Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to have the new Polaris 2.4L DOHC ECO TEC engine By General Motors YES!!! that's right by GM!!!! and trans, 5sp 175 H.P. 165 ft/lbs torque 1700 Lbs trike, The Slingshot.

That trike is really making me want one, and i may have one.

Link to the SLINGSHOT!!!

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot#ride

======

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Since the ECO TEC Engine/Trans is made by GM or General Motors, for at least 10 years there are plenty of them out there on the road.

And Lots of parts available for the Eco Tec line of engine/trans.

175h.p. engine, 168 Ft Lbs of torque in a 1700 Lbs trike, 9.71 lbs/H.P power to weight ratio, better than the stock Burgman 650.

11.5" seat height, and 5" ground clearance, NICE!!!!

I been wanting to get another new Miata, i may wait for the SLINGSHOT instead.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
It's an automobile with one rear wheel. Please start a new forum to discuss.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It's an automobile with one rear wheel. Please start a new forum to discuss.
LoL - that's not technically true. DMV mandates that, if it has fewer than four wheels, it's a motorcycle.

Hope you get your dream machine, westgl!

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
It's not a motorcycle. It's a snowmobile with wheels. DMV better get up to date.

Regards
Scott Fraser
No, that's the Can-Am (BRP) Spyder. Different snow-machine company.

This is a modernized take on the Morgan Three-Wheeler. If you simply must deride it, it's an overgrown go-kart with a missing wheel.

As far as the legal stuff goes, it's enough of a motorcycle to require a helmet and go 1-up in a carpool lane, but I think it fits California's licensing loophole (that applies to the Can-Am Spyder and the Piaggio MP3) that eliminates the need for a full motorcycle endorsement.

·
Registered
205 Posts
OK that is bad a$$
I want one now!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I think Polaris may have a winner here. But mostly due to price... $20k that's fantastic. When you compare it to high end MCs or trikes or even Polaris' own Can AM, 20k is cheap.

"But you can get a car for that much"... Doesn't matter. This vehicle is impractical and thus falls into the "recreational" vehicle category, where mere mortal cars don't exist. In fact people will pay a lot of money NOT to live in the practical, and this seems a good outlet. Its a way for those too chicken sh1t to ride a MC to get their yayas out.

So be prepared boys and girls for more back road traffic once these start flying off the shelf.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
SLINGSHOT plus 12 months: Well that was fun, now what do you want to do?

SLINGSHOT plus 14 months: 2015 SLINGSHOT, low miles, dealer maintained, garaged, really cherry - $9895 obo.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Here in WV, and in some other states, they are working on creating a category called an "autotrike". The WV bill--passed the Senate last time but died in committee in the House--defined it as having a roll-cage, a steering wheel, a windshield with a wiper, and a few other features--and said that such a vehicle did NOT require a helmet or a motorcycle license. The above vehicle would not qualify, but the Elio certainly would.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
E

SLINGSHOT plus 12 months: Well that was fun, now what do you want to do?

SLINGSHOT plus 14 months: 2015 SLINGSHOT, low miles, dealer maintained, garaged, really cherry - $9895 obo.
That's hilarious, but probably very true. They wouldn't make a very good daily driver.

Fortunately you've also described over half of new MC / Scooter buyers too. Which is why we seasoned riders rarely buy new. There will always be someone more than willing to scrub off the dealer sticker price and sell it two years later for half.

So Jeff makes a good point guys... Wait a couple years, you'll get these things for half, if not less. That is... IF you want one.

Just like Can Ams, I don't "get" them personally. I'd rather be on a bike. But to each their own.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
......................This is a modernized take on the Morgan Three-Wheeler...............................
So what do you regard the current Morgan three-wheeler as then?

Just curious.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I've never ssen the attraction of Trikes myself.

I just see it as the worst of both worlds.
You have a wider vehicle that you can't lean into the turns, so losing a lot of the "fun" factor of a motorcycle, but you are still out in the elements, with no A/C, and limited storage.

For those who want to ride, but have physical limitations, I can see a purpose, it can fill the "next best thing" role, but as a first choice, I don't see it.....I'd rather have two $10K bikes, or a $20k car.

But for those that do, I wish them well, and hope they get as much joy from it as I do from my Burgmans.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Can't say I really get the appeal of these style of machines (reverse trikes). They are slightly lighter, simpler, and less expensive than a 4-wheeler but they get few of the advantages of a either a 2-wheeler or 4-wheeler.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have fun on this or on Campagna's T-Rex. But these don't lean, too wide to split lanes, have too much mass (versus a bike), and hit every road irregularity (3-track vehicle). Yet they don't have the stability of a 4-wheeler. Give me an Ariel Atom, KTM X-Bow, Lotus Elise or something similar.

If you gave me one I'd hoon all over town on it wearing a big goofy smile but I can't see actually buying one.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I currently have 7 motorcycles.

The Slingshot will not replace a motorcycle, it is not designed to.

I wanted another Miata, But the miata I had was 2600 lbs and 160 H.P. and the Torque was kind of low.

The Slingshot 175 H.P. and 168 ft/lb torque in a >1700lbs vehicle

Power to weight ratio,

Miata 16.25 Lbs/ H.P.

650 Burgman 11.35 Lbs/H.P.

Slingshot 9.6 Lbs/H.P.

All Most any vehicle sub 10 lbs/H.P. is going to be good, to a limit of weight.

I will have a New Slingshot, I may wait and buy second year after the on road beta testing is finished and all the bugs and fixes are done.

My Miata could do some power on drifting.

But the slingshot looks like it can do it a lot better.

=====

·
Registered
207 Posts
The Miata is light on power.

This has the power-to-weight ratio of a middle-of-the-pack muscular car these days. Double both weight and HP, call it 3400 lbs and 350 HP. Sounds pretty close to, though not quite as good as, a base Nissan 370Z (wiki says 3232 lbs & 332 HP).

The Slingshot will suffer even more in comparison when you add the weight of a driver (and passenger) and the more limited traction of a single tire. But hey, have fun with it. If my garage already had all the other sort of vehicles I want then maybe something like this would find a place in it. Seven bikes?! I do like the cut of your jib!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The Nissan Info you gave,

3232 Lbs divided by 332h.p. = 9.73 Lbs /H.P. for the Nissan per your weight and H.P. info.

So the Nissan 370 does NOT Have as Good of a power to weight ratio as the Slingshot does.

Slingshot 9.6 Lbs/H.P.

In power to weight, the Lighter the better.

While it is true there is not much of a difference, but!, the difference does go in favor of the Slingshot.

One thing comes into the power to weight ratio that can change the out come and that is multiplying torque or Gear ratio.

Gear ratio can make a big difference, in straight line performance at a penalty of MPG.

I would rather have a lighter vehicle sub 2000 lbs as they are much more lively, and Fun and feel more balanced, with less inertial tendencies to push wider when coming in a little hot into a corner.

The Miata is light on power.

This has the power-to-weight ratio of a middle-of-the-pack muscular car these days. Double both weight and HP, call it 3400 lbs and 350 HP. Sounds pretty close to, though not quite as good as, a base Nissan 370Z (wiki says 3232 lbs & 332 HP).

The Slingshot will suffer even more in comparison when you add the weight of a driver (and passenger) and the more limited traction of a single tire. But hey, have fun with it. If my garage already had all the other sort of vehicles I want then maybe something like this would find a place in it. Seven bikes?! I do like the cut of your jib!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
With those numbers it should be plenty fast! It would be really cool to have a sequential gearbox. Safer then a bike, easily survive a deer strike around here, and, mumma loves it and she has the coin, lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts