Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the 2006 650 this year with 22,000 miles on it. Now has 24,500. I've been reading that it's a smart thing to replace the stopper bolt with the updated one. The one I removed has some indents in it (doesn't look too severe to me) but I'd like to know it this looks normal for a bike with 24,000 miles on it. I took a pic of the head also to determine if it is oem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
That looks like normal wear to me. I probably would have just put it back in and saved the new one for if it got any worse.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
BTW, if your bolt never shows anymore wear than that you probably have a healthy CVT that will run without issue until the belt finally gives out.

·
Registered
426 Posts
As others have replied, looks pretty normal.good wear for the mileage. I'd have also been inclined to put 'er back in too, but then again the price of the bolts compared to other consumables is almost negligible to my mind, so for peace of mind - changing the bolt for a new one wouldn't hurt.

Did you ask the previous owner if the bolt had ever been changed from the original since purchase/new?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As others have replied, looks pretty normal.good wear for the mileage. I'd have also been inclined to put 'er back in too, but then again the price of the bolts compared to other consumables is almost negligible to my mind, so for peace of mind - changing the bolt for a new one wouldn't hurt.

Did you ask the previous owner if the bolt had ever been changed from the original since purchase/new?
No, but I have his maintenance and repair records and there is not indication that he replaced it previously. By the way, what is it that causes the indents?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
By the way, what is it that causes the indents?
Its from movement of the adjuster end of the primary pulley assembly and the reason the bolt is there. It anchors the end so when the electric motor adjusts the pulley it doesn't just spin in the case rather than adjust.

·
Registered
704 Posts
At 24,600+ miles I decided to replace my stopper bolt yesterday as I hadn't checked on it since around 10,000 miles. Upon removal I noticed it had just one little flat spot which hadn't changed since the first inspection. I figure the initial wear was to get the parts to mate and now there is no wear added. I put the the original stopper bolt back in. Why change it to have the new one wear to the same degree or more as the internal part would most likely wear a little to to match the new bolt.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I might be ocd, but if I take the time to remove that bolt, I'm replacing it with one of the six new ones I bought when I first found out what a stopper bolt was.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I might be ocd, but if I take the time to remove that bolt, I'm replacing it with one of the six new ones I bought when I first found out what a stopper bolt was.

There is a lot of that OCD-CVT on this site , so not to worry it comes with the territory . :D

TheReaper!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Where is the bolt at
It is located at the bottom of the CVT on the right side of the bike.

Mine looks slightly different since it is a 2012 model.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On this note, I recently bought an 09 Berg 650 Exec and have approx. 9,000 miles on it. I looked at the bolt without removing it and it is the "new" style "9" hardened bolt.
I then saw somewhere that beginning in 09 that this issue was fixed with this bolt.
Naturally I just want to make sure. Do I need to take it out and check it periodically or is this one ok and never have to worry about it.
Just thoughts before I need to make a new thread.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Even on a newer model checking the bolt is a good idea. It's a simple thing to do and if you find it is wearing abnormally it will alert you to other possible problems inside the CVT. Experience has convinced some of us that the bolt never was the problem. Wear on it was a symptom of other problems.

·
Registered
240 Posts
On this note, I recently bought an 09 Berg 650 Exec and have approx. 9,000 miles on it. I looked at the bolt without removing it and it is the "new" style "9" hardened bolt.
I then saw somewhere that beginning in 09 that this issue was fixed with this bolt.
Naturally I just want to make sure. Do I need to take it out and check it periodically or is this one ok and never have to worry about it.
Just thoughts before I need to make a new thread.
Thanks!
I checked the stopper bolt....(2012 model year part no. 10G20) @ 7000miles this week.

Its the longer black bolt, and there is a very small 'flat spot' on one part of the tip.

The wear is much less than on my two previous, 07 & 09 Execs that I owned, at around the same mileage.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok,I finally gave in and checked the bolt on my 2010 exec (16000 Kim's)and there is not a mark on it at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts