Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dented original had quite a bit of radial runout after all, so it's time for replacement. It was one **** of a pothole.

It looks like my 2003's front brake rotors are four-hole; 2004+ model rotors seem to be five-hole. So unless I can score a 2003 wheel, I'll need the wheel AND rotors. Gah, another "onion" repair. Are there any other compatibility issues I need to be aware of?

I'm buying if someone's selling. Thanks in advance folks. It's a 2003 Standard, so no ABS ring.

·
Administrator
18,752 Posts
Fly, just so you know. The 03 is different like you pointed out. But a 03 wheel will go on a 08 and an 08 on a 03. They are interchangeable. You may need the axle spacer for the year wheel.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heh, for a second I had no idea who Fly was. So the newer fronts have an extra spacer? I know there's one (right side) plus the axle on the 2003 fronts.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Where are you Flywheel? I have an extra front. 2 actually. don't ask.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Up north, in Toronto, Canada. USPS usually gets the job done without the customs hassle. At least that's been my experience with American suppliers (Sonic, Beadrider).

As long as the runout tolerance is good (I think the rest of the dented wheel was about 0.1-0.2 mm at most). PM me with an offer. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
It may be timely here to remind users to put their location and their current burgman details in their profile - it always helps others here to help you. Flywheel?:);)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, right. Hang on. Friends, Burgmen, lend me your wheels. :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Thank you.:)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sheesh, were 2003 front wheels made from gold? Nothing to be found, even if the wrecker knows what a Burgman is. Parts in general seem awfully scarce up here too.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One Decimal Place.

DOH! It seems I misread the maximum runout specfications. Radial and axial (front and rear) are not 0.2 mm, but 2.0 mm! The worst spot on mine was only 1 mm, so my fruitless search was over!

I gave the wheel and rotors a good cleaning and inspection (both rotors had good runout, no gouges and ~4.3 mm thick (min. 4mm) which meant: remounting the rubber!

Decided to try the zip-tie mounting technique since I've scratched enough rims at this stage. It really works, believe it or not--these sorts of ideas usually never work for me. Even at 25 cents/zip (probably less if you look), it's not even close to one of the fancy Motion Pro levers and I bought three! A bit of Windex and bloop! Tire over the rim.

Then the bead. Valve core in valve, run a ratchet strap around the radius and squeeze those beads against the rim. Don't lock the ratchet though, keep it open. It'll loosen up as you inflate the tire.

A bit more Windex and a standup bicycle pump do the rest. POP, POP. Beads set at 30-40 PSI. Piece of cake!

Word of warning: someone posted about portable auto tire compressors being a real drain on a scooter's weaker electrical system. After fully inflating/deflating the tire TWICE to ensure no errant leaks, the Burg just barely started with some coaxing. Something else to look into, I guess.

The Burg is back in business. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts