Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through the maintenance schedule for my K8 and it says at four years to replace the brake lines. The dealer wants over $500 to do this--its' beyond me--which might be fair but it's a lot of cash. Is this something that you really need to do at four years?

Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
338 Posts
Not often done in US---as we have no real mandatory real safety checks----fear is rubber line with time can expand under pressure and not give the braking pressure you need at that moment.
As I tend to not keep bikes a long time---seldom do I worry.

But......first check true price of parts involved---non ABS system pretty straight forward. ABS, I am not sure----job should be simple to do yourself...but messy, and how is this brake fluid on paint. Dealer should be able to do in 1-2 hours in shop, to include new fluid/bleeding----but then as it is often with used bikes what is condition of disks/pads/wheel cylinders and all has to be explained to customer what true costs could be on older (not so old). AND on plastic scooter, getting at everything.

I would change brake fluid/look at complete brake system......ride another couple of years. $500 plus...and maybe more isn't worth it on used bike. My opinion. Non-linked brakes, rare that both fr and rear systems would fail at same time, considering scooter is not that old. If you are riding 25-40,000miles a year, different deal.....maybe.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I saw that.
would suggest carefully inspecting them for cracks, even small ones.
Have had MC with brake lines older than that, no problems.
More important than that would be to flush the brake fluid regularly- again, not a hard job.
Not really a hard job. You would need a flare nut wrench to remove the lines.
$500!?!?! Wow. And gadzooks. :shock: Somehow, when you enter the dealer zone, economics become screwy.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
They are covering their arses and liabilities.

Take the responsibility yourself to inspect the lines thoroughly, say once a year, in the winter - or when you are replacing brake pads.

If you feel the lines need replacing, do them a system at a time either front or rear.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I make it a point to change all of my brake lines at the same time that I change all of the light bulbs - NEVER........!!! :lol: :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts