Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a bad pothole in a construction zone that bent both rims. My rear tire immediately ran flat and would not hold air. The repair shop estimating damage calls for both wheels to be replaced but not the tires. Should I trust them and keep the same tires or also get new tires at this time? Should I argue for insurance to cover it (the construction contractor's insurance is accepting liability)? Is that justifiable and above board? I'm confused if I should be worried that the tires were also potentially damaged and I don't want a future blowout. Any suggestions? Any parts or service I should consider tacking on (outside the insurance coverage) at this time on my 04 Burgman? As I understand the info from the repair shop even without tires the estimate is 1869.04. BTW when I saw the hole it was too late to do more than get some weight shifted onto my feet and flex my knees. In the crash thread going on now there is a lot of talk about braking hard and swerving before an impact. I think there are times when you are better off forgetting the brakes, throttling back, and keeping loose while riding straight through/over an obstacle like a hole or an obstruction like a rock, nuts or animals. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Personally I would replace the tyres, not willing to risk
unseen damage just not worth the risk.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Safety and peace-of-mind first - replace the tires. That the insurance company is accepting liability - kind of a no-brainer.

As you describe it, I would have handled the pothole exactly as you did.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I got the bike back from Lexington Motorsports, the only shop available, after a long 1 month. Most of that was waiting for the insurance company to approve the over $2400 the shop charged to replace the front and rear wheels and tires. I think that's a bunch of money. I kept the damaged parts. I've heard of a Lexington company called Rimtyme that will repair rims. I'm wondering if it is worth a call to see if repair is possible, and the cost. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found Rimtyme does not work on motorcycle wheels. These wheels and tires are heading for the scrap yard.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
agarose Did that $2400 cover new brake disks and mounting hardware? I'm sure they put new bearings and seals. What was included in the damaged parts you got back? I think I would keep any thing except the rims themselves, but then I'm a packrat so I might even keep them. :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, I got just the wheels back, still with bearings and tires still mounted. My brakes survived without damage so were not repaired. That $2400 was just for new wheels and tires. The bearings were about a year old. The wheels were each bent in a single small area on just 1 side of the rims, the front wheel's damage was hardly noticeable. The rear tire is pretty worn and would have needed to be replaced before winter but the front tire has good tread and might be OK but who knows. It was suggested that if this was a 45 mph scooter perhaps there would be a reason to try and salvage them but since they belong on a 90+ mph bike best to let everything go to scrap. I admit that I'm a penny pinching hoarder, but I don't mind riding fast and asphalt is hard. That's why I started the thread to get advice, besides gaining confidence to honestly request that tires be also replaced. I still don't believe the shop did not put tires in the first quote. I had to request that they be added to the insurer. When I saw their parts list I also found they listed just 1 rear bearing and no rear spacer. Instead of admitting it was a mistake they first said they were planning to reuse those parts from the damaged wheel. That makes no sense at $100/h labor to want to reuse $30 worth of old parts that would have to be disassembled (and reuse 1 bearing?). Before they started work I had to drive to their shop and discuss the details of their plan and they finally admitted it was a mistake going from the written worksheet to the typed list. They had to amend the estimate and send it back to the insurance company. That sloppiness is mainly why it took a month and why I requested the old parts back. It seems to be really hard to trust work done in some shops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts