Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
How much time is involved removing and replacing tupperware to replace side stand switch?
Which model Bike, it not in your profile below your name ?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
2006 burgman 650
Please put this in your profile so other BUSA member know immediately that gratchf703 own 650 Burgman as this save time for all.

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
You shouldn't need to remove much body work to change the side stand switch. Unbolt the switch and follow the wires up to the plug. The plug is on the lower left hand side. You can probably reach it by just removing the left lower leg side cover under the floor boards. If it is to far up you may need to take the bolts out of the floor board and pull it out a little. Worst case you will have to remove the floorboards. That looks daunting but is fairly easy to do.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
92 Posts
I did away with my switch and hard wired them so that I can have the bike warm up while I am not on it. Makes the most sense. Alway thought it was dumb to have that switch!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I did away with my switch and hard wired them so that I can have the bike warm up while I am not on it. Makes the most sense. Alway thought it was dumb to have that switch!
Dumb until the bikes motor races or someone revs it not knowing its an automatic. Put it on the center stand to let it warm up this is the safest option unless you like repairing or replacing your tupperware.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Dumb until the bikes motor races or someone revs it not knowing its an automatic. Put it on the center stand to let it warm up this is the safest option unless you like repairing or replacing your tupperware.
The engine is very unlikely to "rev" by itself, I am not stupid enough to do that while it's on the side stand, and "someone" would have to be a self-destructive fool to mess with my bike.

I my younger "big iron" years I had a tank sticker that said:

"If you value your life, as much as I value my bike--don't f&ck with it!"

And back then it was not an idle threat, as I was intemperate in my youth...

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The engine is very unlikely to "rev" by itself, I am not stupid enough to do that while it's on the side stand, and "someone" would have to be a self-destructive fool to mess with my bike.

I my younger "big iron" years I had a tank sticker that said:

"If you value your life, as much as I value my bike--don't f&ck with it!"

And back then it was not an idle threat, as I was intemperate in my youth...
My bike surges every once in a while when it is very cold out and have had a couple people touch the throttle while it was warming up. Like it or not that switch is there for safety reasons, if the bike had a neutral position then i could understand doing away with it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Fuel injected engines with synthetic oil don't need to be warmed up. It is just not advocated to run high rev's for like the first few miles. I would guess it would be for the transmission sake.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I removed the side stand switch years ago, You know there is a parking brake.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Younger people appear to have been quite fully conditioned to "be afraid" of every conceivable "what if" scenario, and accept all sorts of government mandated inconvenience and expense in the name of "safety". Things like seat belts and airbags (I have waivers for both because of bypass surgery), child proof (and geezer proof) caps on nitroglycerin pills, and those silly handles you have to hold to to keep the lawnmower running. Thirty seconds on the delta and they'd be crying for their mommy and expecting a crisis therapist to come along and hold their hand.

Fact is that Americans won two world wars, and built the greatest nation the earth has ever seen, without any of that crap--and things have been going downhill ever since they turned automobiles into bumper cars and regulated everything there is to keep us "safe".

I used a small clip made of sheet aluminum and a wire tie to make the side-stand switch "go-away":

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Well stated Cliff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts