Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched through previous post about the inspection for the cooling Fan Filter. In the end I'm still no closer to understanding what is involved on a 2012 Burgman 400. I also have the Suzuki AN400/A Service Manual which I don't think is all that clear. For starters, here is the link to the post by Fernando: http://burgmanusa.com/forums/52-burgman-400-2007-model/69745-missing-cooling-fan-filter.html Although this was answering a missing cooling fan filter, it is a good reference with a photo included.

In the back of the service manual is a blue supplement section for the different year models. For the 2012, here is further instructions.
1. Remove the front frame cover. (ref page)
2. Remove the left slide leg shield (ref page)
3. Remove the clamps (shows on hose)
4. Remove the belt cooling duct hose by loosening the clamp screws. (illustration.

On another page the service manual it says: Carefully use compressed air to clean the cooling fan filter. (other places saying to wash)

Since this is a suggested to be done every 1,800 miles; I'm curious how much trouble this is to do?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi Ms Flinthills, the fan filter clean is actually quite easy. There is not much you need to remove from the bike. Although if you read the manual it does suggest removing all sorts, which in theory is the correct way to do it, but takes extra time. My bike is the same as yours, a 2012 and it takes very little time, about 12 minutes to remove, and about the same to put back with a small amount of time inbetween to let the filter dry. I always wash my filter in warm soapy water.

I find you don't need to remove the lower plastic panel completely. But do so if you wish. I just remove the rubber floor mat on the left side of the bike. Remove the panel securing plastic rivets from half of the panel towards the rear of the bike. Unclip the the very bottom plastic panel that goes under the bike to give a bit more movement on the plastic panel above it. You'll find you can then gently pull the necessary plastic out away from the area you need to work on. Then use a screwdriver to remove the cvt air duct pipe by undoing the duct bracket. Next undo the outer cvt filter cover nuts noting where they go as the lengths are different. Remove the cover. You will then see the filter in it's frame. Undo the nuts, again noting where they go as the lengths are important and mixing them up with the filter cover nuts could damage the cooling fan on the variator if you put them back incorrectly. Just wash the filter in warm soapy water and allow to dry. Assembly is reversal of the above procedure. Take your time the first time you do it and you really won't have a problem. You are right to research beforehand but the procedure is almost completely self explanatory once you get started. Come back if my sketchy instructions are not clear.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you remove the left side plastic, instead of just pull it loose, how long would you estimate this will take?

Mitch also has videos on these.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Not very much longer, only a few minutes for removal and then the same again for refit. But as an ex tech I work on the basis that if there is no need to do it then don't do it. Full removal doesn't make the job any easier, but if you undo the panels the right amount you save yourself some small amount of time and work. It's up to individuals to try it for themselves and see what they find best. Even with full removal it's about 17 minutes removal and the same for refit so it's not a big deal either way.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi Quantum Mechanic, thanks for the very clear instructions of how to do this as compared to the service manual's. Also, will note the tip on replacing cover nuts to their right place.

One last question and that is: Do you stick to the suggested 1,800 km/mile cleaning? Where I live is a 1/2 mile stretch of gravel (packed) road before hitting the highway and it can get pretty dusty.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/52-burgman-400-2007-model/69745-missing-cooling-fan-filter.html

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
just a couple of other notes
1. As i have been removing my filter and cover every week or so - long story as to why but basically to check the variator nut - i actually am only putting 2 of the 3 bolts that hold the cooling cover on my 2008 - im assuming it isnt that different on a 2012 - I could do all 3 as suggested with a little tupperware movement but 2 bolts hold it on pretty darned good - also btw its a socket for me not a screwdriver to remove them so maybe 2012 is different
2. The filter itself is thin foam - so be careful you dont put a hole in it as you clean or remove it - else you will need to replace it - dont ask me how i know !

on the frequency - my weekly looks prevent me from offering advice here - sorry - but i would say dusty environment do it more frequently -

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi, yes I roughly stick to 1800 to 2000 miles. Where I live is not too dusty. But it's not very critical. But it must be kept reasonably clean to allow clean cool air to get into the transmission. Gbjbany is right though about a dusty environment, just do it a bit more often if you live in the outback! From memory you can use a screwdriver or 8mm socket on the air duct set screw/bolt head on the 2012. Quite handy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Actually, if you buy a spare, it will always be ready to install. Thus, no need to wait while you wash and dry the one you remove.

Experience will be the best teacher with respect to how often it should be removed, and that will depend mostly on the roads you ride, and whether it is wet or dry, etc.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It comes with the alloy frame. It's bonded into it ready for use. It's very expensive here in the Uk. Washing it and waiting just a few minutes or using the hair dryer is much cheaper...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is no link because I couldn't find an online source, but rather I called the nearest Suzuki dealer in Wichita, KS, Mid America Powersports at (316) 945-8221 and talked to their part's department.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts