Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Super Moderator
I've mentioned this one before..
When I was working in a call center a few years back, I rode to work year round in this area. Nowhere near Dave's commute but over much of the same roads and through the same weather.
There was a gaggle of cruiser types who'd (good naturedly) give me flak for my "Moped" now and again...Then one day i made a mistake.
There was a big wind event coming, but when I checked the weather looked like I'd neatly duck around it due to my shift. I'd get to work before it, park on the lee side of the building and head home after it..Except..this is the PNW so it hit after I was committed on the freeway.
No real visibility, partially due to a jerk in a truck who did his best to stay right next to me (mudflaps? What are these "mudflaps" of which you speak?) but also do to the driving rain that was causing flash flooding...that was the only time I ever hydroplaned on a bike...and of course the wind gusts to 25-40mph...

I made it to work of course since the Burger's a great bike and I was determined not to die..An hour or so later one of the cruiser types wandered over...looked a me..looked at the weather..patted my back and I never got any flak again for my "Moped"....

Registered
Well if you want to be pedantic a scooter is traditionally a step through with the engine over the rear wheel. Therefore the 400 is a scoot the 650 is a real mans bike :p 馃榿

Registered
I just ran out to the garage and looked at my 400 and the engine seems to be in front of the rear wheel.... wtf?

Registered
I just ran out to the garage and looked at my 400 and the engine seems to be in front of the rear wheel.... wtf?
That is what technically makes it a SCOOTER. If it were anywhere else on your 400, I'd be very worried.:eek:

Registered
Wait a minute here.... maccecht says the engine has to be OVER the rear wheel to be a scooter. Yet dogboy says it's a scooter because the engine is in FRONT of the rear wheel. Again, wtf????

Premium Member
try coming up on it from the back ,then it's engine behind rear wheel, front tire behind engine!

Registered
Well if your engine , swingarm etc all move as one it's a scooter according to legend. So the 400 is a scooter in definition but at the end of the day if it is called a scooter by the manufacturer you are screwed. Ultimitly who cares we the scooteristi as the Italians say
non me ne frega un cazzo 馃榿

Super Moderator
The Big burger's an underbone motorcycle, just a really big one by definition.
The 400's a scooter as you note.
So where does the S'wing fit in with the swing arm mounted CVT but frame mounted motor? :unsure:馃浀馃弽
Well if your engine , swingarm etc all move as one it's a scooter according to legend. So the 400 is a scooter in definition but at the end of the day if it is called a scooter by the manufacturer you are screwed. Ultimitly who cares we the scooteristi as the Italians say
non me ne frega un cazzo 馃榿

Registered
Love telling people I ride a 'scooter' because most will inevitably ask, "Where do you ride it? and W=How fast will it go?" Answers, Where ever I want. (and I believe this to be a Dave_J quote) It'll go killing speed.

Haters gonna hate...ride your ride and enjoy.

Super Moderator
I don't rip on people for what they ride...

Now HOW they ride, and their attitude towards others, is a different story entirely.
Attitude is everything. I can get past a lot of things but a bad attitude puts me right off. I'll not be apologizing to anyone for my choice of bikes or be expecting that from them. The whole Burgman or scooter riding experience would be lost on most riders. Call them whatever they want but in the case of the big burger, it'll keep up with the majority of the touring bikes I know of and makes a lot more sense for my type of riding.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts