Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking advice on a suitable replacement windscreen as my current Suzuki screen is hazy. I've heard something about an aftermarket screen with vents and good hand deflector wind/cold protection. Thanks in advance. I stand at between 6'1" and 6'2".

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I've got the vented and tinted Clearview and have liked it. The tint is so light you can hardly tell and it doesn't give any night visibility issue. My ride is an '08 standard 650.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I bought an XL tinted, vented Clearview for my '09 650, and was a little disappointed. It offers better wind protection, and is a high quality item, but it isn't nearly as quiet as I expected. I've tried three different helmets, but neither made much difference. I'm 6'0", and look just over the top of the shield. If I slump down, and look through the shield, it's a lot better. But...I don't like looking through a windscreen.

Many owners like them, though, and I don't know if the other aftermarket brands are any better in the noise department.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If the sole reason you want a new shield is because of the haze, that can be fixed with just 60 minutes of elbow grease.

When I picked up my 2004 last fall it had clearly been stored out in the sun, and not cleaned properly. My windshield was so bad it was a translucent yellow. You could NOT SEE thru it at all.

With various grades of wet sand paper and polishing compound it cleaned up very well. I wish I had taken pics of the before but I was in a rush to polish it and ride.

If you check youtube you will find much info on this technique.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I too have an XL Clearview on my Burgman, but I have the executive model where I can fine tune where I like it to be. Honestly, all the way down is where I keep it all the time unless I am on the highway and then I will raise it up an inch or so. I also got the vent for hot summer days and glad I did.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Not to hijack this post but I suppose it is a pertinent question to the OP should he decide on a new shield.

Why does one want a "tinted" shield?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm curious about the recommended polishing for a screen that has the OP stated hazed effect which I assumed to mean hundreds of very fine superficial scratches as opposed to UV discolouration. My K7 Executive screen has the very light haze condition too as though the screen had been exposed to a very mild sand storm. It's not real bad or that noticeable unless one looks real close. I bought the scoot used and the screen was like that when I bought it. If there's a simple solution or method to get the screen back to a as new condition I'm all ears.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'm curious about the recommended polishing for a screen that has the OP stated hazed which I assumed to mean hundreds of very fine superficial scratches as opposed to UV discoloration. My K7 Executive screen has the light haze condition too as though the screen had been exposed to a mild sand storm. It's not real bad or that noticeable unless one looks real close. I bought the scoot used and the screen was like that when I bought it. If there's a simple solution or method to get the screen back to a as new condition I'm all ears.
Hazed, UV, micro scratches, the method to repair is the same. Sanding and polishing will work. The size of the scratches determine what grit to start with. I'm no expert, but here's the idea... This is not the best video but you can see before and after (though not perfect), he now has a usable screen. With more work, it could look brand new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcBwJKR-jMM

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hazed, UV, micro scratches, the method to repair is the same. Sanding and polishing will work. The size of the scratches determine what grit to start with. I'm no expert, but here's the idea... This is not the best video but you can see before and after (though not perfect), he now has a usable screen. With more work, it could look brand new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcBwJKR-jMM
Excellent, thanks for the reply. I'll start up my VPN so I can view the you.tube video... otherwise won't be able to view it... all foreign social media websites and more are blocked/censored in PRC...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Be sure to get a polishing compound to use first, then the cleaning compound. :)

I used to have a Yamaha 400 Special when I was in college, and a local motorcycle shop sold me a used handlebar-mounted windshield for a great price. I polished both sides first, then cleaned it well, and it looked great! It was mostly surface abrasions and microscratches, very few scratches that you could actually catch your fingernail in. I did mine by hand, but someone who's good with a random-orbital polisher could probably get it done better and faster.
I wouldn't try that myself, because I don't have any experience with a polisher. ;)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I've gotten good results using the Novus system - #3 for heavy scratches, followed by #2 for light scratches, followed by #1 for cleaning and polishing. Do a little research on their website and see if it fits the bill. https://www.novuspolish.com/

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The main reason for wanting a new screen is the haze as a result of lack of regular cleaning and long-term storage in the sun.

The black plastic body panels around the tunnel tank area are discolored (faded) as is the black plastic around the handlebars and glove compartment/s.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The black tupperware parts are less expensive than the painted parts, but still not cheap. They're beautiful when new though. I can live with the old ones not matching the new ones on my 650. In the photo, the CVT vent is old, the foot board and front box are new. They'll match more closely after an application of 303 Aerospace Protectant (UV protection). Great stuff, protects the clear plastic parts too (the windscreen and the headlight lenses).

·
Registered
735 Posts
^ Yeah Ron the old Lardy will look a lot better when I finally finish repainting the tupperware and get him all put together.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The main reason for wanting a new screen is the haze as a result of lack of regular cleaning and long-term storage in the sun.
The Novus kit should do the trick for you. Unless you want the extra coverage, I would like the hand coverage in colder weather that the Givi offers.

·
Registered
352 Posts
^ Yeah Ron the old Lardy will look a lot better when I finally finish repainting the tupperware and get him all put together.
Where's the picture of C3P0... "My parts are showing!" :eek:

:D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm the OP. I use Armor-All UV wipes to improve the faded black tone on the black plastic body panels, but it usually requires wiping down the surfaces three or four times before any definite improvement is seen.

Rain then washes the result away.

I wanted to avoid the cost and complexity of it, but I'll probably look into 'Black Wow Pro' for a more permanent solution to darken those faded parts.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The procedure for polishing the windscreen should be the same as for car headlights, for which you can buy dedicated kits, with all the various abrasive media needed from coarse to fine.

In Hawaii, where headlights deteriorate rapidly, headlight restoration is standard procedure, and I've seen before and after pictures of yellowed and matted headlights looking as new afterwards.
For UV protection, they use urethane lacquer with UV-filter meant for wood on boats (!)
IIRC they use the same technique as you do with lacquer top coat on paint, where you don't polish the paint, but just use finer and finer sand paper, and the final smooth surface comes from the lacquer.

One of the top Google search results: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/19021-headlight-restoration-new-uv-sealant-idea.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts