Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally finished “Big Blue”.

This was a 2003 650 I picked up last year for $500 as a project. She was ridden hard and sorely neglected.

Brake rotors were cracked, wheel bearings were completely shot and the scoot kinda drifted when leaning into corners cause the wheels wobbled a little. Such fun.

Brake pads all rusty and the whole scoot shuddered when braking (did I mention cracked rotors).

Seat had a few tears but nothing major. Rear tail piece missing.

All the black vinyl had faded to white ( the worst I’d ever seen).

The instrument gauge cover was horribly scratched. All the bolts for changing oil were frozen (previous owner had used the special “drift wrench” to loosen the bolts for the final drive. Nice touch, lol)

The rims were encrusted with what may have been concrete or something equally as hard (oh, joy).

Windshield was cracked in several places and professionally repaired with some sort of duct tape (lol).

And of course, both tires were flat when I inspected the Burgie.

Yup, I bought it and rode it home. What was I thinking?

·
Premium Member
17,341 Posts
lookin great! also Iam sure you have a lot of pride from bringing her back, so what's her future now?

·
Registered
260 Posts
So 500, but what does stand you at now? Great job, tell me you didn't repair that speedo screen. If you did how did you polish the scratches out.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Wow. Obviously ridden where there was no vehicle inspections. Did the previous owner add any oil or change it?

·
Registered
204 Posts
He must've changed final drive oil, or at least attempted to, just look at the way he removed the plugs, by smacking a wedge into it with a screwdriver. I hope the previous owner never drives another Burgman.

Incidentally, your name ZMAN reminds me of a Suzuki dealer and former bike racer in South Africa. His business is called ZEEMAN SUZUKI.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lookin great! also Iam sure you have a lot of pride from bringing her back, so what's her future now?
Going to keep this one for a while. I know the work that’s been done and I know it’s done right. In another 7 years, it’ll be a classic, lol. Only 37K kms and seems mechanically sound. I also like the look with the white wheels and red calipers. Ride it ‘til I die (of old age).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So 500, but what does stand you at now? Great job, tell me you didn't repair that speedo screen. If you did how did you polish the scratches out.
Hi cooperman, I’m probably into it for another $1200-$1500. And labor of course but tinkering with these projects is my hobby. Done lots of brakes but never did wheel bearings before so a chance to learn. Yes, I did polish out the speedo screen. Remove screen from scooter. Wet sand with 600, 1000, then 2000. Polish with finishing polish with a polisher (I use a Porter Cable 7424, I think it is). Total time little less than an hour.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It looks great Zman. I had to chuckle when I read you rode it home. You're a better man than me.

Reactions: Zman

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
fantabulous color and bravo for the restoration. how many miles?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can you ntell how did you manage to heal the dashboard?Mine is also heavily scratched, sometimes pretty deeply, but hopefully there are no cracks

·
Registered
260 Posts
He already said.

"Remove screen from scooter. Wet sand with 600, 1000, then 2000. Polish with finishing polish with a polisher (I use a Porter Cable 7424, I think it is). Total time little less than an hour."

·
Registered
31 Posts
He already said.

"Remove screen from scooter. Wet sand with 600, 1000, then 2000. Polish with finishing polish with a polisher (I use a Porter Cable 7424, I think it is). Total time little less than an hour."
is it hard to dismount the dash? And is it sealed/glued?

·
Registered
31 Posts
And how did you heal the whitened plastic?

·
Premium Member
17,341 Posts
once you have it clean and shiney, NEVER touch it again, a layer of dust dirt and grime will build up on it and protect it from abrasive stuff, but , those scratches and swirls build into that layer of grime, so the first time you break the dirt seal, the damage immediately flows thru and gets on the screen

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
is it hard to dismount the dash? And is it sealed/glued?
Hi Iluhis, the dash screen is held in place with 7 or 8 small screws around the outside edge. Can’t recall if you need to remove any of the black plastic dash pieces to get access but if so, they just have screws.

Once you remove the screen, pop out the little black rubber buttons so you have a flat surface. Wet sand with 600 wet/dry sandpaper using warm soapy water. Be sure to use a sanding block and not just your fingers. Sand only in straight lines in one direction then sand perpendicular. Do not sand in circles. Sand until you can’t see any large scratches. The 600 grit will scratch the surface but you want it to be uniform across the surface. Then do the same with 1000, then 2000 grit.

Once sanded, use a polish ( I use Poor Boys but there are several brands like Mequires, Mothers, Klass, chemical Guys). Polishing can be done by hand but it’s so much easier to use a polisher with the correct pad.

then reassemble and you’re done. Let us know how you make out or if you have any problems.

cheers, Zman

1 - 20 of 24 Posts