Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
18,335 Posts
And comments are 85% biased as "Not a Motorcycle".

Reactions: Steve_YYZ

·
Registered
26 Posts
Having had 6 MC's over the course of my life I'm presently on a scooter because I can't drive a MC anymore. It's more than just semantics, if scooters weren't available I'd be in a cage. I'm proud to drive a scooter, and am quick to correct folks when they call it a motorcycle.

Among its many attributes, the efficient way it downshifts ...to me it's an engineering marvel.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
This is more an issue in the US than anywhere else really. Some is ego, some is pride and some is just snobism.

No one has an issue in the rest of the world to call even the gp800 a scooter. In all of Europe they are very much accepted and forget about Asia where its the norm.

This is an elitist issue between motorcycles and scooters. I have no issue saying a scooter about any automatic 2 wheeler.

Every women I've dated has enjoyed the scooter I had. They sit comfortably, have a nice backrest. They can put their things under the seat and they dont have to carry their helmet into the establishment we go into be it a restaurant or show etc.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
This is more an issue in the US than anywhere else really...
UK too to some extent.

I think part of it as that in places like France, Italy, Spain etc most riders had scooters as teens to get around and meet friends in rural areas and big cities. Very few do that here.

We also share a version of the machismo ideas about personal image and vehicles.

As I’ve said in a thread before I on e got blanked by some bikers at an airshow sneering because I parked my Burgman next to their bikes. As soon as they saw me go airside and transfer my kit into a big butch turbine helicopter - they wanted to chat.
If they had said hello when I first did they’d have got a free ride. Instead I took a photographer who’d asked if he could take a pic of the cockpit. Nice bloke, we stayed in touch for a while and he did the pics for my friends wedding.

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
I Proudly call it a Scooter ! I just wish it didn’t take me 18 years to find out how much fun and relaxing a Scooter can be. If I had known I wouldn’t have bought my last five motorcycles and the expensive Racks and Bags.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sadly, it's not just MCs with a snobby "antisocial" attitude. I've encountered quite a few scooter riders who shun everyone else regardless of what they ride, and never want to get involved with others. :(

As for the "macho bikers", if they give you crap ask them why they disappear off the road just because it gets a little cold out. 😂 Tends to shut them up QUICK.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I actually dont see a motorcycle having any advantage to a scooter and more disadvantages.
power? it depends what country you can use that extra power. you can ride faster but how much till its a risk. a 400+ will get to high speeds too.

rain? fully exposed. with a scooter you can tuck in and get much less wet. on a motoryclce I saw many who did not wear proper shoes and got stuck in the rain. no windshield. I have my rain suit at the ready under the seat folded. motorcyclist has to wear his or have it on hand in a backpack or tov box.

no place to put anything and a top box looks horrifically ugly on a motorcycle. on a scooter it looks the part. even on a tmax it looks horrific. such a nice sleek scooter and that box stands out like a sore thumb. on a burgman it looks the part. and whats the deal with those ugly rectangular boxes that look like they connected a toolbox to it. horrific design aesthetics.

I do hate the sound of a thumper engine though. sounds like old man farts all the time. dual pistons sound nice.

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
If a cyclist sneers at your scooter, just tell him you need a place to hang your dangly bits over the seat front

Reactions: Rusty J and VSF11

·
Registered
9 Posts
If a cyclist sneers at your scooter, just tell him you need a place to hang your dangly bits over the seat front
😂😂😂😂😂

·
Registered
683 Posts
Why does anyone really care what a motorcyclist calls your scooter? Does his opinion really matter to you? To think so is to assume a subordinate position to someone else's viewpoint. Not bloody likely, thank you very much.

That said, I do tend to refer to my AN650 as a "motorcycle" to non-riders simply because it's less confusing to them. If I tell them I'm riding my scooter 200 miles they look a little surprised since they think of a Vespa-like vehicle. Easier to just call it a motorcycle.

BTW, this is the group that I led on a 425 km ride yesterday. None of them care that my bike is a "scooter." It's just another capable bike to them.

·
Super Moderator
871 Posts
According to my insurance company, mine is a scooter. Works for me, much cheaper premiums and the bike doesn't care. According to me, it's a bike. I've had bigger bikes and I've had smaller bikes but none were more adept at doing typical (for me) motorcycle stuff. I commute everyday on it and have room for my laptop and a few bags of groceries. I get away and explore the mountains and little blue highways of eastern OK and NW AR and a lot of Texas too. It takes me back and forth to my home in Illinois every chance I get. It cruises pretty well at highway speeds and is easy to ride around town. I get a lot of comments about riding it long distance but it really doesn't bother me. I ride to make me happy and I don't worry about what they say. In my mind it is more of a motorcycle than a scooter just for the characteristics I mentioned.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I rode motorcycles from 1962 thru 2005 (Honda, Kawasaki; Suzuki, & BMW) and that's longer than some of the so called "Bikers' have been alive.

I now ride a maxi scooter because of my damaged body thanks to police work. And I really don't care what motorcyclists think of my scooter. I got pissed with the local riding motorcycle riding group who refused to allow a female Vespa 300 owner to ride with them because they felt that she couldn't keep up with them. I declined their offer to ride with them.

I usually refer to my Burg 400 as my "Motor Bike" when I'm talking to non-riders in order to avoid confusion. When I told them that I rode a scooter and then they saw it, they'd say, "Wow, that's as big as a motorcycle and looks like one". They were expecting to see a small type scooter. That's my two cents - thanks.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Legally, all of my scooters are motorcycles, except for the relic Vespa 150 Super* (it's about 145cc) -- the cutoff is 150cc.
From an engineering standpoint, the Burgman 650 is a motorcycle. Scooters have the engine floating (pivoting) with the rear swingarm (that's usually also where the transmission is)**. The Burgman 200 and Vespa LXS 150 are scooters under that definition and really, look how you'd expect a scooter to look.

The two motorcycles (an old airhead Beemer and a fairly new Husky dirt-bike looking machine) are clearly motorcycles. Used to have a Honda Pacific Coast, which despite being built around the core of their Shadow cruiser, was called a "scooter on steroids".

Whatever. Just ride.

* I really should get around to reviving it, since it's been gathering dust for 30 years or so.
** Exceptions: Lambretta, Cushman, Mitsubishi from back in the 40s through 60s.

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
You too?
Makes it possible to ride but they do go a bit numb resting on the centre tunnel :)
I don't know if you know the joke, but" I will blow out the lantern if you will take ten pounds off the fish"

Reactions: VSF11

·
Registered
4 Posts
I call my 650 a scooter. It definitely confuses people when you just casually talk about riding your scooter down the highway at 75 but that's part of the fun to me.

It's a shame some have to be so uptight (or worse) to hate on someone else's choices of bike. You're cool in my book no matter what you ride. I even cool with the folks riding Can-Ams.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Super Moderator
871 Posts
It's a shame some have to be so uptight (or worse) to hate on someone else's choices of bike. You're cool in my book no matter what you ride. I even cool with the folks riding Can-Ams.
Well said Ms. There is enough hate in the world without worrying about disliking someone's choice of two wheels. I personally am not into the Spyders/Can Ams or whatever they are called but I can also see the lure if a person is no longer able to hold their multi-cylindered fire breathing cruiser in an upright position. In the wind is in the wind. Doesn't make any difference how to me.

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
“In the wind is in the wind.” .......for the win ! I can’t wait to kite surf .

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've always called my bikes a 'motorbike'; from the biggest Harley to the 50cc mopeds of the '70s. Originally there was a nice shock value when you speak of your motorbike, and someone discovers it's a big macho machine. You seem modest in comparison to some other bikers.

Now that it's a scooter, the shock value is less but the name 'motorbike' is still accurate and useful … or you can call your bike Henrietta.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts