Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: 2009 Burgman 400

From what I've read, it sounds like several people have had burned bearings in the final drive area. For the people who have had this problem and have replaced the bearing(s), has the problem repeated itself?

I bought my Burgman used and have put on 13,500 miles in a year and a half, which doesn't seem even close to excessive. I'm not at all a mechanic and have a hard time understanding how something like this happens in less than 15,000 miles. I know someone else who had the exact same thing happen to her 2008 400 at 10,000 miles. I sure don't want to have this work done in another 15,000 miles.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi biketrash, the Burgman 400 is very capable of going lots of miles over several years without needing any work doing. That is, apart from normal service routine stuff. That may include a clutch clean and deglaze added to a normal service. But that's actually easy to do yourself if you are able to hold a spanner and screwdriver.

Regarding bearings. I take it you may be referring to a couple of guys on here who have replaced the inner clutch bearing on their 400's. These bearings can last a long time, but occassionally you get one or two that have insufficient grease or the grease runs out or degrades due to the owners not servicing the transmission cooling filter. This filter gets blocked and the transmission temperature runs hot and has been known to cause this issue. I certainly would not worry about that bearing if you are cleaning the filter at regular intervals. There are no intrinsic transmission faults with bearings on any of the 400's. Early or later models. All are pretty much bullet proof if serviced properly. I know guys who own the 400 and they put heavy miles on them. I service several 400's now and one has 82k miles on the clock. It's had one variator and one clutch so far apart from normal routine service items. So don't worry!

Ride safe!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah mine recently got noisy but where still smooth so I greased everything up and its been fine since. The bearings themselves felt great just a little dry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QM, I'm referring to someone I know who had this exact problem, plus others that I've read about on the internet.

If it's so rare, it sure is odd that a friend had the exact same problem. We do have our scooters serviced at the same place. Perhaps they haven't been cleaning the transmission cooling filter. I'll look into that.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
biketrash, the transmission cooling filter is often not serviced by the Suzuki dealer. In my opinion, it should be. It's a service item but just doesn't get done unless you specifically ask them to do it. But even so, it's meant to be an owner service item. It must be done every 1800 miles. It's easy to do. Unless you do it, it can cause trouble because the transmission will run hot. I haven't yet had to replace one of these bearings on any of the bikes I service or my own machine either. None of my friends with this bike have had the problem. But then, we do all clean our filters on the transmission at the correct intervals. We on the forums represent only a tiny number of Burgman users, which in total are huge worldwide. I wouldn't take what you read on the forums as a direct indicator of whether or not there is a problem with a particular bearing. If there is, then it's just down to that filter not being serviced I would suggest. Just make sure to clean that filter on time. It pays dividends.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since two out of the two 400's I personally know have had this issue, that's a very high percentage to me! What adds to my reaction is that I had to cut a vacation short and leave her at a dealership in Arkansas and rent a car to get home. Next week I'll have to figure out how to get her back.

But I appreciate what you've said very much. I called the dealer in Arkansas and asked them to clean that filter and told them what you said. He said he agrees that it very well could have been what caused the problem.

Thanks, QM!
:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Never had to replace mine on my 07 & sold it with 46K+ miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To follow up. . . .

I picked my scooter up in Rogers last week and brought it home. They replaced the belt and cooling filter (I actually thought they'd just clean the filter, not replace) while they were at it. It's running and sounding great.

One question. Does replacing the bearings and/or replacing the belt require taking off the muffler?

·
Registered
66 Posts
What was the problem that caused you to leave it?

Since two out of the two 400's I personally know have had this issue, that's a very high percentage to me! What adds to my reaction is that I had to cut a vacation short and leave her at a dealership in Arkansas and rent a car to get home. Next week I'll have to figure out how to get her back.

But I appreciate what you've said very much. I called the dealer in Arkansas and asked them to clean that filter and told them what you said. He said he agrees that it very well could have been what caused the problem.

