Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I installed a Stebel air horn on my 650. This morning on the way to work I had a pickup pull out from a side street on my left and pull into my lane heading the same direction I was. I saw him make the move to pull out in time for me to swing over into the bicycle lane and go past him but I gave him a pretty good blast of the airhorn as I passed. I could see it rattled the driver with him looking to see where the horn was coming from. After passing I got to thinking, maybe blasting the horn wasn't the smartest thing. Being it startled the driver, he could have gone for the shoulder of the road and took me out or made some other drastic move. As it was, I blew the horn as more of an automatic reflex.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Oh, I don't know if you did anything wrong. I guess that I would have done the same thing.

Quite a few years ago I installed some cheapo plastic air horns that I got at Pep Boys behind the body panels on my Honda PC800. Mounted the compressor under the passenger seat and ran one trumpet under my left crash bar and the other under my right crash bar. With the bodywork back on they were out of sight.

But not out of mind! Heading down the freeway one day shortly after the install I was coming up on a minivan and could see the driver look in his left mirror. Not seeing a car (of course! I was on a motorcycle!) he started heading over to my lane. I quickly laid on those air horns and he whipped that van back over so fast I though that he was going to lose control for a second. I guess that he thought a Peterbuilt was coming down on him.

Anyway, that was the first time that my air horns saved my bacon and it wasn't the last either. My current Burgman has an aftermarket horn that might not be quite as loud as my air horns are, but they are as loud as most automotive horns are and that means that they are a lot better than the OEM one is.

Loud pipes may not save lives but loud horns sure will.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'm not so sure that blowing the horn is always the best thing to do. I used to blow my horn most any time I felt someone did wrong. One time a woman in an oversized suv made a U-turn in front of me. I hit the brakes and the horn at the same time thinking she would stay in the left lane (I was in the center lane) instead she came into the center lane and hit her brakes looking all around. I barely missed her and I think I would have been better off if I would have just slowed down and let her just drive on oblivious to me. :mad:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just remembered back to the days I was in law enforcement. Running to an emergency, many times I could get there without sirens due to the same reason. Drivers get confused and go where you don't want them to go, usually blocking the road.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm not so sure that blowing the horn is always the best thing to do. I used to blow my horn most any time I felt someone did wrong. One time a woman in an oversized suv made a U-turn in front of me. I hit the brakes and the horn at the same time thinking she would stay in the left lane (I was in the center lane) instead she came into the center lane and hit her brakes looking all around. I barely missed her and I think I would have been better off if I would have just slowed down and let her just drive on oblivious to me. :mad:
I agree. By the time someone hears your horn and reacts, the danger has passed or made worse. It's as effective as the "Loud pipes save lives" garbage you hear from Harley riders.

I use my horn to get the attention of friends and neighbors so I can wave at them.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I never use the horn in the states. We tend to take offense too easily.

In Greece, where I spent a lot of time, honking a horn is used to inform another vehicle. If a car is behind you and honks, it usually means he going to pass you. The horn is a simple courtesy and is used more often for that kind of thing without people taking offense. -- at least as often.

John

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Traveling around Europe one realizes that the horn can be a good tool to use in many situations. Unfortunately us Mericans just don't get it and usually take offense to it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The horn is meant to alert drivers to prevent a bad outcome. Blowing your horn after the fact to register your displeasure (even if it's justified) is not appropriate (or even legal in CA., below). That's what middle fingers are for.

C Section 27001 Use of Horns

Use of Horns

27001. (a) The driver of a motor vehicle when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation shall give audible warning with his horn.

(b) The horn shall not otherwise be used, except as a theft alarm system which operates as specified in Article 13 (commencing with Section 28085) of this chapter.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
over here, the horn must by used only to prevent accidents, if you get pulled over and the policeman wants to give you a ticket, there is no way out, but its commonly misused to push the driver in front of you, in traffic, and when the national team wins! see here:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Only time I used the horn is to check it works for the annual
MOT test, when things go bad I am much to busy doing other
things to save the situation to bugger about making noise.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I sometimes use my horn when it appears that other drivers may be about to pull out in front of me and I am not sure they see me. When the horn beeps they make eye contact and I am assured that they have seen me. I would rather annoy a car driver than put my life at risk.

·
Registered
375 Posts
over here, the horn must by used only to prevent accidents, if you get pulled over and the policeman wants to give you a ticket, there is no way out, but its commonly misused to push the driver in front of you, in traffic, and when the national team wins! see here:

Suzuki Burgman 400 - Daily Observations - Chile 2 España 0 - YouTube
When I was in Peru, my landlady in Cusco said that people will buy a car without lights, but never without a horn.

Minnesota is the land of passive-aggressive behavior. All the Swedes, Germans, Fins & Norwegians wouldn't dream of honking unless they were really frustrated.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I never hesitate to use my Wolo Bad Boy if a driver infringes on my safety. Occasionally they'll get a toot, toot with it, but for the most part, if my safety is at stake, I don't take my finger off until they figure it out.
I've never had anbody (to this point anyway) do something stupid because I honked my horn (well, other than throw their cell phone and/or their coffee cup)!

·
Registered
71 Posts
My used Burgman 650 came with loud aftermarket horns. I have used them at least 5 times in the past year to prevent a car driver from pulling into my lane on 4 lane roads. Most OEM motorcycle horns are more like an apology , like you don't want to "surprise" the driver that is getting ready to force you from your lane. I normally don't use the horn to show anger towards another driver , so when I do use it, it is to protect myself . It is one of the best things I have on the scoot .

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I don't even know if my horn works - I simply never use it, preferring to just dodge out of the way rather than to inform the other driver that s/he is being a douchebag. I just assume that their need for skittering quickly down the road is greater than mine. I'm at that age when I am simply not in a hurry anymore.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I sometimes wish I could mount a locomotive horn on my Burgman...

·
Registered
438 Posts
I sometimes wish I could mount a locomotive horn on my Burgman...
They take too much air. I've looked into it.

I have air horns on my cruisers. They look nice, but don't perform as well as an electric horn, mainly because the compressors are too feeble to put out much pressure. They is also a delay which I find unnerving. Sometimes when I use my horn, I'm in near-panic mode and I want noise NOW!

Instead, I mounted a pair of FIAMM "Freeway Blaster" horns. They are cheap and loud, a perfect combination of attributes. They are wired through a fused power block run from the battery with a 12V relay triggered by the horn switch. One is mounted where the OEM horn was, the other inside the tupperware on the LHS. They are LOUD!

Do they work? You bet. Shortly after I installed them, I was motoring along one of Calgary's arterial roads. I was watching as I came up on a car in the right lane, saw him start to move into my lane and gave him a short blast of the horn. I love it! It sounds like a Mack truck! He thought so too. He gave a start, moved back in his lane and then looked around. ONLY THEN did he see me. Idiot Calgary drivers...

I like my horn.

Ride Safe
Scott Fraser
Calgary

1 - 17 of 17 Posts