Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Here we go. Since there are threads popping up almost daily asking about this problem on older (K7 and up) Burgman 400 scooters I decided to make a better guide.
What this mod does is essentially bypass the internal (hidden and irreplaceable) fuel filter/strainer with an inline one.
Cost is about $10-15 and you also get the gas line replaced in the price (which costs $40 normally from Suzuki)............
Paid dealer $800 to purge tank, install new fuel pump and anciliaries. Have driven about 200miles in the 50days and same problem but worse. Scoot is 2007 w 11000mi. Now it will not idle below 2000rpm, bogs down under even moderate acceleration and has a miss about every 200 rpm.
I have studied tbe mod adding the inline filter and will do that. But I don't see that will help the miss. The dealer installed plug has less than 200mi but I will check it.
Appreciate helpful comments
Wayne...San antonio

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
I cant find any parts stores who have an "Efi" filter. Have called everyone who might know if there is such available. As the mod places the filter in front of the fuel pump before pressure is applied can't see where see that makes a difference? If it does please advise where I can get one.馃槣
Thanks, Wayne

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I found an in-line filter and installed it...also installed a new plug.
The initial ride of about ten miles was good. I have put about 30 miles since and it is again bogging down when I apply throttle over about 2500rpm.
Setting on the center stand it will not get over 4000rpm. It starts popping which I liken to backfire, but not sure that is what I am hearing. It also has an occasional miss about 200 rpm.

The dealer tried to fix these problems by 鈥渄raining not purging the tank, installing a new Fidel pump, new plug at a cost of $800+. Bike displayed same problems after I got it home.

Having lost confidence in the dealers ability to fix the problem, I found your forum and applied the recommended fix myself. Although I found the exercise quite entertaining to my 82 year old mind and body, I am in search of recommendations for additional help/suggestions.

Thanks, Wayne wicker in San antonio

Registered
Does it cough like its choking or it simpky doednt want to rev when you open the throttle? Uncle Fester is also having an issue with his
I had an issue eith the stva unit (a known flaw) going bad. I had to remove it and then just taped the 2nd valve to the open position
Not sure it its an issue with yours. Spark frequency is correct? Or an issue with crankshaft position sensor? Im throwing ideas out
Not sure if its fuel not flowing properly or some electrical issue its suffering from

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Does it cough like its choking or it simply doesnt want to rev when you open the throttle? Uncle Fester is also having an issue with his.
I had an issue with the stva unit (a known flaw) going bad. I had to remove it and then just taped the 2nd valve to the open position.
Not sure it its an issue with yours. Spark frequency is correct? Or an issue with crankshaft position sensor? Im throwing ideas out
Not sure if its fuel not flowing properly or some electrical issue its suffering from.
When I advance the throttle above 3000 rpm it bogs down like it is starving for fuel. I can back off and milk the throttle and get it up to 4000rpm. Today I experienced the new
symptom... popping which sounds like backfiring馃惪馃惪馃惪馃ぁ

STVA ?? I am an old school shade tree mechanic and am ignorant of most modern electromic components. I have the Haynes Burgman repair manual and will try to read up on this part and learn what it does and how it works
Thanksi

Administrator
STVA is not a sweetener for tea. ;)

It is 'Secondary Throttle Valve' that boosts lower RPM power but should be wide open at higher RPM's.

Registered
Ok that doesnt aound like something I experienced
Mitch had the issue I was speaking of. When you give throttle it just doesnt want to rev but It wont shut off or backfire but feels like there is a limiter on it stopping it to rev up no matter how much you turn the throttle .

Backfiring is an issue I didn't have so I don't want to waste your time to check this and that. You need to be pointed more accurately and I don't know with what. Sorry buddy

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Ok that doesnt aound like something I experienced
Mitch had the issue I was speaking of. When you give throttle it just doesnt want to rev.but It wont shut off or backfire but feels like theres a limiter on it stopping it to rev up no matter how much you turn the throttle .

Backfiring is an issue I didnt have so I dont want to waste your time to check this and that. You need tobe pointed more accurately and I dont know with what. Sorry buddy
First let me thank you for your help and suggestons. After checking the sprk plug and elec. conectoons

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited by Moderator)
Ok that doesn't sound like something I experienced
Mitch had the issue I was speaking of. When you give throttle it just doesn't want to rev.but It wont shut off or backfire but feels like there is a limiter on it stopping it to rev up no matter how much you turn the throttle .

Backfiring is an issue I didnt have so I dont want to waste your time to check this and that. You need to be pointed more accurately and I dont know with what. Sorry buddy
First let me thank you for your help and suggestions. After checking the spark plug and elec. connections, I did what Mitch did and adjusted the STVA about 1/16 inch.

And Magic...it started and ran perfect. Accepts full throttle. No miss and not bogging no backfire.
Thanks
Wayne San Antonio

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
First let me thank you for your help and suggestions. After checking the spark plug and elec. connections, I did what Mitch did and adjusted the STVA about 1/16 inch.

And Magic...it started and ran perfect. Accepts full throttle. No miss and not bogging no backfire.
Thanks
Wayne San Antonio
S steel, it鈥檚 me again. Got the Burgman all buttoned up and switch on..no F1 light. Started up with ease and ran smooth. Departed for gas station...at about 2 miles it started to bogdown and I had to nurse it into gas station. It would accept about 1500-2000 rpm. When I stopped it did not die and would accept a little more throttle. As I was nearly out of gas, I hope adding fuel and some SeaFoam cleaner will clear up the problem. Do u have any other suggestions?
Thanks
Wayne

Administrator
The fuel tank on the 400 is a galvanized steel. STUPID IDEA!!!

If old gas sets it will go bad. If the tank is left 1/2 empty moisture in the air will condensate and this will work with that old nasty gas and rust/corrorde the tank inside. This rust and corrorsion will plug up the strainer. If you do not fix the tanks corrosion it will re plug up any new strainer/filter.

This is a lot of work but if you do it it should never rust again. All items that bolt on the tank must be removed while doing this repair. A 8 ounce can set should do a 400's tank. POR-15 is tough stuff and very messy so do not get it on anything you don't want coated.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
S steel, it鈥檚 me again. Got the Burgman all buttoned up and switched on..no F1 light. Started up with ease and ran smooth. Departed for gas station...at about 2 miles it scarfed to bogdown and I had to nurse it into gas station. It would accept about 1500-2000 rpm. When I stopped it did not die and would accept a little more throttle. As I was nearly out of gas, I hope adding fuel and some SeaFoam cleaner will clear up the problem. Do u have any other suggestions?
Thanks
Wayne
Its me again. I checked fuel line to make sure no crimp or restriction, then did what Mitch did. Removed the STVA, opened it up no abnormalities. Moved the internal plastic gizmo with flatblade screwdriver . Cleaned and lubricated the throttle, moved the butterfly by hand. Started up just fine, butterfly moving freely. Experimented with different positions of the STVA, seems best near the blue index mark. Bike starts up like it should, but will not hold rpm when advanced and when return to idle it dies like an electrical disconnect.

Any suggestions. I wonder if the coil is the culprit. Gonna read up on that next.
Thanks guys, Wayne San antonio

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
The fuel tank on the 400 is a galvanized steel. If old gas sets it will go bad. If the tank is left 1/2 empty moisture in the air will condensate and this will work with that old nasty gas and rust/corrode the tank inside. This rust and corrosion will plug up the strainer. If you do not fix the tanks corrosion it will re plug up any new strainer/filter.

This is a lot of work but if you do it it should never rust again. All items that bolt on the tank must be removed while doing this repair. A 8 ounce can set should do a 400's tank. POR-15 is tough stuff and very messy so do not get it on anything you don't want coated.
C
The symptoms are not indicative of bad fuel which is clear and only days old. The fuel In the clear plastic filter and that drained from the line is clear. Would be willing to remove the tank and do what you suggest but I don't think the problem is bad fuel,
Thanks for your thoughts.

Please offer any other ideas you have. I am a retired 82year old and have nothing else to keep me busy.
Wayne w

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Does it cough like its choking or it simpky doednt want to rev when you open the throttle? Uncle Fester is also having an issue with his
I had an issue eith the stva unit (a known flaw) going bad. I had to remove it and then just taped the 2nd valve to the open position
Not sure if its fuel not flowing properly or some electrical issue its suffering from
Did taping the valve open solve the problem and what adverse issues does this cause

Registered
the throttle valve/flap needs to be open as you rev it to let more air in. the unit that opens and closes it doesnt work. so I turned it to the open position. it sounds louder a bit. louder like if you were to drive without the filter cover on and old style carb automobile.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
the throttle valve/flap needs to be open as you rev it to let more air in. the unit that opens and closes it doesnt work. so I turned it to the open position. it sounds louder a bit. louder like if you were to drive without the filter cover on and old style carb automobile.
You asked if it spits back...just went out ant started it and listened to see and it does spit back. What I thought was an electronic miss may be the spitting you mentioned. What does that indicate?
Not sure what u taped back..or how to do that. At this point I will try anything. Time and effort are not a concern to me as working on the scoot is entertainment and exercise.
Thanks Wayne

Registered
Looks good
I had tbe stva disconnected and had the f1 light on. It definitely had worse mpg. But it wouldnt show mileagr nor the odometer reading because of the error.what a failure in design it is. It fails because the plastic cogs inside the unit tire out. Someone who wanted to make some money would 3d print the cogs inside, replace and repair them

1 - 20 of 75 Posts