Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, hope I recently obtained a 2007 burgman 400. I would like to replace both tires however the more I research it the more I am confused about what to get. I am not an aggressive rider however I enjoy riding curves in E TN. I have also found a lot of brands are out of stock. I am looking for any advice or suggestions please. Thank you. Greg

· Registered
972 Posts
What Mikey said. There aren't any "bad" tires for the Burgman out there, and you'd probably never notice the difference unless you rode two different ones back-to-back. Bridgestones, Shinkos, Michelins, PIrellis...they all work just fine. Buy what you can find, and focus on having a good time riding.

· Registered
152 Posts
What is your confusion? If they are new, black, round, and hold air you are all set. I have been satisfied with Shinko tires from Ebay sellers.

Here is a result of my search available from the seller I have bought from several times. They claim four day delivery.

Be sure to triple check the tire sizes before you click buy it now.

· Registered
972 Posts
If they are new, black, round, and hold air you are all set.
Um...no.

If they are more than five years old they should hit the trash not matter how they look. The OP doesn't say how many miles are on his bike, but if those tires are from 2007 they should be cut up into little pieces and scattered to the wind.

Here's how to read the date codes on tires.

· Registered
152 Posts
Ummm... did you not see the word new as the first adjective?

I presume yout destroy 5 plus year old tires you have on your car, truck, trailer, bicycle, lawnmower and so on as well. :)
PS
Don't forget about the spare tire for your car, truck, trailer, etc.

· Premium Member
813 Posts
Hello all, hope I recently obtained a 2007 burgman 400. I would like to replace both tires however the more I research it the more I am confused about what to get. I am not an aggressive rider however I enjoy riding curves in E TN. I have also found a lot of brands are out of stock. I am looking for any advice or suggestions please. Thank you. Greg
Greg,
I use this place...
SCOOTER / MOPED - Page 1 - American Moto Tire

· Registered
2,322 Posts
Right now it may come down to what's available. I just replaced my 7 year old tires on my 2016 with Pirelli Diablo Rossi's but I purchased them last year. I found a Metzeler Sporttec for the front of my Honda PCX ( for $51.00!) but the only rear available is a IRC which where the stock tires. I can get a Metzeler rear from the UK but they want $70.00 shipping on Ebay!

· Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,161 Posts
I presume yout destroy 5 plus year old tires you have on your car, truck, trailer, bicycle, lawnmower and so on as well. :)
Can really compare all those other tire applications to a motorcycle/scooter, having a tire failure on any of those vehicles is less likely to be life threatening, especially in a 4-wheel vehicle, but yes rubber is rubber they are subject to " Similar standard for aging ", more so if tire sees little use. IAC on normally driven vehicles tires will wear way before they age out, not so on most "Sunday" driven motorcycles. A good indicator of tire rubber aging out (besides exterior condition) is the constant loss of air pressure, rubber has hardened, does not seal good on rim or osmosis thru the rubber itself. A loss of 3-5psi in a month is normal, more than that (n) :unsure:

I come from a profession/culture of preventive maintenance (Aviation), even at that level maintenance, rare failures occur. I've seen the carnage and lost $$$$ a blown tire can do, simply by someone not checking/servicing tires :(

Benjamin Franklin: “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”

Don't forget about the spare tire for your car, truck, trailer, etc.
The aging out of a normal size spare tire is 7-10 years, depending on where/how they are stored !!, is similar for compact spares (which are "One time use only", limited on speed/distance and usually flat when you need it !! :whistle:)

BTW when buying tires from anyone ask for the DOM, most big suppliers will have this info on hand, sometimes ebay sellers, will resell NOS tires they buy at discount, etc., be careful. IAC, I would not buy a tire over a year old from DOM.

Another BTW, both my scooters have shinko tires and no issues(B400+SW600)

· Registered
2,322 Posts
My 7 year old rear tire developed that bulge overnight so I should have replaced it last year. Tread still looked good but who knows what's going on in the inside.

Moderator fixed Phat Finger typing.

Reactions: airhead83

· Registered
92 Posts
I have seen a big improvement with Dunlop Elite Series 3.

· Registered
2,322 Posts

· Administrator
16,967 Posts
Ha Ha! I meant tread!
Uncle, I fixed it above. But not saying you're phat.

I had a Metzler tire on the rear of my Suzuki GS750N, Was 5 years old and had about 1.500 miles on it and it looked real good.

Went from Augusta GA to Hilton Head SC. On the return I was doing about 90++ MPH when I got a BAD THUMPING. Pulled off and it had a KNOT the size of a tennis ball. Was still 60 miles from home and I did 30 MPH the whole way. If I got above 30 MPH it shook so bad. Worst 2 hours ride.

Reactions: Uncle Fester

· Registered
92 Posts
no scooter yet BUT on my motorcycles tyres DO vary! some handle better + have better traction, a good thing for safety IMO + others last longer. i look for better performance rather than longer life as my life is more important than longer tyre life
I only had 4300 miles on my 03 650 burgman when I got it. They were dry rotted from sitting with great tread. Changed them both to Shinko. Put about 4000 miles on them and have no complaints. Priced right too.

Attachments

· Administrator
16,967 Posts
I only had 4300 miles on my 03 650 burgman when I got it. They were dry rotted from sitting with great tread. Changed them both to Shinko. Put about 4000 miles on them and have no complaints. Priced right too.
I'd forgotten how nice the 2003 650's GRAY looked. My first one was GRAY, current 2003 is BLUE.

I am running the Shinko 120/70 15 on the front of mine. Can not tell its a Bias Ply, don't care.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.