Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Report: Valves Checked @ 6200 Miles

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  ajwood 
#1 ·
Two of us checked the valves today on my K4 and they were SPOT ON! Intakes were at .005in....right where I set them at 600 miles; Exhaust was at .008in.....where they were at 600 miles.

For me, this confirmed the need for the 600 mile adjustment as that is where my intakes had tightened to the minimum of .002. Its good to know theres been no further tightening since then, and strongly suggests a much longer period before having to check them again.

The exhausts have never changed one bit.

Took both of us 3 hours, without taking the trunk out. Cleaned and reoiled the air filter, and cleaned the dust off the belt drive filter.

#4 ·
Norm, if I had to take pics it would have taken us 5 hours to do the job! Besides, valve checking has become old hat by now! Course I won't tell how many of the the little pushie-pully black things I buggered up!

#7 ·
ted clement said:
Norm, if I had to take pics it would have taken us 5 hours to do the job! Besides, valve checking has become old hat by now! Course I won't tell how many of the the little pushie-pully black things I buggered up!
Bugger community spirit then?! :wink: :lol:

#8 ·
Easy there Norman... (And I do assume from your emoticons that your statement wasn't all bite...) The guys that take the time to capture their maintenance activities in pictures do provide us with a great resource. However, I have aligned with Ted on the stuff I've done. I tend to want to get the job done - and don't really think about grabbing the camera until it is all done. I have put up verbal descriptions of various processes though.

We've got to go with what folks are willing to do. My thanks to guys like you, Allwalk, and others who have provided pictures. But we don't want to slight the folks who don't to do that. All input, whether verbal or pictorial is valued.

#9 ·
Paul, I know Norm is just pulling my leg. British humor, you know. :p 8)

Norm, I've had a digital camera for a couple of years but have never learned how to download the pics. I stick to my 35mm point and shoot and let the drug store do the developing. But, actually, I don't see that much could be learned about valve adj from do it yourself pics that is not already in the service manual. Unless its how to get the little black thingies out properly. By the way guys and girls...Lowes has a good assortment of those things and you can fiind some that work well enuf for about 67-87 cents for two. But if you live in England there will be a slight mailing fee of $10. :lol:

#10 ·
ted clement said:
Paul, I know Norm is just pulling my leg. British humor, you know. :p 8)

By the way guys and girls...Lowes has a good assortment of those things and you can fiind some that work well enuf for about 67-87 cents for two. But if you live in England there will be a slight mailing fee of $10. :lol:
Hi Ted

You got it! :lol:

I have been trying to source these, this side of the pond without success. I broke one when I was an 'undergraduate tupperware oragamist' and would like to replace it and maybe buy a spare but without donating a vital organ to the dealer! :) :wink:

#11 ·
Norm, if you'd like, I can mail you several. Shouldn't be any import tax or such on such a small bit. Email me off line with your address if you want some. I found one that works particularly well on those little ones we have that look like a Philips screw; this one actually does screw in, just that its made of black nylon. Haven't rooted around in thier box to see what works best on the more common larger ones we have, but sure I can find something.

#12 ·
Hi Ted

That is so very kind of you to offer. :) It s very much appreciated.

Ye Olde Burger does not have that type with the phillips screw thingamajig (I know they type you mean because some of the interior trim on my Merc has those).

Mine are all the larger type either the press in the pin slightly to remove, or I have a couple of the raise the centre pin a tadge prior to removal.

I can only find an image of the former:

I really would like to find a UK source - I could then share that with those on this side of the pond. :)
Thanks once again m8! :wink:

#13 ·
Norm, maybe they changed the smaller ones later, but just out of curiosity, take a look at the rear most "rivet" on the left lower panel. This is the one that has some sort of phillips head on it and is smaller than the others. Also theres one of these up on the front lower end somewhere...forget exactly where.

Anyway, the offer stands if you can't locate a source on your side of the pond.

#14 ·
The Phillips head black clip is above the ignition key at the underside of
the top.

If you don't push the inner part in too far, it will less likely jam.
When some of my burgy's clips jam, I try to reach into the bike to push
the pin back out without prying.

Large (pin & grommet) clip part number: 09409-08308-5ES .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.