Thanks, QM!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Biketrash there are three bearings in the final drive on the 400. One is a ball bearing in the clutch cover, two ball bearings on the fixed drive face, one ball and the other needle bearings (clutch removal required) and a ball bearing on the final drive axle. This requires the wheel, brake caliper and muffler removal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Biketrash there are three bearings in the final drive on the 400. One is a ball bearing in the clutch cover, two ball bearings on the fixed drive face, one ball and the other needle bearings (clutch removal required) and a ball bearing on the final drive axle. This requires the wheel, brake caliper and muffler removal.
Thanks for the reply. I've been offline for awhile. This is why I asked:

When I got home from Rogers (trailered the scooter back to Austin, which was about 600 miles) and started the bike, it sounded like a racing car. I figured out that one of the bolts that attach the muffler to the engine was not there and the muffler was just hanging off. Fortunately I had a replacement.

Since I posted the question about the muffler. . .

1. After my first long ride, I found that the long bolt for the cooling filter had vibrated loose and was about to fall out.

2. Last week in the middle of a very remote ride outside of Presidio, Texas, after hearing a rattle, I discovered that the cushion lever bolt (about 90% sure that's the name of it) was working its way out. Thank god I had my tools.

And I haven't even mentioned the ridiculous way the service manager secured my bike to the trailer, assuring me it was just fine for the trip back. Of course the bike had totally shifted after two miles to the hotel.

Now that I've only ridden about 1500 miles since picking up the bike in Rogers, once again, it's not sounding right. I'll take it to my mechanic and then decide how to handle this situation.

:mad:

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Your 400 has tie-down rings on the rear frame....
but you will still need a way of stopping the rear
wheel from sliding a bit to one side or the other,
& possibly tipping over.
I use a ratchet strap from the bottom of the wheel,
to each side of my trailer...a big O loop.
Some riders use a piece of lumber nailed to the floor...
snugged-up against the tire, to keep it from moving.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That's interesting biketrash. I can't imagine there's much wrong. It does sound as if the workshop didn't torque up the muffler bolts though. I wonder why they removed the muffler? You don't have to remove the muffler to undertake any clutch (inner bearing replacement included), variator or belt work. The muffler only has to come off to strip the final drive gearbox down or replace the exhaust hanger end drive shaft bearing. So I'm wondering what they did exactly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here is my bearing story. Last month I take my 2012 400 with 4400 to the Suzuki shop for a new rear tire and final drive oil change.After a couple hours he comes out and tells me that they can't get the cover off and to do so will ruin the clutch gasket. He says that he has to order a new gasket before they change the oil. I don't hear anything for a month so I call to check and he says yea the gasket is here and to bring it in. After 2 hours he comes out and tells me that a bearing is bad or that they ruined it getting the cover off. There were two places in the shop that I could look in and watch them. Once I looked in and saw 3 guys working on it(hammering,prying and such) and hear them say that it just won't come off. A little while later he comes out and tells me they got it off and tells me about the bearing. He says you will have to get a ride home and he will order the parts to fix it. 3 days later he calls and says it is done. All parts which is 1 ball bearing, 1 o-ring,2 retainer cntr s,2 screws,1 clutch cover gasket and all labor was covered under my extended warranty. He only charged me for the oil. Now, how am I to know if that bearing was actually bad or did they cause it to go bad getting the cover off, Who knows. Don

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
To be honest Don in Pa, it's virtually impossible to damage that bearing if the correct technique is used. You don't need hammers, screwdrivers or mallets, just two exhaust bolts to screw in the holes in the case and then just screw them in and the case comes off the bearing even if it's stuck! No damage caused. I'd go elsewhere in future if I were you. I suspect they just don't do much scooter work. Glad you got her back ok though and it was covered under warranty. Come back here and check out the excellent service videos made by micbergsma in the 400 maintenance section to learn how to do stuff. It's not hard stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts