Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering what rpms vs speed does the 650 run at? Say 60, 70, and 80 mph. What about the different modes? Power mode vs normal?

Timothy

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
level road no wind my 400 will sit at 67 mph @ 6000 rpm's.
I am a little surprised the 650 rpm are as high as 4000 @ 64 mph.

·
Registered
111 Posts
On my AN650 at an indicated 60 MPH I'm right at the 4000 RPM block in Normal mode. I haven't run it that fast in Power mode... there's plenty of power (for me) in normal mode at that speed. Power mode is more for those stop light starts when it's necessary to impress... :D

I find that Power mode generally adds about 1500 to the RPMs and then the engine sounds like it's working a good bit harder. I don't cruise in Power mode... just use it for situations when I want lots of... power. :)

WLB :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Power Mode is also excellent when riding tight, twisty, hilly roads. I used it a lot in the Black Hills, and again in the tighter curves of hwy 62 west out of Eureka Springs, Arkansas. It puts you in the right power band for that type of riding.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
Power Mode is also excellent when riding tight, twisty, hilly roads. I used it a lot in the Black Hills, and again in the tighter curves of hwy 62 west out of Eureka Springs, Arkansas. It puts you in the right power band for that type of riding.
I concur. Power mode is great when riding in the twisties, because there is also an increase in the "engine braking" effect. Whatever I want the bike to do it just seems to do, almost by magic it seems.

In normal mode there are more times that I'd need to brake a little, and afterward it would seem to be "behind the curve" on accelerating again.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Actually, if you consider how the 650's CVT operates, you'll note that the RPM and speed are not directly linked like a normal transmission. The CVT's computer feeds information to the motor that operates the pulley so that the engine is always running at the most efficient RPM. Unlike a normal gearbox, the 650's transmission is infinately variable. That's why the Burgman gets better mileage than the Silverwing.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Burger Bob said:
Actually, if you consider how the 650's CVT operates, you'll note that the RPM and speed are not directly linked like a normal transmission.
True; that's characteristic of all CVTs.

That's why people are saying things like "While cruising..." and "... when straight and level." There is definitely a "range" of speed possibilites at any RPM, and an RPM range at any speed.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I really feel left out here as I have not got a tacho - :cry:

What rider decisions are made with this info :?:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
NormanB said:
What rider decisions are made with this info :?:
None, of course. The tranny makes all the decisions for you. One exception. If you are in manual mode and trying for max acceleration with the 650, you want to shift up just before the rev limiter cuts in at redline. But most of us "well behaved" riders don't go there... :wink:

I have a tach in my Ford Taurus car too - even less useful. But I still like knowing what rpm the engine is turning at a given cruising speed.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why I asked the question....

I am thinking about purchasing the 650 and I guess I like to know how the engine "loafs" along at highway speed. My 400 is working at 60 mph (5300 rpms) and after taking it to a BMW Rally, on its very first long distance trip, I am seriously baffled.

The 400 handled the interstates and back roads wonderfully which begs the all important question and dilema for me. It was smooth, got over 70 mpg, packed my sleeping bag and tent under the seat and was a real hit at the rally. Many of the people who approached me loved the styling and the whole concept of a large scooter. I had a couple of people request road tests...had to say no!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Timothy Ma said:
I am thinking about purchasing the 650 and I guess I like to know how the engine "loafs" along at highway speed. My 400 is working at 60 mph (5300 rpms)
I had my 650 out for a short ride this morning. I checked the tach at an indicated 70 mph and it looked like 4500 rpm. I think that rpms increase quite a bit at 80 mph though - I just didn't have a safe place to check that this morning. I will probably check it later in the week.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Timothy Ma said:
...My 400 is working at 60 mph (5300 rpms)...
Is 5300RPM really working? I don't know that much about the 400s, but assuming it is somewhat similar to the 650 doesn't it redline somewhere near 8000RPM?

If so, then 5300RPM is only 66% of maximum load. That sound pretty good to me.

I love my 650, but if the 400 feels good to you, and gets you where you want to go, then why worry?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Brian said:
Timothy Ma said:
...My 400 is working at 60 mph (5300 rpms)...
Is 5300RPM really working? I don't know that much about the 400s, but assuming it is somewhat similar to the 650 doesn't it redline somewhere near 8000RPM?
I agree. Any engine is designed to work, normally they get into trouble if you underwork them (the old dear using it to run 2 blocks twice a day) or overwork them (long distance flat out).

At 60mph (I do not know the RPM - ain't got a tacho :cry: ) my Burger is very happy and sounds sweet with a load in reserve!!

In fact at 60mph, my Burgman sounds like its saying 'Whats up Norm? Is this the parking lot? When are we are setting off?'

My guess in percentage terms - 60mph represents less than 50% power (without a passenger)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey yeah,

Thanks guys. I just needed to know so I can rationize purchasing the 650 or maybe not. Tough decision right now especially after taking it on an short highway holiday. The 400 handled it beautifully.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Timothy Ma said:
Hey yeah,

Thanks guys. I just needed to know so I can rationize purchasing the 650 or maybe not. Tough decision right now especially after taking it on an short highway holiday. The 400 handled it beautifully.
Sounds like you are happy with the 400. I'd say leave it at that and enjoy it. Run with it and save money too.
I'm not so sure if your engine was really "working" at 5000 RPM. Especially if it was smooth and getting 70 MPG. You certainly won't get that kind of gas milage with the 650.
Motorcycle engines are designed work in higher RPM ranges. I'll bet that if the 400 did not have a tach this wouldn't ever have been an issue.
As for "loafing" along, my GMC Sierra truck does under 2000 RPM at 75 MPH. But that's apples and oranges.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts