Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm planning on replacing the headlights with a more reliable LED setup. While I have the plastic off,* I would like to get the two position lights (I believe they're called) working again. They didn't last very long. Has anyone ever explored them? I'm hoping I can replace the burned-out bulbs with an LED. I know I can buy replacement parts,but at around $65 a piece, I have no urge to lighten my wallet by almost $150 (inc. tax).

I've checked almost 400 posts after a "position lights 650" query so either there's not much/nothing on here or my query was really, really bad.

Thanks - I'm hoping to deal with this this week.

* I've got some custom wiring under the front cover so it's quite a delicate operation to unplug all the connectors, thus my desire to get this all done at one time.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,062 Posts
Top of the day @happytech
I am surprised someone has not had an answer to your question yet. On my bike (2017) those lights are still working. I have not yet had to replace a headlight bulb but if I had to remove much plastic at all, I would be installing LED bulbs. Give it a bit more time and maybe someone has experienced this before and can chime in on your question.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I don't think I've made myself clear.

It's not the headlights I'm talking about. It's the little lights that are below the headlights - they're called positioning lights.

I want to replace the bulbs in them (if I can) when I pull the front end next week to try a more correct set of LED headlights. The ones I have are a few years old and not at all shaped like the Halogen bulbs they replace. You can see me but I can't see that far down the road.

I'll know when I pull the front end off if I can replace the bulbs or not. If not, then they stay as they are - burned out. I'm not spending $150 for a couple of replacements. They're not required in this country (most likely European) and yes, my bike is the correct model for the USA. Ideally I'd like to find some blue LEDs that would work.

Either way, I'll post my results after I get them replaced, or if I don't get them replaced.

I'd be glad to share documentation on how (if) it can be done, but I'm not sure how to do that in this forum.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't get a lot under your idea - but thank you. I'm simply going off what the service manual calls them. I tried removing the bulb a bit ago but I'm just going to have to be patient and wait until I pull the front piece again and work on it then. I did once before, several years ago, but it wasn't working so before I broke something I thought it most prudent to stop.

I just checked the manual again and it lists these lights as LEDs so I wonder if they're non-replaceable LEDs?* I'll find out when I pop the front within the next few days. Thinking back, I do find it strange that BOTH would go out. I'm now thinking there must be a problem somewhere upstream in the wiring. Maybe I knocked something loose in the past.

Ah, the hunt shall commence! Going over the official wiring diagram now. Will report back later.

* Since they show on the parts fiche as replaceable units and are listed in the manual like the instrument panel lights.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem fixed! I pulled the front end (section with the headlights), disconnected the connector for one of the position lights, pulled the light assembly and applied 12 volts to it. VIOLA - it works. Put assembly back in, took entire headlight assembly over to battery, tested common connector - WOW - all lights working. OK - I have no idea why they weren't working before. Then I checked the common power supply cable - it showed power to all. The light output from these positioning lights is really pitiful and you CAN NOT change the LEDs (there are two) inside. The entire assembly is rated at 13.5V and 0.5 watts. So - problem solved. Now, I'm just waiting on my new headlight LEDs to show up before I button everything back up.

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
Bruce, it was found that on the 2020 AN400 that the headlights too are fixed for life LED's and you must change out the whole housing.

You are dealing with Visibility lighting for only to be seen.

I'd bet a good electronic person could de-solder the LED chips and replace them with more chips that are brighter but then...... how do you focus them?

Reactions: Blacktruck

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
10,062 Posts
Bruce, it was found that on the 2020 AN400 that the headlights too are fixed for life LED's and you must change out the whole housing.
Fixed for life? Even with LEDs that doesn't seem like much of a good idea to me. Anything electrical is one flip of the switch away from total failure. I work with military and heavy construction equipment and even the most robust parts can and will fail at the most inopportune times.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Happytech, those little position lights (weird name because what position are they supposed to be illuminating) are actually your park lights. When you turn your key all the way to left after steering lock, then those little lights will come on. I have never looked but they may even be on as you ride. I have replaced the original bulbs in the headlights assembly, with LED's. I did not remove the front section but rather the black dashboard part around the steering. Make sure you have a proper earth point, do not use the frame as your lights won't work. Then also you will have to adjust the new beam as the LED's cast a different pattern. Now I can tell you that to adjust them is a mission and if you have small hands, that will help. It is most difficult to get your hand in there because you lose track of where the adjuster is and whether you should turn clock or anti-clock is also a mission. With the front assembly off, try and reproduce the actual height of the assembly, put the old bulbs in and see where the beams are thrown (do this against a wall or garage door). Then put the LED's in and adjust while the assembly is still off the bike. You will save yourself a lot of frustrations. If you are going to adjust after the assembly is back on the bike, then at least, while it is still off the bike, make sure you know which adjuster to turn and in which direction.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think I am wrong with the adjuster, in fact I think it is the two little silver ones that I have not circled. Be that as it may, you will figure that out with the assembly off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts