Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, glad to be back. I had some lean times economically during which Paula, my non-running '03 400, sat. I couldn't afford to fix her.

I was blessed in December to land a wonderful work-from-home/anywhere job (software tech support), and at last I am getting around to buying a 650! :D

I found a sweet deal on an '09 Exec in Asheville craigslist: $4200, excellent condition, at a dealer. That's too far for me to go, but my brother lives near Asheville, so I asked him to go look at it.

Too late, unfortunately. :( I should have called and put a deposit on it with my card. Oh well, so I guess it was not meant to be.

There were about 4 '03 650s for sale within about 2 hours (everything is at least two hours from here, BTW.) One of them had sold, and then I noticed that another one had dropped the price decently. I emailed him last night, talked to him today, and on Thursday, if all works out, I'll have a silver '03 650! :cheers:

So some of the fall will be in the saddle! I'm sure looking forward to riding again. And it's great to be back!

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
Welcome to the big league. :twisted: I think my 2003 was faster and got better mileage than my 1st 2008.

Get the VIN and call your local dealer and have them run the VIN for the 2003 650 recalls. If you find it a bit too noisy, order the polish adapter. We have 1000's of mods to do on the 650's.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... and at last I am getting around to buying a 650! :D
Done; now the proud second owner of a silver 2003 AN650.

Haha, I always wondered about this "diesel" sound I have read about in these forums. Now I know. It doesn't bother me, kind of cute, actually.

Very nice ride. I didn't get to compare her with Paula (2003 AN400) directly, but I felt that bumps were handled more smoothly. I don't recall any feeling of inadequacy of power in the 385 engine, but wow, 638 sure gets up and goes when you tell it to.

Unfortunately I didn't get to ride any superslab or other road where I could try some real speed. I might have briefly gotten up to 70MPH or so, maximum. I don't know actual speed because: 1. No GPS mount (that will be one of the first addons); and 2. Speedometer reads in km/h!

Re: #2 I am sure there is an easy way to switch it, but I haven't searched yet.

One gripe: I like the 400's old-style analog instrument panel. The digital stuff is not ideal. I'll get used to it, but sometimes I wish these bike manufacturers would stick with simple and functional things, avoid the "gee whiz".

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
You'll get use to the gauges on the 650 over the 400, give it time. Oh & welcome back!

·
Registered
256 Posts
"E Komo Mai" - Welcome back! Aloha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts