Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the ignition switch contact module on my 08 Exec last weekend and noticed the next day that the headlights didn't come on when I switched the bike on either before starting it or after. Then briefly for a day they worked and now they're back to being off , except when the flash to pass switch is depressed. Toggling the HI/LO dimmer switch multiple times didn't change anything. Same with the Starter switch.

Any suggestions as how best to proceed? I did a search and it seemed to imply that the dimmer switch might be the culprit but is not independently replaceable/repairable, or that the other common failure is the headlight kill portion of the starter switch and it may or may not be repairable.

I'm going out of town tonight and won't be back until Sunday night, and with daylight savings time switching back Sunday morning, I'm going to be in a world of hurt come the Monday night commute, unless I hold the flash to pass button down the entire time or can do a quick temporary jumper to bypass the whole switch chain, any idea how I can easily accomplish that bypass?

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
You can take the starter button apart and repair it. Several folks have done that. You might first want spray contact cleaner or WD40 in it and see if that fixes the problem.

On the dinner switch side if I remember right the problem there is usually a wire that has come loose and reattaching it solves the problem.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I tried fixing the switch on my 2008 that I briefly owned , I fooled around with it for a couple of hours without success . I know I've read that some have fixed them but I doubt the fix will last very long . Even though I had it working better , I didn't like what I was hearing when it made or missed contact . Personally I think you could do damage elsewhere in the electrical system with the poor contact . I gave up and ordered a new one , replacing it was time consuming because the wiring pig tail runs up under the speedo . :sad1:

TheReaper!

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
You can take the starter button apart and repair it. Several folks have done that. You might first want spray contact cleaner or WD40 in it and see if that fixes the problem.

On the dimmer switch side if I remember right the problem there is usually a WHITE wire that has come loose and reattaching it solves the problem.
I did the repair on my starter button. Make sure you do it over some clean floor space because if you drop a small part on a dark dirty floor you may never find the part. I did mine over some shop towels.

The white wire in the dimmer switch melts the small amount of solder and the wire pops loose. Pi$$ poor soldering from the factory.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I tried fixing the switch on my 2008 that I briefly owned , I fooled around with it for a couple of hours without success . I know I've read that some have fixed them but I doubt the fix will last very long . Even though I had it working better , I didn't like what I was hearing when it made or missed contact . Personally I think you could do damage elsewhere in the electrical system with the poor contact . I gave up and ordered a new one , replacing it was time consuming because the wiring pig tail runs up under the speedo . :sad1:
No problem here but it's my profession. The key things are cleaning, lightly sanding, extending the springs a bit, and using a good dielectric to minimize corrosion/water getting in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts