Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

Registered
When I entered my 2016 Burgman 400 the Healtech's STV Eliminator did not come up with the other components they make. Their E sync tool came up which doesn't make much sense.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
It is now Sunday, May 24 I'm still working on the 400...have removed everything that blocks access and view of the throttle body and wiring... including the air filter box. Have removed and checked the STVA and now have it on my work bench.
I can start the bike and get it to open wide open up to red line and it runs good from say from 2000rpm on up. But when I let it fall back to below 2000rpm I have to milk the throttle to keep it running. If I release the throttle it will idle for about 10 seconds. And it still has the popping, spitting fits.

I plan to order a new coll and fuel injector..Please recommend a source if you have one.

Another issue, I can't identify the coil... Haynes says it is on the left side of the engine. Do not see anything that looks like it to me. Haynes pictures/illustrations are unclear. Help if u can. I can't find YOUTube help either. This is one thing ole Mitch doesn't address. Wish he lived nearby. I have no one in San Antonio who I have confidence in..AND certainly not either of the dealers馃槣. Well enough tears for now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited by Moderator)
When I entered my 2016 Burgman 400 the Healtech's STV Eliminator did not come up with the other components they make. Their E sync tool came up which doesn't make much
UF, don't know if u saw my post today. I have removed everything that restricts my view of the throttle body, including the air filter box (ugg) and the STVA. It starts up and will run 2000 rpm to redline real good but when I let it fall back below about 2000rpm, it starts to stumble, spit back,etc. By milking the throttle I can keep it running. If i let it fall to idle it will for about 10 sec's or so, coughs and dies.

I don't know which way I want to "jump"... is it fuel or spark related? A new coil is about $100. But I cannot locate it on the bike, Haynes says it is on the left side but I cannot see anything that looks like it to me. Haynes pictures are too poor to really help. Of course my 82 year old eyes don't help. "LORD I'm not complaining...in fact I am very grateful YOU have given me strength and health to enjoy life.

Administrator
Read this too:

Registered
The coil is part 26 on the left side. I don't know why you think it is the coil. You can also use the search engine to check old threads. It's on the right of the screen in a drop down box next to your icon W.

Administrator
I merged your two posts as we are getting information scattered over too many threads.

Reactions: Uncle Fester

Registered
The coil is part 26 on the left side. I don't know why you think it is the coil. You can also use the search engine to check old threads. It's on the right of the screen in a drop down box next to your icon W. View attachment 90374
wow, what a pain in the ass it is to access and remove. try putting it back in, its a nighmare. tiny allen screws aand you have little room to turn or get leverage to tighten. I zipped tight the c*ap out of it to the frame. in fact I have 2 coils mounted. 1, I had tightened back but could only do 1 screw. its the one thats not working. the new (used part) is just mounted vertically with zip ties to the chassis.
the connectors yellow and orange will only connect to the coil 1 way. theyre different sized connectors

"I plan to order a new coll and fuel injector "

I thought the injector comes with the throttle body and cant be bought as a part, but you must buy the whole throttle body as a unit?

ah, never mind, its #19

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
wow, what a pain in the ass it is to access and remove. try putting it back in, its a nighmare. tiny allen screws aand you have little room to turn or get leverage to tighten. I zipped tight the c*ap out of it to the frame. in fact I have 2 coils mounted. 1, I had tightened back but could only do 1 screw. its the one thats not working. the new (used part) is just mounted vertically with zip ties to the chassis.
the connectors yellow and orange will only connect to the coil 1 way. theyre different sized connectors

"I plan to order a new coll and fuel injector "

I thought the injector comes with the throttle body and cant be bought as a part, but you must buy the whole throttle body as a unit?

ah, never mind, its #19
Unc fester, u apparently think I'm on the wrong track about the coil. Since it is in the firing sequence and my bike is either backfiring or missing (not sure which) I wanted to eliminate the coil. What would u suggest I try next?
Thanks, wwicker

Administrator
What seems to help when my 400 does not hold it's idle is a throttle idle reset.

1. Plug the dealer mode switch in the connector under the instrument cluster on the right side.
2. Turn the switch on.
3. Hold the throttle wide open.
4. Turn the ignition to the on position while holding throttle OPEN for 10 seconds.
5. While still holding throttle open, turn ignition switch off, turn dealer mode switch off and unplug it. Let go of throttle.
6. Test ride.

Uncle Fester, You apparently think I'm on the wrong track about the coil. Since it is in the firing sequence and my bike is either backfiring or missing (not sure which) I wanted to eliminate the coil. What would u suggest I try next?
Thanks, wwicker
Wayne, I would try the Throttle reset first.

Reactions: Uncle Fester

Registered
Backfire would possibly mean a bad mixture?Maybe the plug is dirty. Maybe the gap needs tweaking. Maybe the injector is clogged
Maybe bad crankshaft position sensor. Problem seems to be the cumbustion mix is bad

Careful when playing with the stva(throttle plate) . I believe they are calibrated when installed. Though not 100% certain. Its certainly an Achilles heel of rhe 400

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
Wayne, I would try the Throttle reset first.
Thanks Uncle, I now need to read up on "dealer mode switch". Is that something that is on the bike or something I need to get? Will see what the Haynes says and go to YouTube from there.

Thanks for the pic u sent locating the coil... Found it. Since I have all the panels out the way , l can get to the coil. May pull it off and test it w my volt meter.... unless I think it is a waste of time
Thanks and cheers
Wayne

Administrator
Wayne, the Dealer Mode switch is a simple toggle switch on a short wire with a female plug on the end. It plugs into the dealer mode switch in the connector under the instrument cluster on the right side.

Dealer Mode.jpg

Many frugal owners have modified one of these to stick in the pin holes on the connector. No on/off switch.
paper-clip.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks Uncle, I now need to read up on "dealer mode switch". Is that something that is on the bike or something I need to get? Will see what the Haynes says and go to
YouTube from there.
Thanks for the pic u sent locating the coil...Found it. Since I have all the panels out the way , l can get to the coil. May pull it off and test it w my volt meter....unless I think it is a waste of time
Thanks and cheers
Wayne
Just ordered the dealer mode switch. Look forward to using it
Ww

Administrator
I am hoping this reset fixes the issue.

Registered
Yes you can just leave it connected all the time just turn it on and off when you need to activate it.
I bought one from a guy in latvia. Its a push once for on push once for off

Registered
Youtube has video talking about STVA problem " GSXR STVA c28 code Permanent fix". However, you don't have FI signal. It is still worthwhile to test STVA with multi-meter without dismantling it.

Registered
yea, aware of that video. he talks about resoldering the contacts if I remember correctly?

problem with the b400, is its looks nothing like the gsx. the issue with the b400 is the small cogs inside that cause the issue. the contacts are fine.

bigger problem and **** suzuki that they dont sell just the unit to replace. eh, so its not 100% calibrated. who gives a damm as long as it does most of its job well enough. but you have to cough up $500.

Registered
Agreed that Wick's case may not be STVA problem as he doesn't have the FI signal and throttle can turn fully open to red line. Suggest to consider more of the idling problem. (like vacuum leaks at Idling Air Control). Other reasons can refer to page 1A8 and 9 of the Suzuki service manual available on line.

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
You asked if it spits back...just went out ant started it and listened to see and it does spit back. What I thought was an electronic miss may be the spitting you mentioned. What does that indicate?
Not sure what u taped back..or how to do that. At this point I will try anything. Time and effort are not a concern to me as working on the scoot is entertainment and exercise.
Thanks Wayne
Please explain how u taped the throttle valve open and how far open did u leave it? I am experimenting w everything while waiting for the dealer mode switch ordered.

Uncle Fester you have suggested we not fool with the STVA . Oops too late.
I have had mine off opened it studied it and cannot believe how simple it is. Other than the cogs on the white gear wearing off or breaking, I do not see what can create the problem, as long as everything works smoothly. Although mine was clean and worked, I cleaned and lightly lubricated the white gear where it sits in its housing, carefully put it back together as I tightened the small screws alternately so not to put any flex in the top. Plugged it back in, turned the key and could hear the gear moving freely. Mitch explains how to turn the gear clockwise when u put it back on. It helps to lube the end of the throttle shaft as you put slip the STVA back on.
Of course you must set the adjuster on the side of the STVA to factory index mark. Mitch shows how he set his a little past the mark and that solved his problem.

Comments please馃榾 Thanks
Wayne

Registered
S-Steel is the one that tried taping the secondary throttle plate open. I suggested the idle relearn and checking older threads of what previous owners have tried.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts