Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm usually pretty good with software, but I've never warmed up to Google Maps. I just isn't intuitive to me.

"Map may be edited by anyone with access. BEFORE ADDING A POINT, BE SURE TO CLICK ON THE RESPECTIVE LAYER IN THE TABLE, BELOW."

WHERE is this "respective layer"? I see no table below other than the few entries that S-Maniac, MacDoc, etc have added. I'd expect to see icons identifying the type of entry to be made ("House" icon for member layer, "Moto" icon for place/road of interest, etc).

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'm usually pretty good with software, but I've never warmed up to Google Maps. I just isn't intuitive to me.

"Map may be edited by anyone with access. BEFORE ADDING A POINT, BE SURE TO CLICK ON THE RESPECTIVE LAYER IN THE TABLE, BELOW."

WHERE is this "respective layer"? I see no table below other than the few entries that S-Maniac, MacDoc, etc have added. I'd expect to see icons identifying the type of entry to be made ("House" icon for member layer, "Moto" icon for place/road of interest, etc).
Jeff - I was/am the same way and am still figuring out some things. You'll note the entries you mentioned are each associated under one of three bold type faced titles. Clicking on one of those titles makes that layer active. When you use the search box and select one of the search hits, a marker appears on the map. Click on it and hit "Add to map". Click on it again and then the edit symbol to add information. When finished, hit "Save". Back over where the item appears in the box to the left, hover over it and a paint can symbol appears. Clicking on that brings the opportunity to change the symbol and/or color. I have been using (and changing others' entries as appropriate) a yellow house for a Travel Stop, blue motorcycle (we'll pretend it's a scooter ;)) for a Recommended Place and, a gold, lowercase, italicized "i" for Road/Route information.

To delete an item, right-click its symbol on the map and select "Delete". Tell me whether this helps. Maybe the sticky post needs to be updated with some instructions. Do you think that would do it?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gracias! I've give it a go tomorrow when I've got some time to noodle around with it. Great idea, btw. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Travel Stops map directions

I've added directions on how to add points on the Travel Stops map. The only caveat is that, a person must have a Google account to edit the map (but, not to access and view it. A Google account is no big deal. While it establishes you a new mail box, I totally ignore mine and just use the account for stuff like this and, while spam may be accumulating there, it doesn't matter since I don't access it.

So far, there are only a few Travel Stops, Points of Interest and Route/Road Comments entered. I ask that anyone who would allow BUSA travelers a place to overnight, whether it be a couch, spare bedroom or, a yard to pitch a tent, to add it to the map. You don't have to enter a specific address. You can mark the general area and, by just including your BUSA name allow others to PM you to get permission and make arrangements. I also ask that EACH member add at least one Point of Interest. Together, we can make this a useful tool but, only with all the input we can get.

HINT: Bookmark the map to make it quicker to access.

Thanks,
Scooter_Maniac

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Fellow scooterers-
With another riding season coming up, it would be great if we could establish a nationwide network of Travel Stops so, members and fellow riders could travel around with lots of opportunities to save on hotel cost while also meeting others of a like mind. I invite everyone willing, to add their home as a Travel Stop on the Travel Stops map. Wouldn't it be cool to cover much of the nation with stops no greater than 200-300 miles apart. What an awesome way to take a trip this would be!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I gave up on new google maps. The old one was great. The new one, with its layers, not so much.

I’ve switched to www.furkot.com. Fairly straight forward, like old google maps, with the added benefit of creating and downloading GPX files directly on to your gps.

Lmk if you need some instruction. There’s a few tricks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts