in the future, I was not as blown away as I thought I would be. I'm not sure why. The acceleration was outstanding. The ride height caught me off guard, I didn't realize how much lower my 400 sat until I actually sat on his 650. I think my factory windscreen offered more protection than the 03- 650 stock screen. I didn't lean it much due to it being new to me, it definitely handled differently. I can see being perfectly happy with my 400 riding solo. But I can see the 650 really shining for 2 up riding. Perhaps a weekend with it or a full day would change my mind.

I started the ride with 2 miles on my brand new tires and brakes, so took it easy for awhile. By the time I got home they were certainly broken in:eek:ccasion5: I did another 129 miles on Sunday. A real record breaker for me on one weekend. I think i like this group riding stuff!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
xringracing I was born and raised in Tuscarawas county, New Philadelphia to be exact. I've ridden that part of the country a lot. There's a large population of Amish just south of me here in Florida too. I go to an Amish ice cream shop down here that sells genuine Troyer's trail bologna that they get shipped down from Trail Ohio. When I lived up there I used to take deer to them and have them process it just like their trail bologna.
Back on topic, that's some beautiful country to ride in. Thank you for the video, it brings back some fond memories.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I just finished watching the video and I saw you ate at Der Dutchman. The family that owns it has relatives that live down here and they opened a Der Dutchman in Sarasota, FL. I bought a shoo fly pie and a carrot cake from them for Easter dinner. The owner of ice cream shop I mentioned above is related to that family.

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>I bought a shoo fly pie<<

Aw man, I haven't had that since I lived in Mennonite country of Penn. way back when. Hmmm, good!

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Great video, thanks for sharing! Truly a beautiful day for a ride!:)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad you all liked it.

Happy to bring back memories for you model28. I take no credit for the video itself, tis not mine. But I'm happy to share.

Der Dutchman was quite interesting. Food was great. There was a constant line all the way out the door, but the place is so big, it wasn't more than a 5-10 minute wait. The view in the video has nothing on the real thing. I took a pic or two with my cell but it didn't portray reality at all. I plan to start taking my good camera on future rides. Incidentally, my favorite part of the ride resulted after lunch, but the video was cut short. The view was better in the link, but we went through a little more twisties and a faster pace towards the end of the ride. That was ok with me since I nervous about my new tires at the beginning.

"shoo fly pie"... Never had it, perhaps i will put it on my bucket list for the next trip:). Now that I see how nice it is, I plan to ride down for a day with wife sometime this summer.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be sure to look for the Trail Bologna also. I'm sure we had to have rode very close to that city.

I had no clue our route or how far we were. I was just along to get lost in the ride and let the local leader worry about where we were going.

We started in Barberton, and I know we went through Walnut Creek, Berlin, Millersburg, took 83 N for a bit, not sure if we went to Wooster or not...:D I had no clue where we were :confused:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
You can find Trail Bologna at about any of the cheese houses in Walnut Creek, Berlin and Millersburg probably any place that sells cheese. I've never had the cheddar Trail bologna or the hot pepper Trail bologna they are newer products. Here's a link to the original Troyers store in Trail Ohio. http://www.troyerstrail.com/store.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts