Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my EOS mounts on July 4th, 2013 and promptly mounted them. I reported at the time that they seemed somewhat flimsy to me but I thought they would carry my Givi E41 cases okay. I am reporting that they do carry my E41's without me fearing that they are going to come off so far but have found something that concerns me about them. On the lower side of the bike (the left side when viewed from the rear) when it is on the side stand, my Givi bag seems to be bending the bracket away from the bike. A warp if you will to the bracket. It is kind of hard to see in the picture I took but if you look closely at the front of the bag and the bracket you can see what I am talking about. The bracket has bent and the Givi case has space between it and the bracket at the front (the point of the bracket closet to the viewer on the picture).

It is only on the one side of the bike that I am seeing this. I expect that the Givi bag's weight is causing this. I keep gloves and my seat pad along with my sheep skin and a couple of 500cc water bottles in this bag so the weight of the contents of this bag isn't much of a factor in this, it is the weight of the Givi bag/case itself that is causing this IMHO. I think to correct this problem I am going to have to reinforce the top bar on the rack. I think at this time, I will pick up a piece of right angle aluminum and screw it to the top rail of the bracket on the inside to give it the needed strength. I know that some of you are mounting Kappa 22's to the EOS mounts so I don't expect that you will see what I am seeing as they weigh a lot less than the E41's. I am seeing no bending of the bracket on the other side of the bike as the Givi on that bag isn't hanging from the bracket when the bike is on the side stand. It is pushing the bracket on that side toward the bike so no problem with it.

As I told you all when I got my EOS brackets, I am letting you know how my brackets are doing over time. If I had the purchase to do over again, I don't think I would have made this investment. Hopefully I can reinforce this bracket so that it will work for me.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picked up the angled aluminum stock today to make the stiffener for the rack. Couldn't source the needed M4 70mm screws and nylock nuts at Lowes where I was at to buy the aluminum stock. Customer service sucks at the Lowes where I shop. Asked one of the guys working in the department (he was putting out stock) and he was rude to me. Told me "what you see is what we got" and waved his hand toward the screw and bolt section. In disgust, I just took the piece of aluminum stock I had already picked out and went and checked out. I hear there are a lot of people looking for work, how come Lowes doesn't fire the people with bad attitudes and let some of the people looking for work find work there?

Guess I will make a trip to Diamond Screw tomorrow. Besides, it is too hot to be working on the bike today anyway.

Puzzled,
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Sorry to hear Doug, sure hope the reinforcing goes well. It almost looks to me like the wind could be catching the bag and pulling it away from the bike but that shouldn't happen. I'd be curious as to how much the bag weighs with your contents.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear Doug, sure hope the reinforcing goes well. It almost looks to me like the wind could be catching the bag and pulling it away from the bike but that shouldn't happen. I'd be curious as to how much the bag weighs with your contents.
If it was/is the wind, I would think it would happen to both sides. It is only on the one side. If I get the chance tomarrow, I will weigh the bag both empty and with my usual contents and report back here. I have a nice digital scale that will allow me to do this.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bag weighs 9.4 pounds empty and 15.4 pounds with my normal load in it.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
that looks like an improper mount attempt to me, the opposite mushroom not being fully engaged and one pushes hard on one side to slide the bag into place.

are you experiencing the same on the other side.

I would take the mount off, straighten it and make sure it is flush with the back of your bag. Use a small plastic bumper at the top if you have nay play in there.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
If none of the above produces a result you could always stiffen the whole lot with some 4mm aluminium plate.;)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check the back side of the case for marks Doug. Someone may have tried to leaver the case off and in doing so bent the rack?
The case has marks on the back. I think you might have hit the nail on the head here Kiwi Dave. It looks as if someone has been trying to get my case off the rack. Maybe while I was parked somewhere. Never even thought of this, I guess I am too easy of a mark. No way that I can think of to prevent this kind of thing happening. And no use in filing a police report as I don't know where or when it happened. I have bent the rack back (almost) like it is supposed to be. Remounted the bag checking to make sure the bobbins (mushrooms as you guys call them) are sliding in and out of the cases easily. I do think I am still going to reinforce the tops of the racks as I was talking about before. I owe you Kiwi Dave, first beer is on me if you ever come to Kentucky (or me to where you live in Australia) - thanks friend.

And a big thank-you to the rest of you for the ideas. I was too quick to blame the racks themselves.

Mea Culpa,
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
The case has marks on the back. I think you might have hit the nail on the head here Kiwi Dave. It looks as if someone has been trying to get my case off the rack.

I owe you Kiwi Dave, first beer is on me if you ever come to Kentucky (or me to where you live in Australia) - thanks friend.
That sucks, they should be beat.

Kiwi is the nickname (from the flightless bird of New Zealand) used for people from New Zealand.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That sucks, they should be beat.

Kiwi is the nickname (from the flightless bird of New Zealand) used for people from New Zealand.
I am familiar with what a Kiwi is. It is also a fruit by the way. I got lucky when my uncle gave me an all expense paid vacation in south-east Asia back in the early 70's. While I was there I also got to take 14 days off and actually visit Australia and New Zealand. I loved both places even though I wasn't so crazy about the place where I spent the rest of my free vacation (Vietnam).

<grin>
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I am familiar with what a Kiwi is. It is also a fruit by the way. I got lucky when my uncle gave me an all expense paid vacation in south-east Asia back in the early 70's. While I was there I also got to take 14 days off and actually visit Australia and New Zealand. I loved both places even though I wasn't so crazy about the place where I spent the rest of my free vacation (Vietnam).
Reason I said was because some Kiwi's might be insulted being refered to as Aussie's and visa versa or so I've been told. I've never been to either place but it would be nice. My father spent some time in that other place. :D

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Reason I said was because some Kiwi's might be insulted being refered to as Aussie's and visa versa or so I've been told. I've never been to either place but it would be nice. My father spent some time in that other place. :D
Kiwis and Aussies actually do like each other but when it comes to sport we fight like ****. However if you have Kiwis, Aussies and South Africans together and the chips are down then they will back each other big time. I think it dates back to 1916, world war one when our men were cannon fodder.http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/war/the-battle-of-the-somme

Here is where I live so if you ever come this way give me a Buzz.
http://www.whakatane.com/

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did I call Kiwi Dave an Aussi? I am sorry. I do know the difference. I meant no insult or slight Dave.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kiwis and Aussies actually do like each other but when it comes to sport we fight like ****. However if you have Kiwis, Aussies and South Africans together and the chips are down then they will back each other big time. I think it dates back to 1916, world war one when our men were cannon fodder.http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/war/the-battle-of-the-somme

Here is where I live so if you ever come this way give me a Buzz.
http://www.whakatane.com/
I will do so if I ever get over in that part of the world. I would love to see more than Christchurch should I get that way again as that is the only part of New Zealand I got to see when I was there.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Christchurch suffered very badly in the recent earthquake.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts