Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!! My son and I just recently did the 600 mile service on his 05 Burgman 650. When we were finished, we tried to reset the oil change indicator to 2500 miles. We did it exactly as the owners manual instructs you to do and it would not reset. We tried several times. We did everything but sacrafice a live chicken and still couldn't get it to reset.
Anybody else have this problem? Any ideas what could be wrong? We aren't rocket scientists but we aren't idiots either. It just won't work.

Buzz

·
Registered
319 Posts
Buzz,

Had trouble re-seting mine after the 600 mi service also. Followed the instructions, but it wasn't happening, then for about the 10th reading of the bible, noticed another step just to the right of the press and hold bit for 2 seconds. Tried that and it worked.

Yupper

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
The link Bill posted should cover everything, but just for additional info here; there is a difference between changing the "Interval" between oil change recommendations, and resetting the indicator after a change.

I don't know why you would want to change the interval from every 3,500 miles to every 2,500 miles (if that's what you wanted to do).

If you just want to turn off the indicator:

A) Turn the ignition off
B) Press and hold both the Select and the Reset buttons
C) Turn ignition on
D) Wait for "Oil Change" indicator to flash or go out, then release buttons.

HTH.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because I'm a work-a-holic, 85% of my riding is back and forth to work and city riding. I am more comfortable getting my oil changed a bit more frequently. Changing my own oil, what am I out, maybe an extra $25 a year changing it at 2500 miles. It's worth it to me.
I have been reading these posts and we have tried everything suggested, but it still will not reset.
I'm taking it back to the dealer Saturday as I want to do some looking at grips and order a top case mount for the Burgman. I have ordered one of the VIP luxury top cases with spoiler and lights, the same as Seatec has, only in blue. Hope mine looks as good as his does.
I'll let the forum know what the shop does to reset the indicator.

Buzz

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Buzz said:
...I am more comfortable getting my oil changed a bit more frequently.

...I have been reading these posts and we have tried everything suggested, but it still will not reset.
I hope this will work.

First, you can't change the interval until after the 650 has reached the 600 mile mark, and the Oil Change indicator has come on and been reset. (See post above for how to do that; the Owner's Manual, on page 19 column 2, incorrectly lists that part as "To change preset interval" when it should say "To reset Change Oil indicator.")

Next look for the section in the Owner's Manual that says "To preset oil change interval." (Page 19 column 1.) Insert the words "change the" so it correctly reads "To change the preset oil change interval."

The bullet points in the note at the top of page 19 column 1 shouldn't be together. The first point, "The interval can be can be adjusted..." goes with the steps for changing the interval, and the next two points -- both starting with "Reset the indicator..." -- go with (obviously) resetting the indicator after an oil change.

(I think Suzuki needs to hire an English speaking proof-reader.)

For any who don't have a manual, here are the steps for changing the interval:

A) With ignition on, simultaneously press and hold the Select and Reset buttons until "Interval" appears on the screen, then release.

B-1) Push the Select button to reduce the interval. Each press will reduce it by 300 miles (3600, 3300, 3000, 2700, 2400, etc.)

B-2) Push the Reset button to increase the interval, again in 300 mile steps.

C) Press and hold the Select and Reset buttons until "Interval" goes out.

The interval should now be changed.

HTH.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts