Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their original tires with Pirelli GTS23 (front) and GTS24 (rear) radials? The best price I could find for Pirelli and Bridgestone indicated the latter are twice the cost of Pirellis. Any feedback would be appreciated before I re-tire.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
aehansen said:
Has anyone replaced their original tires with Pirelli GTS23 (front) and GTS24 (rear) radials? The best price I could find for Pirelli and Bridgestone indicated the latter are twice the cost of Pirellis. Any feedback would be appreciated before I re-tire.
I will also be due for a rear tire soon. I have 5000 miles on the original. Looks like I can get maybe another 500 miles out of it, but not much more.

I went to my dealer to order a tire (I get free mounting and balancing if I order through them). Their price was $146.95 for the OEM Bridgestone, and $60.95 for the Pirelli GTS24.

Pirelli tires typically have excellent grip, but wear somewhat faster than other tires (softer compound). For less than half the price of the Bridgestone, it was an easy decision for me. I ordered the Pirelli. If I only get 4000 miles on it - it's still a much better deal. (And it might last better than that).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to order Pirellis today and was told by a distributor and Oneida
Suzuki that the availability date has been moved to Nov. '04 (it was originally Dec. '03. I would be interested to know if this is good info or not. Alternatively, Oneida Suzuki has Bridgestone radials for the 650 at $71.99 front, $91.99 rear plus about $10 shipping each. Bridgestone seems to be the only game in town right now.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
My dealer called his distributor to check on availability of the Pirelli rear tire. He told me I should have it the middle of next week.

The price you were quoted on the Bridgestones is much better than what I was quoted for them though.

Another way you could check is to call one of the big mail order outfits to see if they have the Pirellis in stock.

Seems like someone is playing games here... If I do successfully get the Pirelli rear tire next week, I'll post a message here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had heard that at present there is only one manufacture making tires in the correct size for the Burgman 650 the OEM Bridgestones.

It doesn't bother me though because on the harley I had you could buy only Dunlop.

Ed

·
Registered
62 Posts
The sole source tire was a concern to me for a while. Years ago, I had a HD XLCR that only goodyear made tires for. But recently, Pirelli has joined Bridgestone in making rubber that fits the 650. I have always had good luck with both Pirelli and Dunlop.

I have 5100 miles on my 650 and still have greater than half the tread remaining. For those folks who are seeing faster wear.... I've always gotten somewhat better milage on tires than my riding friends, in spite of the fact that I ride a little harder. I attribute extended milage with the fact that I run the hi end of the pressure settings. It firms up the ride a little, but the cost savings seem to make it well worth while.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I got my new Pirelli rear tire installed today on the 650. Looks pretty good - actually for $60.95, it looks excellent. Rode on it for a little while and it felt fine.

Funny thing. I always thought that Pirelli was an Italian tire company, But "Made in Germany" is stamped on the side of the tire.

Anyway, that talk about Pirelli tires not being available until November is false. I've got one and I'm riding on it. I'm constantly amazed by the mis-information that dealers glibbly hand out.

·
Registered
308 Posts
pauljo said:
I got my new Pirelli rear tire installed today on the 650. Looks pretty good - actually for $60.95, it looks excellent. Rode on it for a little while and it felt fine.

snip.
I saw and talked to a Yellow Vstrom rider at the Biker hangout today. Sweet ride. Tall,

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I had a couple of hours to kill at the dealership this morning while I was waiting to have my tire put on. Incidently, the bill for mounting the tire was $58, but it cost me $0 due to the maintenance contract I have.

Anyhow, I wandered around looking at the new motorcycles for awhile. It is a fairly large showroom - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati - in what was once a home builder's supply facility. I passed by rows of cruisers, barely giving them a glance. Sport bikes - there were a few that I found interesting, but none I would really want to take home with me. I had to hunt for a V-Strom - only one blue 650 VS left - there were a few in there last time I looked.

The back wall is scooter row - quite a few of them. Three Burgman 650s, all with Sold tags on them. A couple of Silver Wings. Several Burgman 400s. I do think that 400 is a slick looking machine - just wasn't big enough for my long legs. Some Honda Reflex's and a couple of Helix's. The Reflex is also a good looker I think. And a bunch of little cuties (80cc, etc). This is a dealer that has discovered there is money in scooters...

This year I haven't seen a Burgman 650 in there without a Sold sign on it. They are either selling immediately, or he is hunting for them at other dealerships to satisfy existing orders.

What is remarkable, is that I walked out of the showroom without really wanting anything. I am quite happy with the two Suzuki's I own.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Just back from a 70 mile ride with the new Pirelli rear tire on the 650. I like it a lot. Handling at speed through the curves is excellent. Ride compliance is very good too, even with the Pirelli set to 41 psi.

I was running the OEM Bridgestone at 36 psi most of the time because the ride seemed too harsh at 41 psi. That doesn't seem to be an issue any more. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with the Ikon shocks, and how much with the Pirelli - but the combination is working well. So I'm going to run this tire at 41 psi and see if it does enhance tire life.

I'm leaving the OEM Bridgestone front tire at 33 psi, since it is doing well at that setting. It appears to have a lot of miles left in it, and it hasn't cupped at all. When it wears out, I'll probably go to a Pirelli front tire also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked back at my original post on Pirelli tires and realized that I hadn't specified that the front tire was the one I was told would not be available untill November. I ordered, and received, the rear tire, although it has not been mounted yet- trying to safely squeeze a little more than present 5300 miles from the OEM. I am on the second set of Pirelli MT 66- Route tires on my Volusia and the ride, adhesion, and tracking are very good- but that is compared to the OEM tires which were IRC.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
aehansen said:
I looked back at my original post on Pirelli tires and realized that I hadn't specified that the front tire was the one I was told would not be available untill November.
Well, that is not good news... I probably won't make it to November before I need to replace the front tire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Groan :(

Can't get the Pirelli here in Australia. Apparently not listed in the catalogues.

But in Arizona at:

http://store.azmusa.com/tire.html

160/60S-14 TL Rear Burgman 650 Radial

GTS24-05 Regular price: $60.95 Sale price: $37.90 (US$ that is)

Found it on a google search...

nev

·
Registered
969 Posts
abm said:
I saw and talked to a Yellow Vstrom rider at the Biker hangout today. Sweet ride. Tall,
So the V-Strom rider didn't want ta race ya, huh? Can't blame 'im, y'know. :) :?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Replacement Tires

Asked my dealer again yesterday about availability of Pirelli radials for Burgman 650 front- this time the distributer told him they would be available after July 15. Also, I now have about 2000 miles on the Pirelli rear, and the wear rate so far seems to be comparable to the OEM Bridgestone, which is good news.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
Funny thing. I always thought that Pirelli was an Italian tire company, But "Made in Germany" is stamped on the side of the tire.
It is, or at least was, an Italian company.

Like many companies, they're probably outsourcing or setting up foreign operations to have access to cheaper labor pools and/or better distribution channels.

Think about all the Fords and Volkswagens that are made in Mexico and Brazil, for example.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I believe that Pirelli was originally an Italian company. Looking at their website, they now just call themselves a multi-national corporation. The "Made in Germany" stamped on the side of my tire does not ring of a "cheaper labor source" - but I've seen slight references in some motorcycle magazines that reference Pirelli and a German tire maker in an almost hyphenated way. These days in the business world there could have been a merger, or a cooperative agreement (like Suzuki & Kawaski have). Pirelli has long had a reputation for making high performance sport tires (maximum road grip) and still speaks of their tires in those terms on the website.

It was very much a surprise to me that a tire from a high performance tire company, and made in Germany to boot, could be bought for less than half the price of a replacement Bridgestone. I hope that doesn't change soon.

My rear Pirelli now has 3800 miles on it. It hasn't flattened in the middle nearly as much as the original Bridgestone had at that mileage, and from the amount of tread remaining, I think it is going to easily outlast the Bridgestone. Road grip & handling have been excellent on dry roads - I have not done any serious rain riding, so I can't comment on its performance on wet roads. Someone else just mentioned a better ride with their rear Pirelli - but I have Ikon shocks (they have stock shocks), and I didn't notice any discernable change in ride quality.

So, regardless of who owns the company these days or who they are partnered with - I love the tire's performance so far, and I love the price. I am going to try to order a Pirelli front tire this week. At 9100 miles, my Bridgestone front tire still has tread - but it has obviously seen better days. It has started to flatten in the middle, and has some noticable cupping - and on some road surfaces it just doesn't behave as well as I'd like.

The only bad thought that haunts me, is that Pirelli might be undercutting market prices to get a grip (pun intended) on the super-scooter tire market, with the intention of raising prices once they have attained their targeted market share. Time will tell.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
...The only bad thought that haunts me, is that Pirelli might be undercutting market prices to get a grip (pun intended) on the super-scooter tire market, with the intention of raising prices once they have attained their targeted market share.
I don't think that's it. That's a typical Japanese ploy, but in Pirelli's case I think it's because of the lower labor costs at the tire factories in the former East Germany.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Brian said:
I don't think that's it. That's a typical Japanese ploy, but in Pirelli's case I think it's because of the lower labor costs at the tire factories in the former East Germany.
Interesting... When I see "Made in Germany" on a product, I automatically think of the traditional West Germany... And their products are generally pricey. You are probably right!

Geez - the world keeps changing - and sometimes I don't change with it. But at least I'm progressive enough to ride a Burgman. :wink:

·
Registered
100 Posts
tars

i've got over 9000 miles on the stock tires. the rear is down to the wear idicators. i have alwys run 40-41 psi in the rear. lots of 2 up riding. i ordered aset of pirrellis from oneida,and they are back ordered and was told thay will be here 8/30/04.til then just going for short rides close to home.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts